Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Why would you want to move to a country and not fit in? People here appreciate it if you make the effort.
ok then, my lasting memory of living in Australia was in 1990; the first Gulf War
and I can assure that in Sydney there was a very considerable and vocal minority of people whom had no intention of 'fitting in'.
I am not going to go on about it, but there are plenty of people in
Australia whom have not intention of fitting in. Don't worry about the 'kiwi' population; they are relatively harmless.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:00 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez that was over 20 years ago. Things move on you know and Sydney is not Australia.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BEVS
UUmm. No. I lived in the UK for 50 years and it wasn't like that where I lived in a seaside town at all. On your own merit was the order of the day . Not who you knew at all.

It's a learning curve.
well I lived in the East end of London for over 10 years and it certainly got easier the longer I was there, it was definitely a case of who you knew. Quite cosy really, but not a lot of merit involved
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Jeez that was over 20 years ago. Things move on you know and Sydney is not Australia.
wot? do you think they have all died and gone to heaven
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
Really? People around us here are proud to describe themselves as Kiwi . Same with the media at every opportunity.

The media is an interesting one; I can't say I come across the term 'kiwi' used by employees of National Radio, is it a term used by the Listener?
I don't bother with other stations/rags......I don't hear Prime Ministers using 'kiwi' either.
I think it depends on how casual or sloppy the media organisation is; at the end of the day we will have different experiences of it, you don't know the people I do and vice versa.

I don't use the term 'Pom', to some it is endearing, other people don't like it, I am not a fan of 'Aussie' either though and I certainly never use Yank or Jap. They all have derogatory undertones IMO.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite as much as being called pakeha, but I understand your point. I hate that people categorize based on ancestry or skin tone.
Like having a Maori Political Party?
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janek
The media is an interesting one; I can't say I come across the term 'kiwi' used by employees of National Radio, is it a term used by the Listener?
I don't bother with other stations/rags......I don't hear Prime Ministers using 'kiwi' either.
I think it depends on how casual or sloppy the media organisation is; at the end of the day we will have different experiences of it, you don't know the people I do and vice versa.

Oh please, I think it is just you that are barking up a very different tree and trying to make something out of nothing. The word Kiwi is so entrenched in Kiwidom from the very bottom to the top and not just in the media. Kiwi is an identity label, like a badge that is worn very proudly on Kiwi chests, in fact to a point where it goes beyond the ridiculous that every conceivable combination or use of the word Kiwi is made for all manner of things, from company names, banks, Government campaigns, advertising etc

Kiwi Made
Kiwi can-do....
Tidy Kiwi campaigns
Self-made Kiwi....
Kiwibank
Kiwirail
Kiwisaver
KiwiFM
Kiwi Camping
Kiwi Experience (Buses)
KOL - Kiwi-On-Line Internet provider

Pom doesn't of course work in the same context and there will not ever be a PomBank, or PomSaver scheme simply because it is not terminology that English people generally use to describe themselves in their own country.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Mar 16th 2011 at 8:57 am.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Just like a small SI country town is not NZ

It seems to me that opinions are usually based on an very narrow vision of where one chooses to live.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Like having a Maori Political Party?
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:34 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Oh please, I think it is just you that are barking up a very different tree and trying to make something out of nothing. The word Kiwi is so entrenched in Kiwidom from the very bottom to the top and not just in the media. Kiwi is an identity label, like a badge that is worn very proudly on Kiwi chests, in fact to a point where it goes beyond the ridiculous that every conceivable combination or use of the word Kiwi is made for all manner of things, from company names, banks, Government campaigns, advertising etc

Kiwi Made
Kiwi can-do....
Tidy Kiwi campaigns
Self-made Kiwi....
Kiwibank
Kiwirail
Kiwisaver
KiwiFM
Kiwi Camping
Kiwi Experience (Buses)

Pom doesn't of course work in the same context and there will not ever be a PomBank, or PomSaver scheme simply because it is not terminology that English people generally use to describe themselves in their own country.
I see all of the above as extremely positive examples of an extremely proud little country. They are proud of their "nickname" if you like and use it across the board. I personally find it endearing. Like I do when the kids at my two youngest's primary school raise and lower the NZ flag every day. In fact how the NZ flag flies proudly from so many places, even in the middle of a roundabout! How they sing the National Anthem in school every day with immense pride. How the country's Prime Minister can be on a radio interview and the presenter calls him "mate."

IMHO I felt that the UK had lost that National pride quite a bit before I left nearly 4 years ago.

