British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Why NZ over OZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/why-nz-over-oz-438250/)

jill1420 Mar 28th 2007 7:33 pm

Why NZ over OZ?

Can anyone who is living in NZ tell me the main benefits to NZ over OZ. (obviously this will come down to personal opinion...just curious......)
I compared crime rate from where I live in Scotland to that of a similar sector in Queensland (per population ratio etc.) and it was noticeably lower over there.

Is it much easier to emigrate to NZ or is this a myth? I can only go to Oz via Study visa (very expensive and risky)

phil01 Mar 28th 2007 11:09 pm

Re: Why NZ over OZ?

Originally Posted by jill1420 (Post 4574101)
Can anyone who is living in NZ tell me the main benefits to NZ over OZ. (obviously this will come down to personal opinion...just curious......)
I compared crime rate from where I live in Scotland to that of a similar sector in Queensland (per population ratio etc.) and it was noticeably lower over there.

Is it much easier to emigrate to NZ or is this a myth? I can only go to Oz via Study visa (very expensive and risky)

This is probably in the wrong thread area, could do with being a general thread.

It comes down to personal preference. I lived in Oz for 13 years, down side to me was deadly insects, killer jellyfish, snakes blah blah blah and extremes in temperature. Also with hubby as a trucker in Oz average is 12 weeks away at a time here he is home every night.

Yes as a Trucker (I know your hubby is) it is much easier to get into NZ and when you are here much easier to try for Permanent Residency.

Crime is crime you get it whereever you go. We have been here nearly a year and have not come across any, have read about it in the paper but nothing has personally affected us, could be luck or could be we picked a nice area to live in! We love NZ and would recommend it to anyone.
Debbie

Beachcombers Mar 29th 2007 1:49 am

Been alot around OZ did not fancy it. Dry, dusty, vast distances, only area we thought that we might like is the South West around Esperance/Albany.

NZ ticked a lot more boxes for us, esp now we have moved to the South Island (sorry Campbells, hope you do not read this as North vs South nastiness).

Campbells Mar 29th 2007 1:59 am

Originally Posted by jill1420 (Post 4574101)

I have been to Oz but not stayed there. I am from Scotland and been in NZ a couple of years now.

In NZ many people ( not all) tend to go for lifestyle first and but that I don’t mean doing your shopping @ M & S. Most people here finish work at 5 and weekend work is a no-no. I am saying that by comparison. I think the Ozzies live a faster pace but then again I can not speak for the outback.

I would say there are great opportunities in NZ and the same in Oz but easier to pursue in NZ. Here in Auckland ( we live north of the city) you can have a city and rural life if that makes sense. We know many folk that have several acres of land and want to bring their kids up close to nature like that rather than the suburbs and shopping malls.

If you read a lot of the posts where folk on this forum defend NZ so strongly it is many times that NZ offers folk the option to balance life between the fast lane & the farm ( or fishing boat).

For example I never really experienced many any after –hours (or weekend) business calls as it seen as disrupting “family time” by NZrs and by comparison had lots of international calls at 22:00 NZ time with no comment from the other side about this factor. NZ places a high value on the family unit and yes there is high volumes of domestic violence here in NZ but from a work perspective I don’t think people here get pushed. In saying that I have encountered lots of Kiwi management styles that try to manage with fear tactics rather than motivation.

The Kiwis are very friendly but for us that does not translate to making friends with them. Most of our friends are Brits and South Africans. Where we live is awesome and we have a street party once a year and all the neighbours know each other but is mostly the non-Kiwis that seem to mix more than once a year. The Kiwis seem more comfortable with Kiwis and that is not just our opinion.

I was in Sydney last year and my first time there. Folk were saying you are going to love it and I didn’t think so due to my experiences with Aussies outside their own country. I loved it, downtown really gave that sense of go and a really well thought out and presented city. This of course is just my first impressions but I sensed that energy that I don’t get in down-town Auckland. Auckland is very cosmopolitan but Sydney definitely more-so.

In the short space of time I spent in Oz I really came away from there feeling like we were missing out on something, like we have settled for the back-water scenario but after a few days back here and the beauty that NZ has to offer I thought it is still great here.

