Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

why NZ over Europe?

why NZ over Europe?

Old Apr 23rd 2013, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why NZ over Europe?

I took the comment "I shouldn't have left in the first place" to be a statement of regret as per this definition,

To feel sorry about (a thing that has happened), afterthink: to wish that a thing had not happened, that something else had happened instead.

That is where my sentence ends. After the full stop comments about positives and negatives are about me, nobody else, unless you are paranoid in which case the entire post, no scratch that, the entire thread is an oblique reference to you.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 4:11 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyEvs
The view of NZ as a cheap, easy, English speaking alternative to the UK really does need to be disabused.
But that view (of past decisions) does rely quite heavily on hindsight.
Having said that....... I can't quite find it in myself to regret the decision we made. It was done for the 'right' reasons and has been just one chapter in a (hopefully) long and varied story. We can draw positives, not just negatives from the experience.
To right mate. Um, I mean +1.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:29 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Just so you guys realise, the OP Moliere has left the building. This is a previously banned user who no longer lives in NZ but who likes to have a bit of a wind up session for those that will bite.

Feel free to continue a discussion but the OP will not be stirring the pot further.
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

I took the comment "I shouldn't have left in the first place" to be a statement of regret as per this definition,

To feel sorry about (a thing that has happened), afterthink: to wish that a thing had not happened, that something else had happened instead.

That is where my sentence ends. After the full stop comments about positives and negatives are about me, nobody else, unless you are paranoid in which case the entire post, no scratch that, the entire thread is an oblique reference to you.
Come again?
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 11:14 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
Come again?
It is part of a conversation between Assanah and Andyevs.

Originally Posted by assanah
That is why I will be returning to Europe (which I shouldn't have left in the first place).
Originally Posted by andyevs
Having said that, unlike another poster here I can't quite find it in myself to regret the decision we made
Originally Posted by assanah
If that is so I need to say that I don't regret my move to NZ because
To feel sorry about (a thing that has happened), afterthink:to wish that a thing had not happened, that something else had happened instead.
All in the use of language I suppose.

Andyevs read it that Assanah is regretful
Assanah states that is not so.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

"Tone of print" a friend once referred to it as.

All explained, with a little bit of tongue in cheek thrown in.

Moving on.....
Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Just so you guys realise, the OP Moliere has left the building. This is a previously banned user who no longer lives in NZ but who likes to have a bit of a wind up session for those that will bite.

Feel free to continue a discussion but the OP will not be stirring the pot further.
Gotta love a troll....not!
Old Apr 24th 2013, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
Come again?
Heh, heh.

Can't help but think of the prefix to this phrase, as per Brick Top's character in the Guy Ritchie film Snatch;

"In the words of the the Virgin Mary ... Come again"

Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Heh, heh.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible ******... me.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse my ignorance but I was obviously under the false impression that the climates in the UK and NZ are broadly similar. Whenever I watch the All Blacks on TV it seems to be raining or windy. Does the North Island v South Island issue have any bearing? The other thing which concerns me as a family man is the propensity for earthquakes, especially in the Christchurch region. Would like to hear your views as quite frankly I am getting fed up with 40degC sunshine nine months a year here in Dubai. Seriously, it's either too hot or humid to venture beyond the front door except between November and March.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

betterskierthanthewife will become famous soon enoughbetterskierthanthewife will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mentalist
Excuse my ignorance but I was obviously under the false impression that the climates in the UK and NZ are broadly similar. Whenever I watch the All Blacks on TV it seems to be raining or windy. Does the North Island v South Island issue have any bearing? The other thing which concerns me as a family man is the propensity for earthquakes, especially in the Christchurch region. Would like to hear your views as quite frankly I am getting fed up with 40degC sunshine nine months a year here in Dubai. Seriously, it's either too hot or humid to venture beyond the front door except between November and March.
Looked at this a while ago on Wikipedia It suggested the Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch all enjoy the best part of 1000 hours more sunshine a year than London. Average temps throughout the year, particularly in winter, are above London.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Heh, heh.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible ******... me.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by betterskierthanthewife
Looked at this a while ago on Wikipedia It suggested the Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch all enjoy the best part of 1000 hours more sunshine a year than London. Average temps throughout the year, particularly in winter, are above London.
And I'd add, average temps in summer are misleading in the sense that an hour in the sun in NZ is really quite intense to the same temperature in London, though one would assume the Dubai sunshine borders on horrific at times.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Feel like I'm in that 4 Yorkshireman sketch here.
40°C? We used to dream of 40°C in Qatar! On the day I left (early July) the temperature by the pool was reading 54°C.
I couldn't wait to get back to seasons and temperatures that didn't turn your car into a 4 wheeled blast furnace.
As for the weather, we live on the west coast of the NI and I would have to say that the weather is a bit wetter than in the UK (we were on the south coast) but also warmer generally. The winters are not as extreme. One difference we have noticed here is that when it is hot that heat doesn't remain in the evening in the same way as it does in the UK.
The weather thing has been done to death on this site. Broadly speaking the weather is similar, but definitely not the same.
As for earthquakes, we've had a few and live in the shadow of a dormant volcano. If that goes off it will make a right mess of the garden, although in our case it would be difficult to tell. As Boston demonstrated last week, where is safe?
Old Apr 25th 2013, 5:51 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Simple

NZ is 20,000km approx away from UK

My life is not being dictated by Angela Merkel or any other European MEPs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.