Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

[QUOTE=colandros;8837390]I dont get the no snakes, spider thing.
The way people go on about it you would think they are falling out
of every cupboard and living in every garden and its just not like that.
Its not more an issue than having the white tail here in NZ.
People just blow it up out all proportion, its ridiculous.

QUOTE]

It's not if you have a phobia about them. Why live in one country where there are the such like when you can live in one without? The white tail will not kill you whereas some spiders and many snakes, crocs and sharks will have a good go at getting you 6 foot under. One assumes you have no overbearing fears of anything?
Old Sep 10th 2010, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
No Australians ...

Oh, someone had to say it.
Crap, you beat me to it
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:35 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

In my old life in Europe, I had the pleasure of working with folks from many nations, including these two.
I just found I had a better connection with the kiwis.
When we visited, it was reinforced.
The fact that we came from a small town island in UK made the move easy, no real lifestyle change.
As for the financial side......stuff it, we earn enough, why work your arse off if you don't need to?

We visited Oz for the MotoGP last year, and a lot of my stereotypical views of Aussies got laid to rest, but I just love this place and the people

Can't say that for the Alsaciennes I lived with in St Louis!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

We were originally going to Oz, but then changed our minds after a visit to NZ. I think it all depends on what you're looking for.

Oz is probably a bit more "exciting" than NZ, and you're likely to have more job opportunities and earn more. However, we feel that NZ offers a better quality of life. The main cities in Oz are getting crowded, and the house prices are very high. If I was 20 I'd probably head for Oz first and move on to NZ a bit later! In the end, NZ just "felt" right for us, so that's where we're heading.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
We visited Oz for the MotoGP last year, and a lot of my stereotypical views of Aussies got laid to rest, but I just love this place and the people
At the risk of getting flamed to death, you do get a much better class of people at the MotoGP races. Try going to a V8 Supercar meet in Oz and you'll have the full on stereotype drivin into you like concreate We were at the Gold Coast V8 last year and its amazing how few people we actually bothering to pay one jot of interest in the race, most just flat on the back or sitting around drinkin beer!

Phillip Island is a fantastic circuit though isn't it, perfect for MotoGP!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

We are definatly doing the GP next year maybee we can organise a forum trip ?

Neil
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

I'm from Scotland - my body physically could not cope with that much sunshine and heat

It would be like the scene in Total Recall when Arnie goes onto the surface of Mars without his space suit on and his eyes pop out of his head.

We didn't actually compare NZ with Oz...we compared NZ with Canada. NZ was easier and cheaper to get into.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

squarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bryars2011
Just a question to everyone on the forum.....why did you choose to move to Nz rather than Oz??
We fell in love with NZ years ago and had never been to Oz. We were always saving so hard, we never spent the money on a trip to Oz because the cost was so high we thought the money would be better spent on the move here.

In hindsight I sometimes wish we had because OH also had the opportunity to work there on a far better salary. It might have been a more sane route into NZ and things would have been easier financially.

The spiders and snakes did put us off, but we've lived in the tropics and you just develop rules and routines to keep the scary stuff out of the house - and no one ever walks barefoot outside - certainly not on grass. Don't know if it's the same in Oz - but imagine it must be in places.

We came here directly because it was where we wanted to be, I think if we had gone to Oz first we would never have settled because we would always have been hankering after NZ.

Now were here, we'll stay until the youngest is off to uni - then we'll re-evaluate where we are financially and if it's possible to semi-retire and eventually fully retire here without living in poverty - we'll stay.

We do love it here, but financially the tax payer is a lot worse off than anywhere else we've ever lived.

Depending on where you are in the country the cost of living seems to change, but I don't think it's cheaper anywhere in NZ than UK - where we're living in BOP it's a lot more expensive than UK. Unless husband takes a contract overseas I can't see any way of living here and saving for the future and that's a massive concern because we've always saved.

We love it here but our decision will be based purely on money. If we decide to leave NZ, it will be because for us the cost of living is too high and the opportunities to save are too few.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR
Crap, you beat me to it
And me!!!!
Old Sep 11th 2010, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough

Because the most dangerous thing in New Zealand is a Kiwi bird, whereas Australia has 8 of the 10 most deadly species on Earth living there (That we know about).

Nuff said
Old Sep 11th 2010, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

I believe someone a while ago compared this question to why apples instead of oranges Sorry in advance for this being a long post and I'm sure people will disagree but these are my own experiences so far.......

They are such different countries with such different personalities and things going on. We did consider Oz but actually, contrary to what some folks are finding, employment opportunities were much better for my husband here than Oz or the UK. Oh and he's from New Zealand so that made the decision kind of easy

I also like: seasonal weather, snowboarding on my doorsetp, I get the Kiwi mentality a bit better than I do the Ozzie one and we are big outdoorsy people and it's easier to get out here than in 35 degree heat in Oz I reckon and I found a black widow spider in my shoe when I last was over and the flies were the size of my head (I'm sure ) so nope that put me off for life And I prefer NZ wine

My next statement is salary dependent admittedly (anyone would struggle if they were earning $50,000 with a family of four to support in either Oz or NZ) - but I simply don't buy the cost of living thing sorry. Having just about finished kitting out our rental house and done food shopping you can buy most things cheaply here if you want to which are perfectly adequate - and live cheaply and have a good quality of life (be warned that Trademe though just is not as good as Ebay imo! struggling to get an address for a $1.50 coffee table to collect!!!). I am sure the same must go for OZ.

