Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:10 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

Originally Posted by Markk
Why are so many people getting beaten up on here just for asking a question?
THR is just asking why NZ'ers move to Australia. That seems like a relevant question for the NZ forum to to me.
Ummm, nobody's being beaten up for asking a question. My answer clearly states BE is an open forum. Ask away if it really is relevant to a forum dedicated to people who are looking to move to NZ or have moved to NZ.

THR posts many threads debating New Zealand and it's merits and downfalls. All I was pointing out is if one uses the "Search Forum" button, this kind of debate has been done over and over and the answers are always the same.

Money
Opportunity
More vibrant
Climate

VS

Australians
Snakes
Spiders
Climate

Last edited by Am Loolah; Mar 13th 2011 at 11:16 am.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Looking at the Census figures from 2006-2010 New Zealand has grown by around 350.000. Australia on the other hand has by 3 million. Despite expos around the U.K. and other emigration drives for around the last 20 years i would say there appears to be a problem somewhere. In the late 90s N.Z. was easy to get in to and probably still not to hard now.
The wages are crap people still insist on emigrating there after apparently doing research before hand, N.Z. has a massive brain drain which hasnt stopped in any way. From what i can gather the Aussies are not very happy with this as if the figures (true figures) were released there are plane loads leaving en masse. Holidaying and living as everyone knows are two completely different ball games. I would be worried about the growth or complete lack of it in N.Z.s case if it carries on the ten pound Pom scheme will be back for certain. After all it is extorion the cost of all the Emigration package.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:32 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Are the wages in NZ crap compared to Australia? If they are why don't even more people emigrate to Australia? Sense of belonging to a particular place perhaps is the reason why?

I'm sure that most of the expats who have moved to NZ from the UK have had enough of "the big world" but those who were born and bred in NZ probably have the need to see the world and the complete isolation of NZ may seem daunting to many people.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by THR
Are the wages in NZ crap compared to Australia? If they are why don't even more people emigrate to Australia? Sense of belonging to a particular place perhaps is the reason why?

I'm sure that most of the expats who have moved to NZ from the UK have had enough of "the big world" but those who were born and bred in NZ probably have the need to see the world and the complete isolation of NZ may seem daunting to many people.
For certain the wages whole cost of living is better in Aussie. I surmise heat, spiders, and the other creatures that survive in Aus put many people off. I can only speak for Auckland wages house prices cost of living were rediculous. Its a long way to go to struggle and all this rubbish about money not being everything is plain stupid. In Aus at least the wages even things out its just the heat and flies to contend with. The only thing cheap in Auckland seemed to be running your car.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnThePom
Remind us again Bo-Jangles - whats your personal particular beef with NZ again? You avoid no opportunity to run it down.
She's as entitled to run it down as you are to defend it.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

Why don't you post the question on the Australian forum asking Kiwi's Why THEY moved to Australia??????????? rather than asking those who are happy to live in New Zealand
Old Mar 14th 2011, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Aucklander
Why don't you post the question on the Australian forum asking Kiwi's Why THEY moved to Australia??????????? rather than asking those who are happy to live in New Zealand
That's quite an assumption you are making there!
Old Mar 14th 2011, 1:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That's quite an assumption you are making there!
Not sure I understand.

The title of the thread is -

Therefore it would seem that -

Why don't you post the question on the Australian forum asking Kiwi's why they moved to Australia ?
is a reasonable thought, as expat Kiwi's in Australia may better be able to answer for themselves.

For myself , as I am not a Kiwi whose eyes have looked to Oz , I don't feel able to make other than an assumption, although I could hazard a guess that they move for

1 - Money
2 - Family
3 - Lifestyle
4 - Opportunity

just as per the great migrant drift around the globe.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

I posted several questions on the Australia section see

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...55#post9237855

So far 2 answers & interesting remarks. I am off to bed but will look in tomorrow to see if any more answers.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BEVS
Not sure I understand.

The title of the thread is -

Therefore it would seem that -

is a reasonable thought, as expat Kiwi's in Australia may better be able to answer for themselves.