The biggie I have left till last. I think NZ is an awesome country to bring up kids in and we are not disappointed in that area at all. Our son’s smile is like a beacon and that makes us happy. At the age of 4 we have already exposed him to much outdoor activities . Horse riding, Surfing ( boogie board at this stage), boating, fishing, snorkelling and hope to this year expose him to snow activities and he is into most ball sports, even golf at his age. These are all outdoor activities ( except snow) that we can do with him any weeknight in summer after work as these are all within easy reach.

Although I do post thought provoking topics on NZ we also love the fact that NZ kids are friendly. When we take our nipper to the park ( for example) he usually ends up playing with other kids and they have no trouble chatting away to us. Where as by comparison in Scotland I found people would walk past you with their heads down.

Although I say about the Kiwi’s making friends I love the fact that people smile here. I was sitting in a nice café yesterday waiting to meet some people and I was people-watching. Most people when they catch your eye are happy to smile, the ladies included. By comparison to other countries in a scenario like that you would be interpreting that as “other” signals. I love the fact that you can strike up a conversation with most strangers.

Ultimately it is the pro’s & cons that make up the whole ball of wax. Although other members may be convinced that I don’t like it here in NZ we do. Like everything , everywhere & everyone there is the good & the bad, I think it is healthy to discuss both objectively as it shows confidence to actually put the negatives under the microscope, doesn’t mean we are negative people ;)

If there are too many contradictions in that lot for you, well I am getting Kiwized! :thumbup:

Campbells Mar 29th 2007 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Beachcombers (Post 4575648)
Been alot around OZ did not fancy it. Dry, dusty, vast distances, only area we thought that we might like is the South West around Esperance/Albany.

NZ ticked a lot more boxes for us, esp now we have moved to the South Island (sorry Campbells, hope you do not read this as North vs South nastiness).

No worries mate, I am big enough to say that I am totally jealous of the southern alps etc you folk have there :thumbsup:

Jude J Mar 29th 2007 2:35 am

I have only spent a week in Oz, near Surfers on the Gold Coast. I didn't particularly like it, although I know I am in the minority there. I am keen on having plenty more holidays in other places in Oz, but that would be as far as I go. I know without even trying it that i would not like the heat nor the insects.

I love NZ, the good, bad and beautiful. Not seen anything ugly yet, I dont venture into the south of the city which is supposed to be horrible.
I live in roughly the same area as Campbells and there is plenty on offer here. I also have a little one, she is 2, and I am excited about the future for her.

dazal Mar 29th 2007 3:10 am

NZ is I think, a great place to bring up kids and to have a more chilled out lifestyle. We dont have kids so were going for the chilled out lifestyle but saying that when I first moved here I would have preferred it to have been somewhere like Melbourne. The main reason for me is that I am an out and out city girl and Melbourne would offer for me just a tiny bit more that I cant get here, one of those being live theatre (we do have it here but not on the same scale). So if your looking for a real city life, its not really here as such. It is I s'pose but on a much smaller scale. But I think I am in the minority on this score though as most people here seem to really like the rural lifestyle which is great of course but not for me. And to be totally contradictory now, now I have been here for five years I do absolutly love it and would not move to Australia now. For me as much as I love it, NZ was a place to get used to and I am glad to say I certainly did. Didnt take long either. As for safety, well we all know things happen but I just dont feel unsafe here at all and never have. It has never worried me coming home on my own from the city via public transport and is something I do a lot.

Opportunity wise though, well going just by friends who have done it. I do think job opportunties are much better in Australia than here. I am not talking from my own experience here but just by what I have been told from people I know who have made the move from here to there.

jill1420 Mar 29th 2007 12:28 pm

Thanks to you all for replying................really thought provoking.
Dont want it to sound like NZ is 2nd choice. To be honest emigrating would probably have never came into the equation for us if our friends hadnt emigrated to Sunshine Coast...................we went at xmas and loved it!
We can only get in study visa route and as I say very risky expensive.
So instead of giving up NZ seemed the obvious choice. We have got a lot of researching to do re. areas that best suit our needs etc. but uv definitely gave me the oomph to try. Bit scary when we dont know anyone though.
What if kids sent home from school sick etc. etc. I take it there are after school clubs incase we work longer than school hours?
Anyway thanks again.:)