Am still giggling over "Pombank" thank you!!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:47 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Just like a small SI country town is not NZ

It seems to me that opinions are usually based on an very narrow vision of where one chooses to live.
Where do you live - not Auckland I hope? New Zealand is a collection of small towns, villages and townships among which a handful of cities have grown up. IMO the soul of New Zealand has been lost in places like Auckland, though once you get outside the city limits it quickly re-appears. You don't have to go far to find it.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I see all of the above as extremely positive examples of an extremely proud little country. They are proud of their "nickname" if you like and use it across the board. I personally find it endearing. Like I do when the kids at my two youngest's primary school raise and lower the NZ flag every day. In fact how the NZ flag flies proudly from so many places, even in the middle of a roundabout! How they sing the National Anthem in school every day with immense pride. How the country's Prime Minister can be on a radio interview and the presenter calls him "mate."

IMHO I felt that the UK had lost that National pride quite a bit before I left nearly 4 years ago.
That post is spot on for me...
Good for them.
Im proud to say in British although im now not proud of england so much anymore, and haven't for a long time now.....
Im not in NZ just yet (only a couple of weeks tho) and i get the sense that people dont like the fact that Kiwi's call us poms..In fact, last time i was there someone called me a joker.. seemed strange to me but the guy generally used this term for otherfella's too.. It won't bother me because i am not a kiwi.. I would feel greatful to be called a Kiwi if it happens as that will be the lifestyle i will be living.
I seem to be missing something as i call it how it is. The only difference is if i call someone here in the uk a nickname, it doesnt go down too well.. So lighten up with the kiwi nickname thing....

Also there seems to be alot on negetivaty towards the NZ way of life.. Dont get me wrong, i appreciate the real happenings and experiencesof living in NZ but there is advice and opinions and then there is an outright slatting... which i find quite sad really...

This thread now has made me wonder if the matority who end up staying in NZ actaully enjoy it or just put up with it..

Gary.

Last edited by Wessa; Mar 16th 2011 at 5:19 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Kiwi Made
Kiwi can-do....
Tidy Kiwi campaigns
Self-made Kiwi....
Kiwibank
Kiwirail
Kiwisaver
KiwiFM
Kiwi Camping
Kiwi Experience (Buses)

yeah and you're tarring everyone with the same brush. Again. Its no wonder you find living in a foreign country such an unnerving experience.
I wasn't on about branding; as i said previously the nick name 'kiwi' is used often as a derogatory term, you would have to be blind & deaf not to notice that; It is not all over the media, at least not any more than New Zealander is; on the other hand it might depend on your listening and viewing habits; I don't recall when reading the last census papers been given the opportunity to call myself a 'Kiwi'.
It's just that it grates on your nerves when you hear it so therefore you think that it is.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:55 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wessa
That post is spot on for me...
Good for them.
Im proud to say in British although im now not proud of england so much anymore, and haven't for a long time now.....
Im not in NZ just yet (only a couple of weeks tho) and i get the sense that people dont like the fact that Kiwi's call us poms..In fact, last time i was there someone called me a joker.. seemed strange to me but the guy generally used this term for otherfella's too.. It won't bother me because i am not a kiwi.. I would feel greatful to be called a Kiwi if it happens as that will be the lifestyle i will be living.
I seem to be missing something as i call it how it is. The only difference is if i call someone here in the uk a nickname, it doesnt go down too well.. So lighten up with the kiwi nickname thing....

Also there seems to be alot on negetivaty towards the NZ way of life.. Dont get me wrong, i appreciate the real happenings and experiencesof living in NZ but there is advice and opinions and then there is an outright slatting... which i find quite sad really...

This thread now has made me wonder if the matority who end up staying in NZ actaully enjoy it or just put up with it..

Gary.

Let me just say this, I have been called a pom equally as many times if not more over in Australia, and it dosen't bother me one jot......never has never will....in fact I find it quite endearing.

Its the sense of belonging, or more the sense that you never will really, that you get from the locals that I found very unsettling. My citizenship day i will always remember as that morning I spent fending off the resentful vibes from a collegue who spent most day moaning that it was not fair as the Government had never given her a tree, and how did I deserve one I wasn't even a Kiwi for christs sake.

I hope you exerience different
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by janek
yeah and you're tarring everyone with the same brush. Again. Its no wonder you find living in a foreign country such an unnerving experience.
I wasn't on about branding; as i said previously the nick name 'kiwi' is used often as a derogatory term, you would have to be blind & deaf not to notice that; It is not all over the media, at least not any more than New Zealander is; on the other hand it might depend on your listening and viewing habits; I don't recall when reading the last census papers been given the opportunity to call myself a 'Kiwi'.
It's just that it grates on your nerves when you hear it so therefore you think that it is.
I really think you are wrong about this janek, 'Kiwi' is certainly not derogatory in any way.

New Zealanders refer to themselves as Kiwis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.