Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why have you remained in NZ

Why have you remained in NZ

Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why have you remained in NZ

Originally Posted by mickey_d
One of the OH's colleagues is using 10 weeks annual leave to go to OZ on a short term contract worth about 35k NZ dollars
10 weeks annual leave!! With weekends and public holidays that's half the year gone!
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Sounds familiar. With my mate they pay hundreds of dollars a day plus all travel and accommodation expenses

The same guy was in London during the good years (£1 = NZ$3.50) doing the same work on what they called "bank days" for a couple of hundred quid a day.

Some people have all the luck eh
Old Jul 7th 2011, 11:43 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

OZ vs. NZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JARkLg_lHFo&NR=1
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

DDont get me wrong, you can rake in the money here. But it doesnt just automatically happen for everyone.

I could go contracting and get $600 AUD a day, but the contracts on that money are really short so I am a bit too scared to risk it.

(thought that was a laughing smiley)

Anyway, my point was though that a lot of NZers are lead to believe that they can come to Australia and do really well when the reality is they may not.

I hear it alot and I see alot of comments on forums about kiwis wanting to move to Oz so they can earn more money and have a better life...but its not just automatic like we seem to asssume

Last edited by bananalana; Jul 8th 2011 at 9:47 am.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:19 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scousebird
Ha! Tickled me this. Should start a thread on who left the UK to flee their mother in laws - Id sign up to it!
I travelled 12,000 miles to be near mine
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:24 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananalana

I wish I had remained in NZ sometimes. We lived at the beach. Literally in a tiny coastal community near Napier/Hastings right across the road from the back. Sat in the lounge and could watch the waves. The OH went fishing on his motorbike every day out by cape kidnappers. I used to pop over to the beach with the dogs. Our daughter could run down the road to a friends. It was great.

Now we gotta drive for 3 hours to get to a beach that isnt covered in tourists.
That's a Mastercard moment. Is it only you or do the rest of your family wish they'd stayed here too?
Old Jul 9th 2011, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Batty
That's a Mastercard moment. Is it only you or do the rest of your family wish they'd stayed here too?
Hmmmm good question. Daughter is almost 12 now and likes it here but she has expressed missing NZ.

OH is English (I am a kiwi) and did actually express to me today that he thought the NZ government was crap but he thinks Australias is worse LOL.

We both feel that the lifestyle in NZ is much nicer and more outdoorsy. For example we were always fishing or at the beach or at the river in NZ and here we dont do much of that at all.

We do realise though that this oculd just be because we live in Sydney and perhaps Sydney wasnt the right choice for us. We are actually looking to try Brisbane next.

Dont get me wrong, I do like Australia and am not in a hurry to go home but the grass isnt always greener. Overall NZ is a much nicer country IMO (even taking into consideration NZs crappy wages and Ozs much nicer weather) - I am biased just a tad though LOL

But yes, we all sometimes wish we'd never left NZ. And then sometimes we wish we'd left sooner because wed be in a much better position now lol
Old Jul 9th 2011, 10:23 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

There's not much of a lifestyle in Sydney, I'd go for a weekend shopping but would never live there.

Yes, you should try Brisbane. And the surrounding areas if you're looking for beaches and a more laid back way of life. Take your time looking and visit lots of places before deciding where to stay, it will take a while though because there's lots of it
Old Jul 9th 2011, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Scousebird
Ha! Tickled me this. Should start a thread on who left the UK to flee their mother in laws - Id sign up to it!
It's been done at least once before

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...+mother+in+law
Old Jul 9th 2011, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
It's been done at least once before

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...+mother+in+law
Youve been around for a long time given that post was 2003! And youve not changed your name yet!

Thanks it was a good read.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
There's not much of a lifestyle in Sydney, I'd go for a weekend shopping but would never live there.

Yes, you should try Brisbane. And the surrounding areas if you're looking for beaches and a more laid back way of life. Take your time looking and visit lots of places before deciding where to stay, it will take a while though because there's lots of it
Yea, I went up there for a job interview a few weeks ago and found it to be much more laid back and I was only there for a day.

I kept taking photos of the roads because there was no traffic!!! Well there was but compared to Sydney it was dead LOL.

We would be looking to go up north, maybe round redcliffe or even in some of the slightly more inland suburbs that provide easy access to the city but also to the beaches and stuff. Or even to maybe go slightly rural....we arent sure yet LOL

You are right, Sydney is great for shopping but not so much for lifestyle. I think holidays in Sydney would be fun...but we came here blindly and didnt really know there wasnt a lifestyle LOL