Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Old Sep 12th 2010, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Originally Posted by Gun4Hire

While my wife is Australian both her and myself do not like the average Australian, it's split with half of Australians being the rudest people you've ever met and the other half being the nicest. [/B]
I just don't like the whole atmosphere of the country - stinking hot, arrogant, rude, crime, muslim, burglar, unsophisticated etc etc. yuck.

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 12th 2010 at 2:31 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 4:02 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

. The horrible half think that Australia is the greatest country on earth, despite the fact that they probably haven't been out of their own state.
Ha ha. Sadly, though, I've met travelling Aussies who genuinely believe this too. Austraya is the greatest blah blah blah, that kind of one-eyed jingoism. But then to be fair I think there are some kiwis who think this way, they just tend to be quieter about it.

Since I moved to Vancouver I've often been asked if I'm Australian. When I say no I'm a kiwi, the response is often "Oh good" or "Oh, that's better." I was surprised to learn Aussies aren't that popular over here. A lot come over to Whistler etc. for skiing but they seem to rub the locals the wrong way.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I think they are both good places and it depends far more on where you live, and your circumstances, than the country itself. Each country has its fair share of good and bad people just like everywhere else. There really is a lot of unhelpful country and city parochialism on both threads - though I know peoples opinion was requested Some of the people who are well traveled are still knobs and some who have never been anywhere are delightful - in both countries.

Last edited by fish.01; Sep 13th 2010 at 12:08 am.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Ha ha. Sadly, though, I've met travelling Aussies who genuinely believe this too. Austraya is the greatest blah blah blah, that kind of one-eyed jingoism. But then to be fair I think there are some kiwis who think this way, they just tend to be quieter about it.

Since I moved to Vancouver I've often been asked if I'm Australian. When I say no I'm a kiwi, the response is often "Oh good" or "Oh, that's better." I was surprised to learn Aussies aren't that popular over here. A lot come over to Whistler etc. for skiing but they seem to rub the locals the wrong way.
Absolute nonsense. I know heaps of people who have worked over in the resorts there (yes worked not just there to ski) and the Canadians got on really well with the Aussies. Just because a small percentage of Australians perhaps haven't earned themselves a good reputation it doesn't mean the Canadians generally dislike Australians.

Anyway, from what I heard reported by the media from the winter Olympics this year, there is an element of the same over the top parochialism and jingoism amongst the Canadians as well, so perhaps some of them may have rubbed the Aussies up the wrong way also, it's usually a two way street
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:49 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Absolute nonsense. I know heaps of people who have worked over in the resorts there (yes worked not just there to ski) and the Canadians got on really well with the Aussies. Just because a small percentage of Australians perhaps haven't earned themselves a good reputation it doesn't mean the Canadians generally dislike Australians.

Anyway, from what I heard reported by the media from the winter Olympics this year, there is an element of the same over the top parochialism and jingoism amongst the Canadians as well, so perhaps some of them may have rubbed the Aussies up the wrong way also, it's usually a two way street
Oh dear. Seems I have hit a nerve, eh? It's not nonsense, it's happened too often for that AND to other people I know. I don't know for sure where it comes from, I'm just assuming it's from interactions in Whistler, which is where most of them seem to be working or whatever they are doing up there.

And where did i say Canadians generally dislike Australians? That's a biiiiiiiiig stretch.

Honestly, it surprised me too.

But as I'm here and you're there I win. Ding ding!

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Sep 13th 2010 at 5:00 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of aussies there partying so follows people get annoyed. Thats what I was told anyway. Same reaction if there was same number of kiwis partying. Have seem them both go at it hard and not a shred of difference. Most countries can barely tell us apart. Both countries have the more refined and the less.

Last edited by fish.01; Sep 14th 2010 at 5:44 am.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:16 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

Australians are either...

1. Immigrants who won't assimilate (chinese, greeks, english)
2. Bogans
3. Arrogant rich (but still bogan in their outlook and no class whatsoever)

It also has an extreme climate and is very expensive.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:46 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

The whole snake spider creepy crawlie danger thing is the biggest lie/ myth ever about OZ, Almost no one ever has any problems with them and no one ever worries about it, especially those living in cities and suburbia, Its only people that have never been to OZ think the wildlife is a serious danger. More people are killed by falling trees in OZ every year then the dangerous wildlife, its just like saying l'm affraid to move to the USA incase l get attacked by rattlesnakes or grizzly bears. Your 1,000 times more liekly to be killed in a road accident in OZ.
Also the heat issue most of the year it is not hot it only gets hot in summer, l think OZ has a nice climate.

Last edited by mohogony; Sep 14th 2010 at 11:48 am.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:50 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Australia is a successful, vibrant, wealthy country , New Zealand is not.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Gun4Hire has a spectacular aura aboutGun4Hire has a spectacular aura aboutGun4Hire has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mohogony
Australia is a successful, vibrant, wealthy country , New Zealand is not.
Depends on what you do. Australia is quite a few places higher in the GDP per capita for the UK, but I made 3 or 4 times as much money in the UK than you'd make in Australia for the same job. NZ of course is ranked even lower again, but again even today I'd personally get twice as much money in NZ as I'd get in Australia ($45-$70AUD p.h. v $95$140NZD p.h.).

Australia makes and exports nothing but minerals which, happily are worth a lot right now. It is a great country for working people who get paid very well indeed. But for high end professionals the pay is absolutely crap and the tax is sky high. NZ not only exports lamb and dairy products but it also manufactures a fair bit for a small country and creates a lot of high end software. Australia cannot even make aluminium from it's own bauxite they have to get NZ to do that and then of course manufacture windows to send to Europe.

