Why NZ ???

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:49 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Why NZ ???

Originally Posted by Garbanza
Would love to Berni, problem is we now live in NZ, haven't had the time lately to edit the Berko bit and put Silverstream NZ which is where we reside now. Are you thinking of coming over here, if you do we can try and blog what it was like for us getting here and how we doing 2 years later..
That's a great idea Garbanza if you could spare the time that is. It would be just so interesting to read from your perspective.

Karma your way for the idea and offer.

Perhaps start a thread in the Updates section of our NZ forum which is an easy place for us to read your stuff. If that doesn't appeal , you can start a British Expats blog. You'll find the link to do that at the top of the BE page in the blue menu.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 5:35 pm
Banned

Craftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bumpkin
All your posts are really interesting. Following your heart is just lovely and so glad to hear a lot of you are happy, which is the main thing really.

Like you say its not for everyone, but its great to hear your reasons.

Thank you so much for you posts and keep them coming.

Love Bumpkin xx
We moved here from the UK in 1995! that is my wife two young lads (now 23 & 25), we moved here because it took me 30 years to realise that I was just a number at work and redundancy was the norm at that time.

To be totally honest my expectations of NZ weren't high, so we settled fairly quickly, the first two years being the worst due to homesickness (me not my wife).....We located to a rural area of NZ which was not too far away from two major cities, the lifestyle suited us after living in cities in the UK all my life!

NZ has been very good to us, hard work yes, low pay yes, expensive in those earlier days yes, high tax yes, but now although not rich, we don't go without much, have a wonderful 4 bedroomed house amd an acre of garden, we eat well (too well), have clothes on our back, and 2 cars and a Ute (for towing the boat) I often wonder what I would have had if I had stayed in the UK?

We have no desire to go back to the UK after all these years, and recently (after all this time) applied for citizenship. Since I've been here I've seen families move back to the UK saying NZ is not for them (this happened recently to a family after 18 months), but also now far more families who have decided to stay and make a go of it. I an understand that for some people it's a shock as the truth is NZ is not like the UK, it has it's problems like any other country, but the air is still clean, you can still walk and fish on a totally deserted beach, go 5 minutes and be in the countryside or visit a city and have an English Pint

Being an employer, who has employed new arrivals (both went home) I've seen them come with the wrong attitude, misinformation (no the streets aren't paved with gold), come please just don't expect to get rich quick and find every house has modern heating, history equal to the UK and exciting things to do every day, it may not happen...for a while at least..

So for us NZ is just perfect..

cheers

Last edited by Craftsman; Mar 6th 2010 at 6:25 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 6:08 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftsman
We moved here from the UK in 1995! that is my wife two young lads (now 23 & 25), we moved here because it took me 30 years to realise that I was just a number at work and redundancy was the norm at that time.

To be totally honest my expectations of NZ weren't high, so we settled fairly quickly, the first two years being the worst due to homesickness (me not my wife).....We located to a rural area of NZ which was not too far away from two major cities, the lifestyle suited us after living in cities in the UK all my life!

NZ has been very good to us, hard work yes, low pay yes, expensive in those earlier days yes, high tax yes, but now although not rich, we don't go without much, have a wonderful 4 bedroomed house amd an acre of garden, we eat well (too well), have clothes on our back, and 2 cars and a Ute (for towing the boat) I often wonder what I would have had if I had stayed in the UK?

We have no desire to go back to the UK after all these years, and recently (after all this time) applied for citizenship. Since I've been here I've seen families move back to the UK saying NZ is not for them (this happened recently to a family after 18 months), but also now far more families who have decided to stay and make a go of it. I an understand that for some people it's a shock as the truth is NZ is not like the UK, it has it's problems like any other country, but the air is still clean, you can still walk and fish on a totally deserted beach, go 5 minutes and be in the countryside or visit a city and have an English Pint

Being an employer, who has employed new arrivals (both went home) I've seen them come with the wrong attitude, misinformation (no the streets are paved with gold), come please just don't expect to get rich quick and find every house has modern heating, history equal to the UK and exciting things to do every day, it may not happen...for a while at least..

cheers
Lovely post, lovely attitude have some karma

Dewb
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:07 pm
Banned

Craftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant futureCraftsman has a brilliant future

Thanks Dewb,

I guess I was one of the lucky ones, from reading some of the blogs on this forum,

:Lucky I got made redundant from my job in the UK after being there for 25 years

:Lucky because we came to NZ with only $8,000NZ in our pockets, a disabled son and a dream...