For myself , as I am not a Kiwi whose eyes have looked to Oz , I don't feel able to make other than an assumption, although I could hazard a guess that they move for

1 - Money
2 - Family
3 - Lifestyle
4 - Opportunity

just as per the great migrant drift around the globe.
The point I am making is that the OP is assuming that every one on the New Zealand board is so happy that they wouldn't move to Australia if you paid them.

Clearly this isn't the case.

That, I think, makes it a very relevant post for this board or the Australian one.

In my opinion of course.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 5:45 am
`

The point I am making is that the OP is assuming that every one on the New Zealand board is so happy that they wouldn't move to Australia if you paid them.
I can't see where THR has made this claim.

The question is about Kiwis that emigrate to Oz. Not other nationals that emigrate to NZ and then move onto Oz.

Best people to ask, in my humble opinion of course, are Kiwis themselves. I'm sure they must have a voice and don't need expats to answer for them.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by THR
Is the employment-situation in Sydney or Melbourne very good that anyone moving from NZ can just walk into the jobs? Having read the news that is quite not the case but yet the biggest amount of immigrants into Australia comes from NZ.

Why is this is exactly? Your family a 2-3h flight away back home? Ok, understandable. Need to see the world away from NZ? Get outta here!

But on a serious note, is NZ destined to be a country which attracts a lot of highly-skilled immigrants from countries like China or Vietnam while itself is pushing its own youths into Sydney, Melbourne or London?
OK then I am a 'kiwi' who emigrated to Australia. Twice in fact, some of us are slow learners I guess.

firstly [ remember that I have to cast my memory back to 1980]
it was the cheapest place to get to from NZ. even then nzers were crossing the Tasman in droves....

I can recall earning more money there however the cost of living was higher.....
i guess I was young and out to see the world, seeking adventure and so on....
Met some nice Australians and some less than pleasant, bit like anywhere really....
I like the hot weather and all the different cuisines that were on offer, never saw a snake or spider, but the cockroaches were of criminal size....
other than that there was not anything to keep me there....
Personally I find far more opportunity in NZ, but that's just me....I can't even be bothered to go to Aus. for a holiday, there are far more interesting places....
Old Mar 14th 2011, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
I can't see where THR has made this claim.

The question is about Kiwis that emigrate to Oz. Not other nationals that emigrate to NZ and then move onto Oz.

Best people to ask, in my humble opinion of course, are Kiwis themselves. I'm sure they must have a voice and don't need expats to answer for them.
If you look carefully I was responding to one of the replies, not the original thread.

There are surely plenty of Kiwis on here (and by that I mean expats who have become citizens of New Zealand as well as native Kiwis) who are possibly in the process of the move or have thought about it? So, that makes THR's original thread quite relevant on this board surely?
Old Mar 14th 2011, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Before I'd visited or lived in NZ, I used to wonder the same thing.
I thought , why do kiwis want to come over to England?

Eventually I worked it out:

- NZ is about 1/100th as good as its image
- If i was born in NZ, heading off to Sydney or Melbourne would be the first thing I would do when I left school

Us Europeans , many of whom seem to like NZ, have had the benefit of a decent education and cultural upbringing and world experience, travel and awareness.

Unfortunately, that is not so easily obtainable for your average kiwi.

Can you really imagine being brought up where your world view is Christchurch or Wellington? It must be seriously depressing.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 9:42 am
`

There are surely plenty of Kiwis on here (and by that I mean expats who have become citizens of New Zealand as well as native Kiwis) who are possibly in the process of the move or have thought about it? So, that makes THR's original thread quite relevant on this board surely?
You can't become a Kiwi. You have to be born in NZ to be one of those. I;m an NZ citizen and a New Zealander these days but I'm not, and would never claim to be a Kiwi. Any more than my parents German friends back in the UK would claim to be British.

I'm pretty darn sure that THR meant native born Kiwis & not expats.

Originally Posted by markk
If you look carefully I was responding to one of the replies, not the original thread.
Perhaps you should look carefully for you stated

the point I am making is that the OP is assuming that every one on the New Zealand board is so happy that they wouldn't move to Australia if you paid them.
OP as in opening poster surely. This is the original thread & you are stating you are not responding to it . If you meant to direct your response to one of the replies within the thread that you state you are not responding to , then perhaps you should have made that clear.

Still, THR likes to start these threads to jerk strings for reasons only known to THR and then sit back and watch .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.