Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why are Kiwis the most travelled people on Earth?

Why are Kiwis the most travelled people on Earth?

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 10:49 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Kiwis the most travelled people on Earth?

Originally Posted by kwprwn
and got accused by a local once for not being from there (
Haha - that's made me laugh. 1967 we moved to the village where my mum still lives. 1993 I walked into the local with a woman who'd just recently moved back to the village after 40 years in London. She met a man she'd been to school with and said 'you know Norah?' - his reply... 'ah, she's just a blow in!' After 26 years!!!!!!! I'm not patriotic towards my county but am definitely towards my country.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

benultimate is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Why are Kiwis the most travelled people on Earth?

Originally Posted by Buttercracks
No I am talking about something else.

I dont really know everything there is to know about the British traveller either however I think that many do travel to France and Spain because it's quite close to them and they can do it on the weekend. I do know that a lot travel to Australia and they love it - especially Perth and Brisbane. I think they love the sunshine.

But I have met only a few New Zealanders and yes they are far away from home. But very nationalistic and proud to say that their country is the best and happy to talk a lot about New Zealand. I suppose its a point of differentiation.

Yes Australia looks more appealling to me because of the beaches and the better standard of living. But New Zealand, despite being much smaller and less exciting with fewer young people looks appealling because of the fact that you don't need a lot of money to live there comfortably - it just seems to be poorer so my money will go further which is believe it or not the reason a lot of people are moving. I'm just concerned that its becoming a desert as more and more New Zealanders are leaving the country to live in Australia. So I am a little unsure of this trend and want to know what is driving this.

I would say its totally up2 you, once your in ethier country you can always travel to the other fairly easily, so check out both if u are serious about a move my friend. Nz has a smaller and ultimately lower earning economy than ozzy, so relative to the uk nz would be worse off than oz for money earnt/bills paid, but relative to say the world- nz's a very rich wee nation we have no idea what true poverty is mate be thankful.
I think you mayb becoming a little over alarmed on account of 'everyone leaving nz' issue, total migraition(in vs. out) still increases every year in nz. Kiwis are big travellers, so us travelling is no sign of trouble at home, but rather a sign of a well travelled bunch of people, most do return home, its no drama mate. Alot of us live in Oz for a few years for the simple fact its close and similar to nz, and that we can, ozzy's the only country in world we can live and work in outside nz without immigrating....so we do, always have mate. But again most kiwis do the ozzy thing, live in the big cities, sit at the beach in winter and after a few years go lets get outa here and head home. Both are awesome country's mate u wont be disapointed and if yr into yr surf'n, snowboarding,boating and camping both are great. nz has equally beautiful beaches-try the coromandel, bay of plenty and nelson/abel tasman they're as good as oz bro. And lets be honest, if the money in the uk wasnt awesome no-one would do thier OE here, because its a cold, grey and depressing place with up tight people and with stones where there should be beaches, no wonder they left aye.
take care man
Old Sep 24th 2006, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Buttercracks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by benultimate
I would say its totally up2 you, once your in ethier country you can always travel to the other fairly easily, so check out both if u are serious about a move my friend. Nz has a smaller and ultimately lower earning economy than ozzy, so relative to the uk nz would be worse off than oz for money earnt/bills paid, but relative to say the world- nz's a very rich wee nation we have no idea what true poverty is mate be thankful.
I think you mayb becoming a little over alarmed on account of 'everyone leaving nz' issue, total migraition(in vs. out) still increases every year in nz. Kiwis are big travellers, so us travelling is no sign of trouble at home, but rather a sign of a well travelled bunch of people, most do return home, its no drama mate. Alot of us live in Oz for a few years for the simple fact its close and similar to nz, and that we can, ozzy's the only country in world we can live and work in outside nz without immigrating....so we do, always have mate. But again most kiwis do the ozzy thing, live in the big cities, sit at the beach in winter and after a few years go lets get outa here and head home. Both are awesome country's mate u wont be disapointed and if yr into yr surf'n, snowboarding,boating and camping both are great. nz has equally beautiful beaches-try the coromandel, bay of plenty and nelson/abel tasman they're as good as oz bro. And lets be honest, if the money in the uk wasnt awesome no-one would do thier OE here, because its a cold, grey and depressing place with up tight people and with stones where there should be beaches, no wonder they left aye.
take care man
Thanks for the input Ben. What language is that by the way? Are you a native "KUWUEE" if that is how you pronounce it.