:Lucky because I moved to an area where good workers were needed.

:Lucky because I was able to find the right work, buy a second hand car for $4000.NZ to get around

:Lucky to Find Kiwi bosses who valued my work and let me work 14 hour days until I had enough to get a house deposit together

:Lucky to have a wife who would stick with me through the bad times and told me we had to make this work as we couldn't go back to the UK!

:Lucky to have found a house in the middle of no where to do up and sell for a profit

:Lucky to be able to graft my butt of until I could prove myself to the other Kiwi's and finally buy into the company and become a Director.....

Luckily after 15 years and being 52 years old now I can reap the benefits of my hard work and have a wonderful life, loving family and the benefits of kiwidom, now my only stress is whether to retire at 55 or not hahahaha

cheers
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:22 pm
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Dewb,

I guess I was one of the lucky ones, from reading some of the blogs on this forum,

:Lucky I got made redundant from my job in the UK after being there for 25 years

:Lucky because we came to NZ with only $8,000NZ in our pockets, a disabled son and a dream...

:Lucky because I was able to find the right work, buy a second hand car for $4000.NZ to get around

:Lucky to Find Kiwi bosses who valued my work and let me work 14 hour days until I had enough to get a house deposit together

:Lucky to have a wife who would stick with me through the bad times and told me we had to make this work as we couldn't go back to the UK!

:Lucky to have found a house in the middle of no where to do up and sell for a profit

:Lucky to be able to graft my butt of until I could prove myself to the other Kiwi's and finally buy into the company and become a Director.....

Luckily after 15 years and being 52 years old now I can reap the benefits of my hard work and have a wonderful life, loving family and the benefits of kiwidom, now my only stress is whether to retire at 55 or not hahahaha

cheers
Gosh! So good on ya!
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice

Being an employer, who has employed new arrivals (both went home) I've seen them come with the wrong attitude, misinformation (no the streets aren't paved with gold), come please just don't expect to get rich quick and find every house has modern heating, history equal to the UK and exciting things to do every day, it may not happen...for a while at least..

cheers
Hi

Thank you for a lovely read....says so much....and for us still trying to make the move it's lovely to read success stories...NZ isn't for everyone thats for sure but well you can't live in a world of 'if and maybe' well l for sure am one that can't.
Sometimes for some stepping out of their comfort zone is harder than it is when reality kicks in...who knows that could include me ... so hey ho here l go off to do some more research...
Again thank you
xElainex
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Bumpkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all so much for the wonderful posts you have shared with us, from you highs and lows of NZ. Its great to hear "from the horses mouth" as they say!!!

I suppose there is good and bad in everything, its just finding your own path and most important is being happy with all you do, whether its staying in NZ or moving back to your home land, or elsewhere!!

Have a fantastic day
With Love
Bumpkin x
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

ibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud of

my only stress is whether to retire at 55 or not
Sounds like serious dilemma.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:26 am
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Dewb,

cheers
Reckon you've made your own luck there mate! It is really nice to hear of someone grafting hard and getting the rewards they deserve for it - good on ya!
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Honeybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really niceHoneybug is just really nice

Came on holiday 3 times, fell in love! (with NZ) Then met a man, fell in love with him too! Brought him to NZ and he to fell in love!
And as they say, the rest is history-7 years on.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

