Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why have you remained in NZ

Why have you remained in NZ

Old Jul 1st 2011, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why have you remained in NZ

Woodpigion,

That made me quite sad have a virtuall hug

Neil
Old Jul 1st 2011, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

charlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nice

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon
Because I didn't feel confident that my kids would be able to fit back into the UK education system after spending 2-3 years in the NZ one, and

Because now we/they can't afford a UK uni education for them.

Because everyone except me and daughter want to stay here.

Because everytime I started making noises about going home OH came up with another 'unique' experience which either we wouldn't be able to do in the UK, or which made sense, at the time, to do whilst in NZ.

All of which can be summed up by:

Because I care more about my marriage and a stable family life, and my kids' futures, than my own individual happiness.
Well said, Woodpigeon, I'm singing from the same songsheet, this is why I stay too! And on good days I feel like I have two homes, which means 'the best of both worlds', on bad days I don't know which place to call 'home'.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 6:34 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Why have you remained in NZ

Don’t understand this. The weather is great 6 months of the year, if you want more perhaps the middle east or Australian desert are for you. I’m not a so inclined so stuff like child abuse, drugs, gangs etc. don’t bother me.

You lot are making it sound like living in South Africa FFS .

Factually speaking:
  • The biggest threats to your life in New Zealand will probably be heart attacks from snuffling too many sausage sizzles and beers.
  • Your most likely addiction to develop is Tim Tams (or maybe Haribo).
  • The most trouble you are likely to have with locals is understanding their accent (or them not understanding yours).
Old Jul 1st 2011, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Thanks guys. Its nice to read the positives, I dont mind reading the negatives as that is reality and you need to cover every angle to ensure its right but I do like to hear both!
Old Jul 1st 2011, 8:21 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Answer: Because me, the wife and the kids love our new life!
Old Jul 1st 2011, 8:30 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

No country is perfect (though sending Alasdair Thompson back to the 1950's would be a good start at improving ours ) but ours is better than most (I am bias!).

It’s the little things like being able to wear flip-flops all year round, having to watch out for stray sheep on back roads and being able to live in a house that is bigger than a shoe box (even if you can’t afford to heat it in winter). It’s another world out here, especially away from the cities, where you can plant whatever you like in your garden and children can spend all day riding dirt bikes around a field without anyone even hearing them. An undisturbed and peaceful life .
Old Jul 1st 2011, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scousebird
Having previously lived in NZ and wanting to return I have a good understanding of the pros and cons.
So you're best placed and know the answers already. Why didn't you stay the first time and what is the draw to make you come back?
Old Jul 1st 2011, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
I think it's pretty much self-explanatory why people stay in NZ. They have settled and love their lives here. Simple.
Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
So you're best placed and know the answers already. Why didn't you stay the first time and what is the draw to make you come back?
Dont know how Ive managed to double quote.
I know but I like to be reminded as Im going back with two small children therefore like to know more and confirm my decision. And obviously others read these posts to. In answer to your question we where on a WHV so only had 12 months and were going to extend the visa but my Mum got cancer which ended being terminal quite quickly so I think we were meant to return to the UK. We always planned to return but we got married and had a baby the same year as wanted Mum to be there but obviously that didnt happen so its delayed our return esp because I hadanother baby quite soon after the first. But we enjoyed the lifestyle and feel our kids would have a good life there.

Last edited by Scousebird; Jul 1st 2011 at 10:52 am. Reason: Xxx
Old Jul 1st 2011, 10:29 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

After reading the 'why did you leave' and wanting to slash my wrists would really like to know what has made people stay given the weather, wages, locals, opportunities, houses, tv, drivers, utility bills and tax system are crap not forgetting the crime rate, domestic and child abuse problems, gangs and substance misuse issues which are apparently on the increase. (have I forgetten much?! Sorry the education system?!)
I hear ya!

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon

All of which can be summed up by:

Because I care more about my marriage and a stable family life, and my kids' futures, than my own individual happiness.
I think that's really admirable. I sincerely hope things pick up for you and your daughter soon

I mastered the multi-quote again!
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

mcgarnagle will become famous soon enoughmcgarnagle will become famous soon enough

The amount of whingers on this site.

Nobody is forcing you to stay in a country you obviously don't like.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcgarnagle
The amount of whingers on this site.

Nobody is forcing you to stay in a country you obviously don't like.
Likewise, nobody is forcing you to read it, so go find something else that interests you.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

old dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud of

After reading the 'why did you leave' and wanting to slash my wrists would really like to know what has made people stay given the weather, wages, locals, opportunities, houses, tv, drivers, utility bills and tax system are crap not forgetting the crime rate, domestic and child abuse problems, gangs and substance misuse issues which are apparently on the increase. (have I forgetten much?! Sorry the education system?!)
We stayed because of the education system - we've found it brilliant, and because it's the furthest point on earth from my mother in law
Old Jul 1st 2011, 3:59 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know how Ive managed to double quote.
I know but I like to be reminded as Im going back with two small children therefore like to know more and confirm my decision. And obviously others read these posts to. In answer to your question we where on a WHV so only had 12 months and were going to extend the visa but my Mum got cancer which ended being terminal quite quickly so I think we were meant to return to the UK. We always planned to return but we got married and had a baby the same year as wanted Mum to be there but obviously that didnt happen so its delayed our return esp because I hadanother baby quite soon after the first. But we enjoyed the lifestyle and feel our kids would have a good life there.
I'm so sorry about your loss, I lost my mum earlier this year to cancer also. I'm glad I was here for her.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kija
I'm so sorry about your loss, I lost my mum earlier this year to cancer also. I'm glad I was here for her.
Sorry to hear that it. It really sucks. It does get better but you do still miss them loads. It upsets me just writing this - but Ive not long had a baby so thats probably why. Bloody hormones! I was glad I was there for her to.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old dragon
we've found it brilliant, and because it's the furthest point on earth from my mother in law
I thought that too, but she just joined Facebook

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.