Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Old Sep 11th 2010, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

squarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to all
Default Re: Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Originally Posted by colandros
I dont get the no snakes, spider thing.
The way people go on about it you would think they are falling out
of every cupboard and living in every garden and its just not like that.
Its not more an issue than having the white tail here in NZ.
People just blow it up out all proportion, its ridiculous.
We have 2 sets of friends from Queensland and they laugh at my fear of things that can eat me.

When we lived in the tropics we never had carpets - always white tiled floors and a night light somewhere in the bedroom section of the house - and when ever you got up to go to the loo, you automatically did a floor scan before you put your feet out of bed because the scary stuff comes out at night and you can see the shapes of snakes or big spiders easily enough against a white floor.

Of course you can live happily in these places and you just develop habits that keep the things out. Aircon was our biggest friend, I was of the opinion that if the house was at least 10 degrees colder than outside, nothing in it's right mind would want to come in.

I was riding out once with friends and something caused my horse to rear, spin 180 and rear again, I fell off the second time into thick grass - and instead of thinking "Move away from the 1 ton animal river dancing over your head" I just thought '"Sh*t - snakes!!!!"

It was that single experience that made me plump for NZ over Oz, that and riding into the sea up to my horses girth and a friend saying " You know there are salt water crocodiles here don't you"

We will probably go live in Oz at some time in the future - even if just for the duration of a contract. Life's too short not to try everything at least once.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

squarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Auskiwi
Great post! I agree, the schooling was awesome for us in Christchurch! :
We also looked at schools in Christchurch - they've got a fantastic reputation. It's only the job offer that caused us to come here. Hope if you're still in CHch, everything is working out for you and that you and yours are all ok
Old Sep 11th 2010, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Auskiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by squarepants
We also looked at schools in Christchurch - they've got a fantastic reputation. It's only the job offer that caused us to come here. Hope if you're still in CHch, everything is working out for you and that you and yours are all ok
No, we are back in Oz now, which was meant to be temporary, but with the quake they aren't opening another office, so we won't be going back to Christchurch in the near future anyway...but yes, it was good while it lasted!
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=squarepants;8840659]There are lots of reasons why things are more expensive here, they're logical and they make sense - but ultimately, doesn't matter if you understand them or not - you have to balance the books at the end of the month. [QUOTE]

Ah well our experiences are bound to be different as I think we are at very different life stages If you could explain this a bit more it would be helpful for my befuddled brain My experiences have, apart from a few things, been the opposite of that statement as have others who have also posted. For example, I find that banking is more expensive as they seem to charge for everything particularly at counter stuff (unless you of course do it online which seems to be free but Visa Debit cards with ASB have a six-monthly charge - may look into switching banks!), raspberries were rather prices but for other things like beds it is far cheaper (just got a very comfy brand new king bed for $700), and the most beautiful pots and pans and knife set for about a third of what I would pay in the UK. If you shop around you can get some excellent bargains. I got a kettle for $12 and a toaster for $11 in Warehouse which is fine for us starting up.

Broadband, phone etc is about what we were paying before in the UK, possibly around £10 a month more expensive. We used to have massive mobile phone bills though in the UK and here we have switched to pay as you go to cut that cost down and do everything by text!

We are still doing £ to $ conversions as we have yet to be paid and are both working. Our salaries, again if you do an exchange rate conversion is about what we were on in the UK (and I am not sure that is the best way I think Genesis had a good thread on this a while back). Sorry OP I am not sure how to link threads.

As for the most expensive place - I lived in Singapore for many years and for an average expat life that is well beyond the prices of NZ for many basics such as rent. I'd love to move back there but we can't afford it, even though I could get work quite easily. We had to leave as it was getting to expensive for us to live there and that was several years ago.