In Australia they have two people per checkout - that's one of the reasons you pay so much for groceries, it is also one of the reasons why unemployment is low - lots of thick people doing pointless jobs. For similar reasons, the average Australian is a bartender in London when they come over but the average Kiwi is a tax lawyer or banker.

It's like saying that America is the best country to work in because it is really huge and extremely successful - it doesn't necessarily correspond to good money in your own personal circumstances.

Australia has been trying to recruit immigrants for ages now, has masses of Muslims, Sudanese, Somalis a huge number from the North of England.

I am not advocating one place over another per se, but you must work out what s best for you in your circumstances. The best money to be made in Australia is made in construction, building and trades - especially if you can get away without paying tax which, is easy in Australia, not so easy for the middle class who get screwed.

Final thing, cars in a Australia are even older and crappier than in NZ, they put huge import duty on decent German cars so people are forced to drive cheap Fords or Holdens (Vauxhall), which is fine if you don't like having choice. I was considering exporting my car from the UK to Australia - the shipping was fair but the taxes were eye watering. They like to kid themselves in Australia that actually have a car industry but given they are just making American cars, that's bollocks.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

If you like your outdoors exploits and having 'weekenders' exploring then NZ wins handsdown. I found Oz frustrating,everything is too far away and outside the bounds of the weekend return roadtrip. As a result,you are stuck with Aussie suburban lifestyle ..... mmmmm Yes of course you have the beaches in Oz,but then if you've seen one then you've seen 'em all over there.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what you do. Australia is quite a few places higher in the GDP per capita for the UK, but I made 3 or 4 times as much money in the UK than you'd make in Australia for the same job. NZ of course is ranked even lower again, but again even today I'd personally get twice as much money in NZ as I'd get in Australia ($45-$70AUD p.h. v $95$140NZD p.h.).

Australia makes and exports nothing but minerals which, happily are worth a lot right now. It is a great country for working people who get paid very well indeed. But for high end professionals the pay is absolutely crap and the tax is sky high. NZ not only exports lamb and dairy products but it also manufactures a fair bit for a small country and creates a lot of high end software. Australia cannot even make aluminium from it's own bauxite they have to get NZ to do that and then of course manufacture windows to send to Europe.

In Australia they have two people per checkout - that's one of the reasons you pay so much for groceries, it is also one of the reasons why unemployment is low - lots of thick people doing pointless jobs. For similar reasons, the average Australian is a bartender in London when they come over but the average Kiwi is a tax lawyer or banker.

It's like saying that America is the best country to work in because it is really huge and extremely successful - it doesn't necessarily correspond to good money in your own personal circumstances.

Australia has been trying to recruit immigrants for ages now, has masses of Muslims, Sudanese, Somalis a huge number from the North of England.

I am not advocating one place over another per se, but you must work out what s best for you in your circumstances. The best money to be made in Australia is made in construction, building and trades - especially if you can get away without paying tax which, is easy in Australia, not so easy for the middle class who get screwed.

Final thing, cars in a Australia are even older and crappier than in NZ, they put huge import duty on decent German cars so people are forced to drive cheap Fords or Holdens (Vauxhall), which is fine if you don't like having choice. I was considering exporting my car from the UK to Australia - the shipping was fair but the taxes were eye watering. They like to kid themselves in Australia that actually have a car industry but given they are just making American cars, that's bollocks.
This has to be one of the dumbest posts ever. Where do I start? Australia makes and exports nothing but minerals - what a load of bollocks. I think you will find minerals still only make up a relatively small proportion of GDP. People only drive crappy cars? Has this guy actually been to Australia? Just about everything written by this clown is incorrect.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Gun4Hire has a spectacular aura aboutGun4Hire has a spectacular aura aboutGun4Hire has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Budawang
This has to be one of the dumbest posts ever. Where do I start? Australia makes and exports nothing but minerals - what a load of bollocks. I think you will find minerals still only make up a relatively small proportion of GDP. People only drive crappy cars? Has this guy actually been to Australia? Just about everything written by this clown is incorrect.
Yes live in Melbourne for three years ten years ago, and visited every third Christmas for the holidays over those ten years, my wife is from there (Geelong originally). Come on people do drive crappy old cars, you cannot be serious!

Last edited by Gun4Hire; Sep 14th 2010 at 10:12 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Budawang
Maybe I did get a little carried away on reflection, but I guess the point is that everything depends on your exact circumstances. There is more than mining including financial services etc but nothing serious is manufactured and exported. Perth runs a massive surplus but Melbourne runs at a huge cost to the Australian tax payer - you work that one out. It is mining that has increased the strength of the AUD, if Australia was a big exporter of manufactured goods then the economy would be in strife because of the high value of the AUD - but it isn't.

What else was incorrect? I wasn't deliberately trying to put anyone wrong and maybe as a hapless clown I could learn a thing or two from you in your infinite wisdom. Please don't mention cars again because that is absolutely hilarious, you cannot have been outside Australia quite seriously.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Auskiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe I did get a little carried away on reflection, but I guess the point is that everything depends on your exact circumstances. There is more than mining including financial services etc but nothing serious is manufactured and exported. Perth runs a massive surplus but Melbourne runs at a huge cost to the Australian tax payer - you work that one out. It is mining that has increased the strength of the AUD, if Australia was a big exporter of manufactured goods then the economy would be in strife because of the high value of the AUD - but it isn't.

What else was incorrect? I wasn't deliberately trying to put anyone wrong and maybe as a hapless clown I could learn a thing or two from you in your infinite wisdom. Please don't mention cars again because that is absolutely hilarious, you cannot have been outside Australia quite seriously.
Look, as an Aussie married to a Kiwi, I can understand Australia is a goddamn awful place..that's why there are so many Kiwi's here, cos it's terrible..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.