British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Why live abroad if you miss British meals...? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/why-live-abroad-if-you-miss-british-meals-516952/)

crap coffee Feb 25th 2008 4:35 am

Why live abroad if you miss British meals...?

2 Attachment(s)
people emigrate and then moan when they can't get this and that:mad: Fact is if you miss British stuff so much.... Why Bother Leaving the U.K?..:rofl:

It had been some time since I visited London; and how the memories crowded upon me!

so What's for tea tonight?

I know it sounds silly but today I miss a meal in a British Restaurant - Risotto Bar on Goodge Street, London

so I made a lovely Mushroom Risotto from scratch

Delicious! :cool:

Does anybody fancy Risotto?......................................... :rofl:

Andrew Cross Feb 25th 2008 4:50 am

Re: Why live abroad if you miss British meals...?

I miss lots of things, not so much meals except my local Indian restaurant, I miss Ripples and Walkers crisps and Muller yoghurts, but that doesn't mean my life in New Zealand is any less good. Of course you will miss food, friends and maybe the life you had but if Nz more than makes up for it then there is no comparison...

karonious Feb 25th 2008 5:43 am

Perhaps if people are homesick, they link comforting, familiar meals to what they have left behind? It may give some solace to tuck into something that has good memories attached :blink:

Bo-Jangles Feb 25th 2008 6:08 am

That is too freakin funny on so many levels. How can anyone seemingly ridicule other people for wanting a little bit of what they fancy, then choose to make an Italian Dish, which they so loved from a 'British' Restaurant. :rofl: Presumably the risotto was the real mcoy made with imported arborio. :rofl:

Why is it a crime for a person a million miles from home to fancy a nice cornish pasty or a tasty bit of real cheddar cheese. I don't know about other people, but my head and body have ideas of their own when it comes to deciding what the craving of the week will be. I don't actually sit at home being sad and missing things, but the mind takes over and conjures up such thoughts of their own.

We live in a 'global village' when it come to food, we eat
an eclectic range of meals that originated from around the globe, often on the same plate, so why is it so strange that someone might actually want, once in a while, to eat something that they grew up with all their lives?

dreamfish Feb 25th 2008 6:11 am

i agree - bit of a potty thread.

i just pop back whenever i fancy a bit of lancashire hot pot.

crap coffee Feb 25th 2008 7:55 am

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 5979784)
i agree - bit of a potty thread.

i just pop back whenever i fancy a bit of lancashire hot pot.

i know it's potty enough... I was just so bored.......nothing wrong being potty eh?..........:rofl: all you lot know I am silly lol: ) :rofl:

I like cooking Italian rather than eating..........:rofl:

dreamfish Feb 25th 2008 7:57 am

Originally Posted by crap coffee (Post 5979992)
i know it's potty enough... I was just so bored.......nothing wrong being potty eh?..........:rofl: all you lot know I am silly lol: ) :rofl:

I like cooking Italian rather than eating..........:rofl:

do you cook in the style of 'Jazz Hands', with percy pepper and suzy salt?

crap coffee Feb 25th 2008 8:09 am

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 5979999)

u silly

my average cooking time is 2 hours :eek: I know it's ridiculous

I'd rather wait long and have the cooks make the meal properly than cut corners to speed the process.

crap coffee Feb 25th 2008 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 5979776)
That is too freakin funny on so many levels. How can anyone seemingly ridicule other people for wanting a little bit of what they fancy, then choose to make an Italian Dish, which they so loved from a 'British' Restaurant. :rofl: Presumably the risotto was the real mcoy made with imported arborio. :rofl:

I think you are too freakin funny on so many levels :rofl:

irnbru14 Feb 25th 2008 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 5979999)

God Ainsley Harriott is so damned annoying...

spid Feb 25th 2008 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by irnbru14 (Post 5981819)
God Ainsley Harriott is so damned annoying...

we have a 'percy pepper' (no suzy salt though) - the kids think we are mad cos that's really what we call it and they haven't got a clue what we are on about!

crap coffee Feb 25th 2008 8:15 pm

a rubbish thread :rofl:

Going nowhere is it

TeamEmbo Feb 25th 2008 9:00 pm

Nope! :rofl:

You can be in your home country and still miss foods and familiar stuff from your childhood.

This is a weird thread :blink:

dreamfish Feb 25th 2008 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by crap coffee (Post 5982398)
a rubbish thread :rofl:

Going nowhere is it

are you on pot?

crap coffee Feb 25th 2008 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 5982637)
are you on pot?

I am on the axiomatic definition of probability theory & symmetric random variables and Vectors ; A random vector X is an ordered sequence of random variables X=(X1,…,XL)T. ..............:rofl::D