Going back a bit to the OP about Oz - my aunt in Oz is worried that she won't have enough to retire on, even though she's been there for well over 30 years now (she is a nurse). So there are problems on both sides of the pond. Everyone's personal circumstances are different so it is very much up to the individual person/family unit of course. Good luck with your decision

Last edited by londonescapee; Sep 11th 2010 at 7:27 am.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
The white tail will not kill you whereas some spiders and many snakes, crocs and sharks will have a good go at getting you 6 foot under. One assumes you have no overbearing fears of anything?
I lived there for a year and despite a couple of huntsman spiders in my garage
i didnt see anything else.
No snakes, no crocs, no sharks. I have however seen two sharks here in nz.
I have seen plenty of white tails. The white tail may not kill you but i'd rather
see no things that can bite you and kill you than lots of things that can make
you seriously ill.
I have no aversions to anything really, i can live with anything and if i cant i'll kill it

I was planning on getting to phillip island for this years Motogp but events
caused a change of plans. Next year is a definate for me.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=londonescapee;8840743][QUOTE=squarepants;8840659]There are lots of reasons why things are more expensive here, they're logical and they make sense - but ultimately, doesn't matter if you understand them or not - you have to balance the books at the end of the month.

Ah well our experiences are bound to be different as I think we are at very different life stages If you could explain this a bit more it would be helpful for my befuddled brain My experiences have, apart from a few things, been the opposite of that statement as have others who have also posted. For example, I find that banking is more expensive as they seem to charge for everything particularly at counter stuff (unless you of course do it online which seems to be free but Visa Debit cards with ASB have a six-monthly charge - may look into switching banks!), raspberries were rather prices but for other things like beds it is far cheaper (just got a very comfy brand new king bed for $700), and the most beautiful pots and pans and knife set for about a third of what I would pay in the UK. If you shop around you can get some excellent bargains. I got a kettle for $12 and a toaster for $11 in Warehouse which is fine for us starting up.

Broadband, phone etc is about what we were paying before in the UK, possibly around £10 a month more expensive. We used to have massive mobile phone bills though in the UK and here we have switched to pay as you go to cut that cost down and do everything by text!

We are still doing £ to $ conversions as we have yet to be paid and are both working. Our salaries, again if you do an exchange rate conversion is about what we were on in the UK (and I am not sure that is the best way I think Genesis had a good thread on this a while back). Sorry OP I am not sure how to link threads.

As for the most expensive place - I lived in Singapore for many years and for an average expat life that is well beyond the prices of NZ for many basics such as rent. I'd love to move back there but we can't afford it, even though I could get work quite easily. We had to leave as it was getting to expensive for us to live there and that was several years ago.

Going back a bit to the OP about Oz - my aunt in Oz is worried that she won't have enough to retire on, even though she's been there for well over 30 years now (she is a nurse). So there are problems on both sides of the pond. Everyone's personal circumstances are different so it is very much up to the individual person/family unit of course. Good luck with your decision
If my tone in here is ever snippy - it's not intentional, I type faster than I think and it's not the same as sitting face to face and chatting.

We've got guests over this evening and I'm having a sanity break in the bedroom on the laptop but I'll give a little detail tomorrow.

Basically for us, the rent is more than the mortgage would have been - but, we're not in negative equity and the houses have dropped in value since we moved here.

Food (especially fresh fruit, veg and foodie stuff like sun dried tomatoes and feta) is really expensive, but crap is cheap.

36 bags of crisps are cheaper than a cucumber and a pepper!

Electricity is the other really expensive thing.

Right better go, being a rude host

Good luck with it all, we wouldn't move back to UK - but wish we'd known a little more about the cost of basics.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by colandros
I lived there for a year and despite a couple of huntsman spiders in my garage
i didnt see anything else.
No snakes, no crocs, no sharks. I have however seen two sharks here in nz.
I have seen plenty of white tails. The white tail may not kill you but i'd rather
see no things that can bite you and kill you than lots of things that can make
you seriously ill.
I have no aversions to anything really, i can live with anything and if i cant i'll kill it

I was planning on getting to phillip island for this years Motogp but events
caused a change of plans. Next year is a definate for me.

Good for you, hope you enjoy it at Phillip Island!

Living in Sydney I don't see these creatures, except at the zoo, but I have seen some ripper Huntsman spiders, thankfully not since I've been back!

Queensland is legendary for big things-spiders, cane toads, orb web spiders, bats, schoolies!
Old Sep 11th 2010, 10:27 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Having lived in both, I can say the cost of living is definately dearer in New Zealand!

The housing is cheaper, if you are on a good wage like we were, then New Zealand can work really well..

And don't believe the bug thing regarding Oz, most I've only seen in the zoo!

It's all horses for courses, what suits one may not suit another..