What a love-ly story!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 6:28 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbanza
Lived in the UK for 23 years, long enough to buy a flat, travel all over the place, have a long relationship which still lasts with the husband and finally have 2 wonderful boys 5 and 11. Unfortunately me being the kiwi in the relationship, I was slowly becoming isolated even though I/we would come back and holiday here every 4 years. I have good friends and a doting grandma for the kids but it wasn't enough to keep me there. What I didn't realise was just how deep my roots had become entrenched there and on reflection I suppose I have spent half of my life there in the UK. My london hubby has no problem here except there is no real tennis court. But for me I have not adjusted very well but have come to terms with being here now. NZders are rather parochial and I find they don't have a sense of humour, god forbid if you should crack a joke in the supermarket. My advice for the lady in Wanganui who is not happy there is to try holidaying in one of the main cities like Auckland, Welly or Christchurch and seeing if that might be a possibility to move to somewhere there where there is more than 2 people. Other than that I have come to appreciate less cars, less crowds and a more relaxed pace of life.
Hi Garbanza

I was interested to read your post as I am in a similar position, a kiwi with 23 years in UK. I was wondering how hard you found it to settle back into NZ life after so long. I am feeling the draw of family (thanks facebook!) and revisiting the idea of returning. Auckland would be my destination as my family live there. I'm quite happy to downshift a bit I think. I was wondering from your post, what things did you find difficult to adjust to?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:27 am
Just Joined

Garbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really nice

In answer to your question(s), have been here now for 2 and a half years and find the transition ongoing and I think it will be for me a long time to permanently settle down. I have chilled out gradually and appreciate the conservation area we live in which is great in the summer and f@#$k.. cold and damp in the winter. We have had to get gas central heating installed as there was literally no insulation in the walls and ceilings and only 1 electric heater to cover a 5 bed 2 storey house. Plus we are also going to get a logburner as well to save on the gas bills. So Central Heating, being able to talk on a mobile phone and not having to text all the time is something that I sorely miss. John Lewis, M&S, Ikea, the architecture of London and where I lived in Berko, holidays to Europe, Art Galleries and plenty of things to do, the British sense of humour and all the history you can digest around the whole of Britain, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Here the pluses are beautiful scenery on your doorstep, being able to get away from the masses within 15 mins, less cars on the motorways, THE FAMILY and potato top pies. I would advise coming out for a holiday IN WINTER and going to Auckland where you are thinking of possibly residing and really look around the area and the job market, properties and what you can get for your money. Make sure you take off your rose coloured spectacles as well. Remember the wages are lower here than in the UK and NZ is not cheap anymore. I have met a lot of fellow kiwis who do not have the common courtesy of saying thankyou when opening doors for them etc etc, and letting their children barge in in front of you and their parents not seeming to correct bad manners which is odd as we teach our children to be polite and yet the adults including older people don't acknowledge you. Sorry a major irritant for me.... The family aspect is great but funnily enough can have its drawbacks depending on whether you are from a close knit family. I love mine but have realised it is possible to live away from them as well, even if you have children. I don't have the family babysitters I thought I was going to get as they are also still working or living to far away to be able to use their services. Say hello to John Lewis's for me, I still get their emails sent to my Inbox and occasionally buy clothes from them and get my mother-in-law to send them too me. How sad is that! If you want more info I have an email address you can write to. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 4:56 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Potato top pies - I had forgotten about those!!!!! I also really love NZ cakes with real cream.

Thanks Garbanza. That's really helpful. My mum has pretty much convinced me to keep my house here and rent it out in case I change my mind. Actually makes sense for several reasons I won't go into right now. I am also considering starting a business, and I have got my mum working on some ideas.

I'm more a Marks and Spencers girl but I do like shopping in Waitrose, so I think I would miss that.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Garbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really nice

We were going to invest in a rental property along with other friends there before we left, but No.2 son came along as so that plan went out the window. The setting up of a business here would be something you should definitely thoroughly research, we know for a fact that you have to pay tax on your own stock at the end of the financial year, much like the States. A bit of a shock as it's your own bought stock. It might be an idea to start a thread re: starting your own business. Another thing I miss is the huge choice of soft furnishings and anything to do with interior design stuff. We bought up large on quite a few things like large silver mirrors, glass chandeliers, paintings and prints some of these things you can get here but so much more expensive. Depending on whether your taste in clothes or shoes are expensive I would have bought more shoes and clothes including lingerie as they are dear as well. I just remembered custard squares which were a favourite of mine. A cuppucino is now just over $5 so you won't get much change out of $10 for a coffee and a cake. Join a library as books are expensive as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.