Others have said it I'm sure you know this too - but make sure you do your sums before coming out either to OZ or NZ

Even having been here for a short period of time our costs have dropped dramatically (we have no kids but even then our friends and family who do have kids manage fine!). If you want everything brand new and designer labels well then of course it will be expensive - but that would be expensive anywhere.

Something else to remember is that companies are catering for a population of 4 million as opposed to 20 odd million in Australia. The choice isn't quite the same - but if your reasons for moving are for the amount of different things you want when you go shopping then you are better off in Blighty tbh I actually might contradict my last statement as I've been very impressed with what I've found in Auckland I love it! They have these huge Chinese shopping centres/great food outlets and I can get my Lea and Perrins (which for some reason I put into almost everything) and a far better (and cheaper) range of cooking and baking items than in the UK.

When I have more I'll let you know oh lucky you but I seriously need to go and buy a car now!!

Last edited by londonescapee; Sep 11th 2010 at 2:39 am.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Genesis
Been in NZ 5 years and we have been relatively content here. However I have done a road trip in Oz back in 1990 before I discovered Nz. I thought and still think that Oz is a way better place to live than NZ. For many a reason. However I cannot do big heat and hate stupidly huge countries, whilst Kate has a huge aversion to Oz's wildlife. So overall NZ is better for us but I know Oz is a better place as a country generally. I adored Oz it is such an exciting vibrant place. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cooler than NZ which is really a bit of a dullard in many ways in comparison to Oz. I could live in Tazzy and who knows may do one day. The other issue for me is that my psyche is way better suited to the kiwi one. I am not sure I would get on as well with Oz bods as I do kiwis. I always had an issue whilst there with their mentality. The kiwi one can be maddening too (as indeed can the brit one) but it suits me better. Oz is probably also a bit too progressive for me. I am stuck in another aged eon thus NZ is a good place to be. It is simple and backward. Like me.
Genesis, I love and agree with most of your posts but this one I gotta disagree Ok so I've only been here for a week and a half but having been getting involved in all kinds of technological things for broadband and mobile and worky things that my husband would normally deal with (but he's been working) I've been thrown in at the deep end!

Depending on where you live, you will find insular, out of date attitudes and approaches in all sorts of parts of Oz, NZ and pretty much anywhere. NZ is a little country in terms of population that is pioneering in some regards (I know of several companies that are streets ahead in terms of renewable energy) and in others unwilling to commit its expenditure on new ventures that are unproven until they see it working in other, richer nations (this is what is happening in my sector).

There are some things that are not so great such as mobile phones being a bit behind (the amount Vodafone charge for the Iphone I think is extortionate - it is cheaper in the long run to buy it outright rather than go contract apparently?) but others like being able to ring 0800 numbers for free from your mobile are fab The UK I believe only has Virgin laying fibreoptic cables down whilst in NZ they are attempting to get the whole country done through Chorus (had a very interesting chat with one of their chaps fitting our broadband yesterday ). In that regard there is so much more that you can do with a smaller population. They are also about to lay another data cable between here and America - so actually we may be even getting ahead of Australia in that regard at some point in the next couple of years - so long as they get the financing!

I am Auckland based but Welly, Christchurch (when it is rebuilt - hope you are all holding out ok ) and all major centres you get what you need. If you are in the wopwops then it will be a bit different - but the same goes for anywhere that is isolated, surely?

Sorry again for a couple of long posts but it's an interesting subject to debate
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Auskiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by londonescapee
I believe someone a while ago compared this question to why apples instead of oranges Sorry in advance for this being a long post and I'm sure people will disagree but these are my own experiences so far.......

They are such different countries with such different personalities and things going on. We did consider Oz but actually, contrary to what some folks are finding, employment opportunities were much better for my husband here than Oz or the UK. Oh and he's from New Zealand so that made the decision kind of easy

I also like: seasonal weather, snowboarding on my doorsetp, I get the Kiwi mentality a bit better than I do the Ozzie one and we are big outdoorsy people and it's easier to get out here than in 35 degree heat in Oz I reckon and I found a black widow spider in my shoe when I last was over and the flies were the size of my head (I'm sure ) so nope that put me off for life And I prefer NZ wine

My next statement is salary dependent admittedly (anyone would struggle if they were earning $50,000 with a family of four to support in either Oz or NZ) - but I simply don't buy the cost of living thing sorry. Having just about finished kitting out our rental house and done food shopping you can buy most things cheaply here if you want to which are perfectly adequate - and live cheaply and have a good quality of life (be warned that Trademe though just is not as good as Ebay imo! struggling to get an address for a $1.50 coffee table to collect!!!). I am sure the same must go for OZ.

