Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Originally Posted by dannigirl
I agree with much of what you say! I totally agree that parenting skills or lack thereof is not totally dependant on socio-economic status, or culture, or class....however I can't remember the last time, if ever, when I have worked with a a middle class parent. Child abuse and bad parenting does span all classes, all cultures, all socio-economic groups but as you quite rightly point out the middle class bad parenting is seen as bohemian and bourgeoisie (Sp?). Sorry, I did have a bit of a rant about the underclasses here, mostly because that is what my job involves and people seem to ignore it if it doesn't affect their life. I totally acknowledge that bad parenting takes many forms, just most are not held to account in any way. I was probably just taking it too personally regarding the comment about NZ being the land of bad parenting - I am a typical kiwi and take things far too literally - my bad
Danni, please don't think I was criticising your comments. I appreciate yours is a harrowing job and you were drawing on your experiences which tended to focus on the underclasses.
I was merely trying to present a broader picture covering the whole of society. The middle classes rarely come to the attention of the authorities in child neglect/abuse cases, yet their children are 'neglected' but in a different more covert way. I would never concur to the notion that NZ is the home of bad parenting. I'm just sad that some of the good things that drew me to NZ, the laid back life style, it's social/family values seem to be eroding away in the helter skelter race to achieve 'the latest status symbol' and ape the UK and USA etc.
It's a long, long way to go before it gets anywhere near as bad as the UK.
Please don't ever apologise for defending your country. There is much that is good about NZ and worthy of defending.
Jennie
Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Have you read any Gordon NEufeld? he's pretty interesting on the topic of out of control kids.
No but I found the reviews and debates surrounding "The Spoilt Generation" by Dr Aric Sigman, very interesting and have the book on order. (couldn't get it6 in Wellington!!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jennifer45
I'm just sad that some of the good things that drew me to NZ, the laid back life style, it's social/family values seem to be eroding away in the helter skelter race to achieve 'the latest status symbol' and ape the UK and USA etc.
When we first landed, that evening on the news there was this thing on telly about how much harder it was for parents with the cost of living in NZ. Oh noes we thought as they started to interview their case study. What horror stories were going to come out now and do we just get on the plane straight back?! Then the lady that they interviewed said 'oh yes it's so much harder now because they have to have labels and everything....' And that was her sole statement on how expensive parenting was getting.

Needless to say we felt most confused particularly when said children were 7 and 5 respectively - so is it you as the parent that feels the need for labels or the kids? Mine would get a healthy dose of reality if they started to demand the latest designer gear but then it isn't easy with peer pressure and all the marketing that is chucked at young kids these days.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

The Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to all
Question Re: Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
No Australians ...

Oh, someone had to say it.
My husband would agree with you, Am Loolah.
But I like the Australians.
We couldn't agree so I gave in. NZ won.
Now over 1 year on I love NZ. So glad I gave in.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Danni, please don't think I was criticising your comments. I appreciate yours is a harrowing job and you were drawing on your experiences which tended to focus on the underclasses.
I was merely trying to present a broader picture covering the whole of society. The middle classes rarely come to the attention of the authorities in child neglect/abuse cases, yet their children are 'neglected' but in a different more covert way. I would never concur to the notion that NZ is the home of bad parenting. I'm just sad that some of the good things that drew me to NZ, the laid back life style, it's social/family values seem to be eroding away in the helter skelter race to achieve 'the latest status symbol' and ape the UK and USA etc.
It's a long, long way to go before it gets anywhere near as bad as the UK.
Please don't ever apologise for defending your country. There is much that is good about NZ and worthy of defending.
Jennie
I didn't think you were criticising my comments at all, and I totally agree with your thoughts/comments about the middle classes. I could rant all day about my job, I have a very love/hate relationship with it, and I totally know I would be exactly the same if I was working in a similar role at home!