You said that most kiwis do the ozzy thing, as in Australia. Do you like Australia? Most NZers go to Australia for a few years - what is that for? Does it have more job opportunities, or is it the weather or just something different?

Also about the state of the economy there it sounds from your post that you have a great country - no poverty as you say. I recently saw a documentary about some of the native peoples there "Maoris" that were conquered by the British and it didn't exactly paint a perfect picture about equality in society but I guess that you never get real equality anywhere.

I am more interested in what the average Kiwi is interested in - Beer or art? Footy or music? Beaches or culture? This will have an impact on my decision.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

I am more interested in what the average Kiwi is interested in - Beer or art? Footy or music? Beaches or culture? This will have an impact on my decision.

Thanks again.
www.herald.co.nz www.stuff.co.nz www.trademe.co.nz (message boards)
This should give you a bit of a start in what kiwis are interested in.

Besides how would you define what the average Brit is interested in? Beer or art? Footy or music? Beaches or culture? Your question is just a tad ridiculous.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 8:46 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
www.herald.co.nz www.stuff.co.nz www.trademe.co.nz (message boards)
This should give you a bit of a start in what kiwis are interested in.

Besides how would you define what the average Brit is interested in? Beer or art? Footy or music? Beaches or culture? Your question is just a tad ridiculous.
and most red bloodied kiwi men have this on their minds
Attached Thumbnails Why are Kiwis the most travelled people on Earth?-knminogue_narrowweb__300x414-0.jpg  
Old Sep 25th 2006, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

benultimate is on a distinguished road

hey mate, i gave a few reasons as to why some nzer's live in oz for a few years so refer to those mate. namely, its close and 'big' relative to nz, and u can live 'overseas' but still be only 2.5 hrs from home, alota young ppl finishing uni will go live in sydney for a while then go 'overseas' for a few years, the mentality is that oz isnt a whole new different country but a kinda start out point for more serious travels.
australia is a great place-we lived in sydney for a year, we're keen surfers so since beaches are there major highlight it was great for us. but every country has its up's and downs, the big cities have alot more crime and violence than nz, u wont own a home in sydney as the median house price is $550,000 AUD and that wont buy u something great ethier probibly a place an hour or so out the city. but overall its neat, do try. weather wise we come from the bay of plenty which is known for its sun and mild weather year round, so we didnt find weather alot different in oz but compared to the s.island id imagine you'd notice the difference.
I said nz's economy is not as wealthy as the uk's or australia's and i never said thier is no poverty-so what are u on about?, i said relative to the world none of us in the west have any idea of true poverty mate. perfect equality does not exist anywhere although kiwis are pretty good, moari's are not 'natives' but fellow kiwi's that sounds a bit pompus bro and its not nz's fault the british treated them like shit when they got here, luckly we dont have any ties with the uk anymore aye. in terms of interest's you cant generalise an entire society, some like art others enjoy sport, some like footy and music and beaches and culture so bizzare question mate, each to there own.

take care my man.

Thanks for the input Ben. What language is that by the way? Are you a native "KUWUEE" if that is how you pronounce it.

You said that most kiwis do the ozzy thing, as in Australia. Do you like Australia? Most NZers go to Australia for a few years - what is that for? Does it have more job opportunities, or is it the weather or just something different?