Others have said it I'm sure you know this too - but make sure you do your sums before coming out either to OZ or NZ

Even having been here for a short period of time our costs have dropped dramatically (we have no kids but even then our friends and family who do have kids manage fine!). If you want everything brand new and designer labels well then of course it will be expensive - but that would be expensive anywhere.

Something else to remember is that companies are catering for a population of 4 million as opposed to 20 odd million in Australia. The choice isn't quite the same - but if your reasons for moving are for the amount of different things you want when you go shopping then you are better off in Blighty tbh I actually might contradict my last statement as I've been very impressed with what I've found in Auckland I love it! They have these huge Chinese shopping centres/great food outlets and I can get my Lea and Perrins (which for some reason I put into almost everything) and a far better (and cheaper) range of cooking and baking items than in the UK.

When I have more I'll let you know oh lucky you but I seriously need to go and buy a car now!!

Having lived in both, I can say the cost of living is definately dearer in New Zealand!

The housing is cheaper, if you are on a good wage like we were, then New Zealand can work really well..

And don't believe the bug thing regarding Oz, most I've only seen in the zoo!

It's all horses for courses, what suits one may not suit another..

As an Aussie I do like New Zealand better, but now because of the earthquake, my husband's company will not be setting up office there now, so we probably won't be returning...sad but that's life!
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

squarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to all

Originally Posted by londonescapee

There are lots of reasons why things are more expensive here, they're logical and they make sense - but ultimately, doesn't matter if you understand them or not - you have to balance the books at the end of the month.

Someone I met who recently moved here from Auckland said that the electricity was cheaper up there as was grocery shopping, and when we recently went up for the day to meet friends, lunch on the wharf in Auckland was was cheaper than the equivalent here in town.

Our financial situation is as temporary as our stamina because there's a job offer for OH in Asia, it's on the table and it's open ended - but it would be a step backwards and this is where we want to be. We came here with a low paying job, a safety net and a plan, so far we're almost half way though and providing we just keep the faith and stick to the budget - it will all be fine. But, it will be another year before OH will be able to start going after the big money jobs again and even then there's no knowing how long it will be until he lands one.

If we didn't have the safety net we'd be sunk because we were just so unprepared for how expensive it is for the basic things you need to live.

I bang on about this every opportunity, not to be a whinging pom - but simply to give anyone else who might be planning to do what we did - the heads up so they can plan a little more and put more in the pot to tide them over.

We've lived in several different countries and moved within most of them several times over the last 20 years, so we came here knowing that it takes a good 18 months to break even when you change country. This is the most expensive place in terms of day to day living that we've ever lived.

With regard to raising children, it's a lot more expensive here with schools being the notable exception. Ours go to a fee paying school, it's $1600 a term for 2 of them. We set money aside in trust for that before we came over, though the cost of uniforms make my eyes water. $180 for 6 pairs of socks.

We can't fault the school at all, both children are happy and thriving and the standard of teaching has exceeded our expectations. It's the one area where raising children is cheaper than UK and you get better value for money.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Auskiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by squarepants
There are lots of reasons why things are more expensive here, they're logical and they make sense - but ultimately, doesn't matter if you understand them or not - you have to balance the books at the end of the month.

Someone I met who recently moved here from Auckland said that the electricity was cheaper up there as was grocery shopping, and when we recently went up for the day to meet friends, lunch on the wharf in Auckland was was cheaper than the equivalent here in town.

Our financial situation is as temporary as our stamina because there's a job offer for OH in Asia, it's on the table and it's open ended - but it would be a step backwards and this is where we want to be. We came here with a low paying job, a safety net and a plan, so far we're almost half way though and providing we just keep the faith and stick to the budget - it will all be fine. But, it will be another year before OH will be able to start going after the big money jobs again and even then there's no knowing how long it will be until he lands one.

If we didn't have the safety net we'd be sunk because we were just so unprepared for how expensive it is for the basic things you need to live.

I bang on about this every opportunity, not to be a whinging pom - but simply to give anyone else who might be planning to do what we did - the heads up so they can plan a little more and put more in the pot to tide them over.

We've lived in several different countries and moved within most of them several times over the last 20 years, so we came here knowing that it takes a good 18 months to break even when you change country. This is the most expensive place in terms of day to day living that we've ever lived.

With regard to raising children, it's a lot more expensive here with schools being the notable exception. Ours go to a fee paying school, it's $1600 a term for 2 of them. We set money aside in trust for that before we came over, though the cost of uniforms make my eyes water. $180 for 6 pairs of socks.

We can't fault the school at all, both children are happy and thriving and the standard of teaching has exceeded our expectations. It's the one area where raising children is cheaper than UK and you get better value for money.
Great post! I agree, the schooling was awesome for us in Christchurch! :

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.