As an Aussie I do like New Zealand better, but now because of the earthquake, my husband's company will not be setting up office there now, so we probably won't be returning...sad but that's life!
The lower house prices were very enticing when I was sitting in Oz with friends who were having to fork out $400K for their first home and I couldn't find a rental for less than $300...

Now we've been in NZ a wee while I have to say the wind has been knocked out of my sails by the low wages and cost of living - while my rent is lower, groceries and household goods, clothes and books are a lot higher. I am waiting on teacher registration and hoping that the higher income will make life in NZ look a little more do-able, but I am no longer sure we will be able to afford to stay here as long as we wanted - I just can't see how we will ever save money.

It has made us more resourceful though - have trawled the 2nd hand stores of Christchurch (anywhere but the bloody Warehouse!) and we are 'doing without' a TV which is definitely a plus for my preschooler (altho she may not agree!)

I am also trying to keep in mind that it will always seem like everything is expensive when you are relocating and starting from scratch (we only brought 2 suitcases with us) so will reassess in a year's time.

Also: I am Australian and my big push factors for getting out are the bugs, the bloody heat and the bogans!! VERY excited to be heading into a summer where I will be able to function rather than flopping stupidly from aircon to aircon!!!
Old Sep 11th 2010, 10:42 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

I've really enjoyed this thread!

$30 for a pair of socks? I bought a dozen for that last week.
Laptop on the loo while hosting.....marvellous.
Phone calls expensive? Ours are free Taupo to Taupo, just don't ring far away, that's what skype's for.
Cheap bed? We thought that with our sofa, three years on we see why...no stamina.
If leccy is too much, go bach and live without it!

keep em coming folks, you're tickling me.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:46 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Same thread running in the Oz forum for those interested.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Same thread running in the Oz forum for those interested.
I love Christchurch! Just circumstances regarding work have stalled it for the moment..
Old Sep 12th 2010, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Good for you, hope you enjoy it at Phillip Island!

Living in Sydney I don't see these creatures, except at the zoo, but I have seen some ripper Huntsman spiders, thankfully not since I've been back!

Queensland is legendary for big things-spiders, cane toads, orb web spiders, bats, schoolies!
Are those the ones on the advert that throw that woman's boyfriend around the room and smash up the flat
Old Sep 12th 2010, 4:30 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

...and on that point, aren't some of the tv ads, which be banned in UK, reason enough to move here?

The frog and Princess being my latest gobsmacked favourite.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by squarepants
Are those the ones on the advert that throw that woman's boyfriend around the room and smash up the flat
Yeah, those would be the ones!
Old Sep 12th 2010, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Gun4Hire has a spectacular aura aboutGun4Hire has a spectacular aura aboutGun4Hire has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bryars2011
Just a question to everyone on the forum.....why did you choose to move to Nz rather than Oz??
Difficult as I am a British Kiwi with a British Australian wife about to return to NZ or Australia from the UK after over ten years working and loving life in the UK.

I have lived in both countries and it all depends on your circumstances. In my specific line of work (IT Contractor) the pay is twice as much in NZ as it is in Australia. My wife is a nurse so it makes little difference. For the average working person pay is better in Australia.

I have still not decided between Melbourne (my wife's home town) or Auckland (my home town). I personally don't like any other cities than these two.

Perth - Ugly dump miles way from civilisation.
Adelaide - I'm not dead yet.
Sydney - Nice place to visit for a few days, suburbs are depressing and crime ridden.
Brisbane - Chavs galore, stinking hot.
Melbourne - Very nice, great culture scene but very congested nowadays.

Auckland - Beautiful but I'll admit a tad generic, great sailing and proximity to the Coromandel or the Bay of Islands. You need lots of money including money for a decent boat to make the most of it. Try hard version of Sydney.
Rest of NZ - Nothing to say - dead.

While my wife is Australian both her and myself do not like the average Australian, it's split with half of Australians being the rudest people you've ever met and the other half being the nicest. I think the split is along the lines of who has travelled the most. The horrible half think that Australia is the greatest country on earth, despite the fact that they probably haven't been out of their own state.

I would say though to the uninitiated - Australia. You can get Australian Citizenship after two years and try NZ later if you wanted anyway, the other way around takes five years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.