Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why Manchester!!!!

Why Manchester!!!!

Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

jaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the rough
Question Why Manchester!!!!

Hi

Can anyone tell me why the kiwi's call bedding manchester just curious as I was looking for some new sheets in kmart and asked the lady were I would find them!! She said Manchester I thought that's a long way to go and must have looked very until I realised that's what they call them here

Jan (i think I'm a bit thick)
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why Manchester!!!!

I think it must refer to the huge cotten mill trade that Manchester was, the majority of cotten and linen was spun in the Mills in Manchester.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:06 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Before World War 2 as New Zealand had been a British colony manufacturers automatically sourced cotton fabrics from Manchester in the United Kingdom. In stores the department that sold cotton goods was called the Manchester department. Europe did produce these fabrics also, but with travel and language problems Manchester was the preferred supplier. The U.S.A. produced good fabrics, but did little or no exporting."

God I love the internet!!!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:13 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by jaybirdjan
Hi

Can anyone tell me why the kiwi's call bedding manchester just curious as I was looking for some new sheets in kmart and asked the lady were I would find them!! She said Manchester I thought that's a long way to go and must have looked very until I realised that's what they call them here

Jan (i think I'm a bit thick)
Yeah, they call it Manchester here in OZ...silly really. It is bedding/towels.

Took me a while to understand why 'Manchester", still not entirely sure.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Before World War 2 as New Zealand had been a British colony manufacturers automatically sourced cotton fabrics from Manchester in the United Kingdom. In stores the department that sold cotton goods was called the Manchester department. Europe did produce these fabrics also, but with travel and language problems Manchester was the preferred supplier. The U.S.A. produced good fabrics, but did little or no exporting."

God I love the internet!!!
WOW Sarah, you have been doing your homework lady!!!!
How is the little man now? Did he show Daddy his splinter?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:31 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frenchy
WOW Sarah, you have been doing your homework lady!!!!
How is the little man now? Did he show Daddy his splinter?

I think Mark is his new 'Superhero' Fast asleep and foot is good

THANK YOU BOTH xxx
Old Sep 12th 2007, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Are you from the SOuth of England, by any chance , Jan ?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

jaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Are you from the SOuth of England, by any chance , Jan ?

No the north east, Thanks to you all aren;t you all knowledgeable sure I will be back with more silly qustions later

Jan
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:31 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still getting used to the term Manchester - weird!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

just been into farmers doing some shopping....saw the signs saying...
manchester sale....never new what that was till i read this thread

stood and explained to daughter why it was called that

she was very impresseddidn't tell her how i know...

cheers guys