Also about the state of the economy there it sounds from your post that you have a great country - no poverty as you say. I recently saw a documentary about some of the native peoples there "Maoris" that were conquered by the British and it didn't exactly paint a perfect picture about equality in society but I guess that you never get real equality anywhere.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwprwn
2 weeks once a year to go to spain to sit by a pool and go to an english pub for english grub cus they hate foreign food isnt travelling, and believe me after working as a travel agent for 12 years thats what a lot of them do

and so the Brits going abroad to follow England wearing their footie shirts isnt being nationalistic...do you not think this is what kiwis/aussies and other nationalities might think of the brits and believe me some of the brits can seem mighty bloody nationalistic, but you dont see the kiwis smash up pubs etc cus their national team lost, and if they do it is a rarity..it happens EVERY time the english go abroad for football
I think you will find Bali is to the Ozzie's and NZ ers what Benidorm is to the British. It certainly was when I was there!
Old Sep 25th 2006, 9:50 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I think you will find Bali is to the Ozzie's and NZ ers what Benidorm is to the British. It certainly was when I was there!
I met my hubby in London, he was born in Wellington and lived there until he was 7, then moved to Birmingham. His father is a Maori. He had never wanted particularly to move to NZ, more to do with bad relations with his father than the country itself. From the moment I met him, knowing his citizenship, it was me who has bugged him about why on earth he would choose to live in the UK when he could live there. 19 years later this bugging him has paid off!! After a 3 week visit in the Spring we're off there for good, all being well, with 4 kids in tow.
We are also well aware of the fact, that as the children reach adulthood, it is highly likely they will do their OE and travel far, far away. But we remember reading somewhere that 98% of New Zealands return to NZ to live at a later date. So it can't be all bad!!
Old Sep 25th 2006, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I met my hubby in London, he was born in Wellington and lived there until he was 7, then moved to Birmingham. His father is a Maori. He had never wanted particularly to move to NZ, more to do with bad relations with his father than the country itself. From the moment I met him, knowing his citizenship, it was me who has bugged him about why on earth he would choose to live in the UK when he could live there. 19 years later this bugging him has paid off!! After a 3 week visit in the Spring we're off there for good, all being well, with 4 kids in tow.
We are also well aware of the fact, that as the children reach adulthood, it is highly likely they will do their OE and travel far, far away. But we remember reading somewhere that 98% of New Zealands return to NZ to live at a later date. So it can't be all bad!!
I dont think NZ is bad at all. I actually wasn't criticizing NZ, I spend 6 weeks there a few years back and thought it a beautiful country. Incidentally from your post it sounds like your children could also return to the UK one day something you may have to gear yourself up for.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:03 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I dont think NZ is bad at all. I actually wasn't criticizing NZ, I spend 6 weeks there a few years back and thought it a beautiful country. Incidentally from your post it sounds like your children could also return to the UK one day something you may have to gear yourself up for.
Yes, absolutely, they'll have both UK and NZ passports. The world will be their oyster!! That's a huge factor in our decision to move. Give them more opportunity.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Buttercracks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by benultimate
hey mate.....but overall its neat, do try.
I do try my best. I sure will try anyway.

Interesting insight Ben, and appreciate your comments.

Have you always lived in NZ, ie went to school there?
Old Sep 28th 2006, 12:44 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

I recently saw a documentary about some of the native peoples there "Maoris" that were conquered by the British.
Think you should check the facts

On no part were they "conquered". Hone Heke was far from in shackles It was only an agreement to spare further bloodshed (mainly English) by wise Maori Chiefs.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 5:14 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Think you should check the facts

On no part were they "conquered". Hone Heke was far from in shackles It was only an agreement to spare further bloodshed (mainly English) by wise Maori Chiefs.

The Maori Wars were really an internal civil war that the British had to get involved with since they had sped up the killing by supplying muskets to the Maoris, and this just escalated after the Treaty of Waitangi but there were also peaceful protests including the one at Parihaka that just showed the British governors they were dealing with a very different foe.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maori_war
Old Sep 28th 2006, 7:58 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12

I'm pretty sure your point is to back up what i said, is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.