British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Why New Zealand? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/why-new-zealand-792670/)

M_and_M Apr 2nd 2013 7:43 pm

Why New Zealand?

I am sure its been said before but what are your concise answers to that if asked by UK based relatives / friends?

I am struggling to be concise with it and my family have 10001 counter arguments to all my comments so far!

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 2nd 2013 8:05 pm

Re: Why New Zealand?

"Why not?" Then tell them that your question was rhetorical!

M_and_M Apr 2nd 2013 8:19 pm

I tried that! Lol

downunderpom Apr 2nd 2013 8:42 pm

"You don't live there."

(Well, at least if they stop talking to you, you won't have to answer any more awkward questions! :D)

passthevalium Apr 2nd 2013 8:46 pm

I met someone at Christmas on the Picton ferry who's from the UK who simply told me that he was 'finding himself, for who he was right now'
a wonderful answer, it baffles people and leaves them speechless.

Genesis Apr 2nd 2013 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by M_and_M (Post 10637084)
I am sure its been said before but what are your concise answers to that if asked by UK based relatives / friends?

I am struggling to be concise with it and my family have 10001 counter arguments to all my comments so far!

Because life is too short. Because it is very empty, good if you hate madding crowds. It is an adventure, it is VERY different from the UK, it is very exciting to actually do the move, it took years and years for the excitement to wear off. It is a raw, beautiful country with many, many empty roads, empty beaches and SPACE!!

NZ has so much going for it in many, many ways but of course there are possibly as many down sides to living here too. You have to make sure the shite bucket is outweighed by the unshite one. For most of the 8 years here the shite bucket was lighter, it became heavier in recent times but now I am managing to skim some off. It is a roller coaster.

But am I glad I did it overall? Certainly, in the dark times I may have spat nails and said different but so much has come out of being here that is good.

The main things you need to consider are the terrible exchange rate and your projected earnings against the very high cost of living here. Plus VERY expensive housing in relation to wages.

ellenarosemary Apr 2nd 2013 9:07 pm

Because if you dont try it you will regret it for the rest of your life!!! Dont be one of those many people who turn around in 10 years time and say 'I wish'

Snap Shot Apr 2nd 2013 9:28 pm

'Cause my husband is a New Zealander and he wanted to come to back to NZ. I thought, 'mid life crisis, ooh, can I come ?' Been in NZ over two years now. SUCH fun.

downunderpom Apr 2nd 2013 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 10637169)
Because it is very empty, good if you hate madding crowds. It is a raw, beautiful country with many, many empty roads, empty beaches and SPACE!!

My sentiments exactly. :goodpost:

RobClubley Apr 2nd 2013 9:33 pm

We came on holiday, it seemed nice. And we know once we'd seriously considered it, we'd regret not doing it.

barnsleymat Apr 2nd 2013 9:35 pm

Cos it ain't that bankrupt over populated litter covered sh1thole full of state sponsored lazy layabouts I used to call home that only Eastern European peasants would ever dream of living.

There's no future in the UK, it's on it's arse.

love30stm Apr 2nd 2013 9:45 pm

Because ;)

ChrisWilson7 Apr 2nd 2013 9:54 pm

I haven't had to argue anything and everyone's been really cool about it, but it's been a long month of repeating the same story about what I'm doing to the umpteenth asker - all part of the process I know and I value people wanting and needing to know what I'm doing, but you just get bored of yourself talking! :zzz:

Tom1983 Apr 2nd 2013 10:33 pm

It's not the UK

Your tax doesn't go to keeping police officers outside a scumbags house on connaught square, london every day of the week

Acutally real reason (must stop ranting about that lot back there)

Job was on the skilled shortage list, less chance of being made redundant every 28 weeks, why not give it a go!

AndyEvs Apr 3rd 2013 4:39 am

At the time we would have answered
For the kids
For the adventure

That was then..........