Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why have you remained in NZ

Why have you remained in NZ

Old Jul 1st 2011, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all
Talking Re: Why have you remained in NZ

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
I thought that too, but she just joined Facebook
Ha! Tickled me this. Should start a thread on who left the UK to flee their mother in laws - Id sign up to it!
Old Jul 1st 2011, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

old dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why have you remained in NZ

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
I thought that too, but she just joined Facebook
OH no!!! They're like cold sores - once you've been struck down - that's it, they hang on in the back ground for all eternity ready to strike and spoil your fun just because they can.

Mind isn't on facebook yet thank god, but my sister in law is - so they look at stuff together and I can feel the venom even from here - so it's a double whammy of family fun lol!!!

It really bothered me at first, but now I just upload amazing pictures of us all living the dream and every post is a positive one.

We refer to my MIL as 'The Dementor' JK Rowing is a genius.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

old dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Scousebird
Ha! Tickled me this. Should start a thread on who left the UK to flee their mother in laws - Id sign up to it!
We could have started a facebook page - but they'd stalk us there!!
Old Jul 1st 2011, 8:04 pm

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys. Its nice to read the positives, I dont mind reading the negatives as that is reality and you need to cover every angle to ensure its right but I do like to hear both!
My response wasn't negative. The thread title asks a question and I answererd it honestly.

I have likes and dislikes about both NZ and the UK, the reason that I am living in NZ is as I stated, and those reasons will naturally play a part in my perception of life in NZ.

I will always post about both my negative and positive experiences of both countries, as is my right since both are countries of free speech.

Thank you to those who have expressed support/sympathy with my situation - I guess it is partly of my own making, I need to work on being more selfish
Old Jul 1st 2011, 8:08 pm

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish I had a mother-in-law - sadly the woman who would have been died before I ever met her
Old Jul 1st 2011, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon
My response wasn't negative. The thread title asks a question and I answererd it honestly.

I have likes and dislikes about both NZ and the UK, the reason that I am living in NZ is as I stated, and those reasons will naturally play a part in my perception of life in NZ.

I will always post about both my negative and positive experiences of both countries, as is my right since both are countries of free speech.

Thank you to those who have expressed support/sympathy with my situation - I guess it is partly of my own making, I need to work on being more selfish
Just so you know I was referring to the forum as a whole just think there should be all points of view sometimes recently it felt the negatives out weighed the positives but that is just my opinion. Thought your point was very honest and neutral.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

I wish I had a mother-in-law - sadly the woman who would have been died before I ever met her
You're very welcome to have mine, I was thinking of selling her on trademe but I was afraid of the feedback I would get and the buyer would know where I lived
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 12:26 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mcgarnagle
The amount of whingers on this site.

Nobody is forcing you to stay in a country you obviously don't like.
And it is not easy to get out things cost money and jobs etc...christ almighty
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by old dragon
We stayed because of the education system - we've found it brilliant, and because it's the furthest point on earth from my mother in law
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

I didn't think your post was negative at all, my identity at home was strongly linked to being a mother and a housewife. We planned our lives and family around it and I made a difficult choice and walked away from a very well paying career to achieve it.

When we moved here and I had to start work again to cover the bills whilst husband started again in a new profession - it meant I lost that and the children became latch key kids. It knocked me sideways in a way I hadn't prepared for and I still find it difficult missing out on the sports days/plays etc

As someone who finds living here a little bitter/sweet at times, I thought your post was very balanced and honest. I think perhaps you didn't get the public support simply because it's a head space you have to go into when you're in your amour plated bubble. I strongly suspect that several people would have wanted to type a response, but found it actually a little to difficult to do.

On a positive note and with my glass half full again, husband should be back and earning properly again within 2 years, and going back to work has re-ignited all my old ambition so I'm starting a degree in a completely new profession in January.

Oldest has decided on a Uni in Australia and the PR will give him access to it at local rates the children are loving the independence they have after school etc so it's all getting there.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day, I'm here because when I emigrated I never expected to return to the UK. I really never thought it would be as horrible here as it is.

One you have made that commitment to emigrate, it aint that easy to just undo it. Especially when you have young kiwi kids.

There is no doubt Id would rather leave, but achieving it aint that easy - its a long way, a big upheaval and no-one knows what really awaits you once you get there.

If it was just me, Id leave tomorrow, and take my chance.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 11:49 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Why have I remained in NZ? Well, simple, I love it. It suits me and my kids and I have a nice life all things considered.

I don't suffer from homesickness which I'm sure makes life easier. I have some really good friends, which again makes life happy. And my kids are settled and have become little Kiwis. I wouldn't want to move them again for now. You never know how things may change in the future, but for now I'm very happy here.

The weather, lifestyle, friends sum it up really.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Browner_
At the end of the day, I'm here because when I emigrated I never expected to return to the UK. I really never thought it would be as horrible here as it is.

One you have made that commitment to emigrate, it aint that easy to just undo it. Especially when you have young kiwi kids.

There is no doubt Id would rather leave, but achieving it aint that easy - its a long way, a big upheaval and no-one knows what really awaits you once you get there.

If it was just me, Id leave tomorrow, and take my chance.
Thats just how i feel somedays
Old Jul 4th 2011, 3:38 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

After reading the 'why did you leave' and wanting to slash my wrists would really like to know what has made people stay given the weather, wages, locals, opportunities, houses, tv, drivers, utility bills and tax system are crap not forgetting the crime rate, domestic and child abuse problems, gangs and substance misuse issues which are apparently on the increase. (have I forgetten much?! Sorry the education system?!)
Leaving has never been a consideration for us. Since arriving in NZ with just our backpacks and $500, we have gone from strength to strength. To the point where we have two business, one of which I will be expanding into Australia next year.

Now I am not saying that I could not have done something like this in the UK. But the whole experience of travelling around the world and starting a new life here has just grown us as people, to the point where I believe that we can do anything we put our mind to.

So as far as "standard of living" goes, we have no complaints. We are not relying on a pension to see us through our retirement, we are now investing money into buying a rural section and developing that to support us in our retirement. We have a good plan and we are striving towards it.

And I guess that is what I love about NZ the most, that it has been a good environment to make something from nothing.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Catchafire;9473502]Still no good at this quoting lark!

Good for you. My philosophy is it is better to have lived and lost then never have lived at all. I dont want to be sat around thinking what we should have done I want to be sat around thinking at least we tried whatever the outcome.

Last edited by Scousebird; Jul 4th 2011 at 7:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.