I really struggle with the fact that family values are in decline

Thanks for the great conversation ladies!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read any Gordon NEufeld? he's pretty interesting on the topic of out of control kids.
No but I just googled him - interesting. I work with babies mostly, and actively try to not think about the hell that is adolescence

When I trained in social work it was of course dominated by social work theory, now it is all becoming very scientific linking attachment theory and neuroscience which looks along the lines of Neufield!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:59 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

I read "Hold onto your kids" which is kinda an attachment parenting underground classic here. IT scared the sh*t out of me, but in a good way. He really made me think and it made me look at a lot of things that we (general we) just accept as normal i.e. that kids should spend a lot of time with other kids, not with adults, with new eyes. The whole concept of 'peer orientation' that he talks about as happening now, rather than the traditional, heirachical orientation of a child towards its parents really explains a lot of teen dysfunction imo. I highly recommend you read it if you're interested in this stuff.

And yes it starts with the parents.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes.

I read "Hold onto your kids" which is kinda an attachment parenting underground classic here. IT scared the sh*t out of me, but in a good way. He really made me think and it made me look at a lot of things that we (general we) just accept as normal i.e. that kids should spend a lot of time with other kids, not with adults, with new eyes. The whole concept of 'peer orientation' that he talks about as happening now, rather than the traditional, heirachical orientation of a child towards its parents really explains a lot of teen dysfunction imo. I highly recommend you read it if you're interested in this stuff.

And yes it starts with the parents.
That book looks totally up my street...I work within adoption, so the emphasis being on the primary attachments are broken, which of course can and does have a huge impact on children no matter how wonderful and loving their (adopted) parents are. Would be interesting to read from another angle.

People should really be more aware of attachment and the impact this has on their parenting.

He he right back to the Aus vs NZ argument, I mean thread.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:53 pm
Tauranga

chubnut is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved to NZ because thats where the job was that i got offered. I am 3 years too old to emigrate to Oz. But having been here for a year and a half, i will defo try and get there when i get my citizenship. For me personally the negatives far outweigh the positives for staying here.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Yes, and it is work that dictates to a lot of us where we end up.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

chrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gun4Hire
Depends on what you do. Australia is quite a few places higher in the GDP per capita for the UK, but I made 3 or 4 times as much money in the UK than you'd make in Australia for the same job. NZ of course is ranked even lower again, but again even today I'd personally get twice as much money in NZ as I'd get in Australia ($45-$70AUD p.h. v $95$140NZD p.h.).

Australia makes and exports nothing but minerals which, happily are worth a lot right now. It is a great country for working people who get paid very well indeed. But for high end professionals the pay is absolutely crap and the tax is sky high. NZ not only exports lamb and dairy products but it also manufactures a fair bit for a small country and creates a lot of high end software. Australia cannot even make aluminium from it's own bauxite they have to get NZ to do that and then of course manufacture windows to send to Europe.

In Australia they have two people per checkout - that's one of the reasons you pay so much for groceries, it is also one of the reasons why unemployment is low - lots of thick people doing pointless jobs. For similar reasons, the average Australian is a bartender in London when they come over but the average Kiwi is a tax lawyer or banker.

It's like saying that America is the best country to work in because it is really huge and extremely successful - it doesn't necessarily correspond to good money in your own personal circumstances.

Australia has been trying to recruit immigrants for ages now, has masses of Muslims, Sudanese, Somalis a huge number from the North of England.

I am not advocating one place over another per se, but you must work out what s best for you in your circumstances. The best money to be made in Australia is made in construction, building and trades - especially if you can get away without paying tax which, is easy in Australia, not so easy for the middle class who get screwed.

Final thing, cars in a Australia are even older and crappier than in NZ, they put huge import duty on decent German cars so people are forced to drive cheap Fords or Holdens (Vauxhall), which is fine if you don't like having choice. I was considering exporting my car from the UK to Australia - the shipping was fair but the taxes were eye watering. They like to kid themselves in Australia that actually have a car industry but given they are just making American cars, that's bollocks.
Strange / opinionated post in many ways.
Are Muslims a nationality now? And in what way are they trying to attract people from the 'north of england', and what's the significance of this. Are you suggesting they are lower skilled and less desirable than those from other parts of the UK?