Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:23 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

Originally Posted by Markk
I really think you are wrong about this janek, 'Kiwi' is certainly not derogatory in any way.

New Zealanders refer to themselves as Kiwis.
I totally agree and that's what I was trying to say too. It's more an endearing, pride behind the use of the word. And for that very reason I have never heard it used in a derogatory way.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Am Loo
I totally agree and that's what I was trying to say too. It's more an endearing, pride behind the use of the word. And for that very reason I have never heard it used in a derogatory way.
Neither have I. It's used with pride.

Originally Posted by Wessa

Im not in NZ just yet (only a couple of weeks tho) and i get the sense that people dont like the fact that Kiwi's call us poms.
It's the way it's said sometimes ,when someone wants to have a bit of a pop, that ain't all that. One gets used to it.

In fact, last time i was there someone called me a joker.. seemed strange to me but the guy generally used this term for otherfella's too.

That's used around here too Wessa. Not sure it's meant as a joking person as such. It's a sorta slang. I felt it meant bloke. I'll ask

This thread now has made me wonder if the majority who end up staying in NZ actually enjoy it or just put up with it..

Gary.
Interesting thought. Is it worth a poll?

FWIW mate. I enjoy some aspects of my NZ life and I also don't enjoy some aspects of my NZ life. Bit like my UK life was. No change there then
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BEVS

That's used around here too Wessa. Not sure it's meant as a joking person as such. It's a sorta slang. I felt it meant bloke. I'll ask
Yeah, i took it as a bit of slang tbh. I also took it that it ment bloke too but When he said it i strangely felt a bit offended, i dont know why...
He said, and this was 3 yrs ago but i still remember it,
" yeah, and we had this other joker from the uk come work for us"
He was a good bloke, it just seemed strange... Spose i'l get used to it.

Even with citizenship i still wouldn't naturally be a Kiwi.. It's just a state of mind eh..
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:36 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't it only natural that those born and raised in a country will never fully consider those who have moved to that country later on their lives as "real" countrymen of that country? Or perhaps "never" is too harsh but it takes decades to be accepted. Of course, that varies from one country to another.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wessa
Yeah, i took it as a bit of slang tbh. I also took it that it ment bloke too but When he said it i strangely felt a bit offended, i dont know why...
He said, and this was 3 yrs ago but i still remember it,
" yeah, and we had this other joker from the uk come work for us"
He was a good bloke, it just seemed strange... Spose i'l get used to it.

Even with citizenship i still wouldn't naturally be a Kiwi.. It's just a state of mind eh..
My grandparents (North of England) used to use 'joker' in the same context. My take is that it is not as neutral as bloke...it implies some degree of disapproval of said person. He could mean the other Brit was the joker and you he doesn't know you well enough yet but you get tarred with the same brush in the meantime.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
My grandparents (North of England) used to use 'joker' in the same context. My take is that it is not as neutral as bloke...it implies some degree of disapproval of said person. He could mean the other Brit was the joker and you he doesn't know you well enough yet but you get tarred with the same brush in the meantime.
Yes I agree it's used in the same context as being usually a non-specific person e.g. some joker ... being a person for whom the speaker has little respect or doesn't know. Quite bluntly they thought them to be a fool or idiot and almost certainly they are not using joker to describe someone as being a good laugh.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 7:04 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Bloke is entirely neutral in my view - often refers to somebody that is unknown to the first person.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Bloke is entirely neutral in my view - often refers to somebody that is unknown to the first person.
I didn't say it wasn't neutral. Bloke is absolutely neutral but 'joker' isn't.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 6:55 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you
Old Mar 17th 2011, 11:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Ah ! That's a much better description of how I've heard it used . A bloke, but not quite the ticket.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 12:28 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Watt Dabney
What an interesting thread.

On the subject of being NZ'er, Pom, Kiwi. As someone who is English, emigrated to NZ became an NZ citizen and now lives in Oz on an NZ passport I have a little experience.

In NZ it was always made quite clear to me by a lot of 'kiwis' that I was and always would be a Pom and would only ever be a NZ'er on paper. Such a shame, I find this attitude very sad, and archaic, and feeds the feeling of division that bubbles away under the NZ psyche between kiwis/maori/asian/pom/other migrants, all desiring the ultimate crown of a true NZ'er and excluding all other pretenders to the throne.

In Oz on the other hand, I may be asked where this oddball accent hails from, but I am to the majority of whom I encounter......just me. If I am a good person, am contributing to society, a hard worker and raising good kids then I am an Ozzie...
Come off it.
I'm from Manchester and I was even asked by the guy handing me my Oz citizenship certificate "which part of the North are you from then?"
We'll always be Brits first and Australians second. I don't have an issue with that. It's just how it is.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile, vaguely back on the original topic! Having just spent a lovely weekend in Melbourne, I can see why Kiwi's move across the ditch! As much as I love Welly, being in a bustling large cosmpolitan city was really rather fun
Old Mar 18th 2011, 3:26 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

My problem with being called a “Pom” is that there is a direct correlation between people who call the English “Poms” and people who are, as we call them where I come from, “Willy waving cnuts”.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 3:31 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Charismatic
My problem with being called a “Pom” is that there is a direct correlation between people who call the English “Poms” and people who are, as we call them where I come from, “Willy waving cnuts”.
What's the deal with your Blofeld avatar?

Old Mar 18th 2011, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markk
I really think you are wrong about this janek, 'Kiwi' is certainly not derogatory in any way.

New Zealanders refer to themselves as Kiwis.
I don't think the term 'kiwi' is derogatory at all. I think it is a word used with HUGE pride. I personally don't find 'brit, paddy, frog or pom' an insult either ( I am very closely tied to all 3) and I am quite a sensitive individual!!!! They are just words..sticks and stones......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.