Maz Mar 29th 2007 2:41 pm

Hi Jill. :)

We've not visited either yet, but have done extensive 'net research. A Kiwi friend of mine (dairyman) was in Oz for over a decade until last year. Of course from his point of view the drought (5+ years and still going strong!) was awful for him and his business. I'm sure there's a knock-on effect throughout the country, too. He summed Oz up as "a big desert with an extremely expensive strip of green around the edge". :lol: Enough to put one off. ;)

NZ has always appealed to me. I've always been drawn to it. I probably should have moved there when I was fresh out of college, but oh well!

jill1420 Mar 29th 2007 3:41 pm

Thanks Maz
Ive had an email from a reader who says if I get PR in NZ I am then free to put kids in Oz schools for free. I imagine it takes 2 years in NZ? If so I would consider going with the intention that I dont settle I know I loved Oz. Anyway big adventure ................ quite exciting ................but have we got the bottle to go to the unknown with no network friends/family etc...........we'll see.

Thanks again.................Out of curiosity which area would you have headed to?

Maz Mar 29th 2007 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by jill1420 (Post 4578299)
Thanks Maz
Ive had an email from a reader who says if I get PR in NZ I am then free to put kids in Oz schools for free. I imagine it takes 2 years in NZ? If so I would consider going with the intention that I dont settle I know I loved Oz. Anyway big adventure ................ quite exciting ................but have we got the bottle to go to the unknown with no network friends/family etc...........we'll see.

Thanks again.................Out of curiosity which area would you have headed to?

I think the rules on going to Oz after getting PR (or even citizenship) in NZ either have changed or will change soon. Someone like JAJ might be better to inform on that. Very knowledgeable poster on immigration.

We're heading to the North Island of NZ in two days' time woo hooooo! :D :thumbup: Hopefully will secure a job in Wellington...

jill1420 Mar 29th 2007 5:54 pm

Thanks and good luck!:thumbsup:

ceri75 Mar 29th 2007 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4578697)
I think the rules on going to Oz after getting PR (or even citizenship) in NZ either have changed or will change soon. Someone like JAJ might be better to inform on that. Very knowledgeable poster on immigration.

We're heading to the North Island of NZ in two days' time woo hooooo! :D :thumbup: Hopefully will secure a job in Wellington...

have a safe trip & heres some good luck karma for Wellington :thumbup:

Maz Mar 29th 2007 7:04 pm

Thanks to both! That's very kind of you. :)

Lexylou Mar 29th 2007 7:23 pm

One thing I found is that the friends I made in NZ are really amazing friends. Not sure it that is to do with the country or the people there or just the people we met. We met a couple on our first month there, they shared a love of red wine and we got talking as we sat in a lovely place at the bottom of the Cashmere hills in Christchurch (Jack Flash for anyone local on here), we watched cars slide down Dyers Pass Road and the heavy snow. Our puppy was tucked up happy at home and I have to say it was one of the happiest times.

They are now godparents to our daughter and speak nearly every week. We managed to see them twice last year and spent a wet new year with them in Wellington this year.

People on here always think I try to put people off NZ. I dont. I always say how much I love the place and that it has a lot to offer. My other half is Kiwi and although we had to come back to the UK (personal reasons) we do intend to return to NZ one day. The only things I ever post about are not to expect some fantasy land. I used to come on this forum before I arrived in Christchurch and I have to say the place I read about on here and the place I saw, were very different! That doesnt mean that I didnt like it. NZ is like anywhere, it has its issues but it also has the most amazing bird sounds I have ever heard, I will never get bored of seeing people wearing no shoes everywhere (shops etc) in the summer and the outdoor life is so amazing.

For a young family I think it is a great place to live. My personal opinion is that if we returned we would put our daughter through private education in NZ, for a number of reasons, but the same can be said for where we are now.

Good luck with whatever you decide. You have to be in it to win it and fate does favour the brave.

:thumbsup:

PS - I spent sometime in Brisbane and I quite liked it but something seemed fake about it and I dont know what...... one of my good friends lives in Melborne and LOVES it. She lived in Wellington before and loved it there too but has found, for her and her family total peace and happiness there. She is from the UK and moved out about 6 years ago. It all depends on what you are looking for and what makes you tick!