Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why are Kiwis the most travelled people on Earth?

Why are Kiwis the most travelled people on Earth?

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

donscbr6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why are Kiwis the most travelled people on Earth?

Originally Posted by Buttercracks
No I am talking about something else.

I dont really know everything there is to know about the British traveller either however I think that many do travel to France and Spain because it's quite close to them and they can do it on the weekend. I do know that a lot travel to Australia and they love it - especially Perth and Brisbane. I think they love the sunshine.

But I have met only a few New Zealanders and yes they are far away from home. But very nationalistic and proud to say that their country is the best and happy to talk a lot about New Zealand. I suppose its a point of differentiation.

Yes Australia looks more appealling to me because of the beaches and the better standard of living. But New Zealand, despite being much smaller and less exciting with fewer young people looks appealling because of the fact that you don't need a lot of money to live there comfortably - it just seems to be poorer so my money will go further which is believe it or not the reason a lot of people are moving. I'm just concerned that its becoming a desert as more and more New Zealanders are leaving the country to live in Australia. So I am a little unsure of this trend and want to know what is driving this.

ooookaaaay. Firstly, I have a theory on the why kiwis end up in OZ. Firstly, NZers and Kiwis can travel and work between the two countries without the need for work visa's etc etc. A lot of my kiwi mates who have travelled to the states/UK have loved the big cities abroad, but have been limited to 2 year work visas and can no longer stay, so Oz is the next best bet. Also, some are lured by the better weather. some parts of NZ have pretty crap weather, like the UK you get 'bad' summers, whereas oz is a lot hotter in places year round. secondly, why do kiwis travel? This I can answer honestly and I think acurately as I am one, and have done it. Basically, when you finish university, you go travelling. It's a case of getting your 2 year work visa in the uk to make some dough, work a bit, go see Europe, then come back home and then settle down. by having done the big 'OE' employers in NZ looked favourably upon you and were more lively to employ you as you'd had some worldly experience and were less likely to quit your job and go travelling.
Then there are those like me that have english ancestry and have no time limit on their visa, and just don't get round to going home.... NZ feels like a foreign country to me now, but I'm coming home!