Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:37 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

Originally Posted by Browner_
Before I'd visited or lived in NZ, I used to wonder the same thing.
I thought , why do kiwis want to come over to England?

Eventually I worked it out:

- NZ is about 1/100th as good as its image
Nah it's 72.8% as good as its image. Although I concede it does seem to be consistently worse through your eyes.

JTP
Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:51 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
Ok, I admit that my OP was perhaps a bit patronising therefore I can understand the hostile response. My apologies, it wasn't meant to be offensive or patronising.

But if we get back on the subject itself, it is common among youngsters everywhere to have a sense of adventure and perhaps in a country like NZ which is very far away from everywhere that sense of adventure among the younsters is even stronger. A lot of people may think they go out to see the world for a year or two and then get back home but for some things turn out differently and they find a very good job, they meet a partner and in other ways as well life becomes settled in the new country and the idea of returning to the country of birth becomes more and more remote.
It's not the patronising aspect of the question that bugged me, it's the repetitiveness of it and the fact that it provides a platform for all the same old anti-NZ moaners to vent their predjudices. Again.

Why go back to the original question? You appear to already have the answers. Did you do a search?

Or is it just the reaction you're craving after all?

Honestly, I didn't think you were a troll before, but I'm changing my mind now.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:10 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, we could respond to almost all posts with "do a search" and just close the forum, but that wouldn't be any fun.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:22 am
Near the outer fringe

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
To be fair, we could respond to almost all posts with "do a search" and just close the forum, but that wouldn't be any fun.
Point taken. My bad. I guess there are always new people around who are reading it all for the first time as well.

...and people need to vent, me included.

Have a nice day everyone!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnThePom
She certainly is, and I'm entitled to ask the question why she is doing it.

Which I notice she has avoided answering.
I don't need to answer to you and as I already said this thread is not about me, but you're very welcome to read all 1005 of my posts if you are genuinely interested. To save me harping on again I will refer you to a posting I wrote in March 2008

I don't dislike NZ enough to leave at this moment in time. We're fairly content for the time being, but I can identify with most of your post and see exactly where you are coming from. After the initial euphoria of being here and everything being new, one begins to scratch below the surface and see NZ for what it really is. It's not uncommon for people to move on after about five years of battling away and not really getting what they came here for.

I often asked myself the questions: What am I doing here? Will we stay here?

We're here pretty much just existing day to day, working albeit in a nicer environment with beaches on the doorstep etc, but we don't HAVE to live in NZ for that. Life here is pretty dull most days, traffic problems and infrastructure are a nightmare and whoever says that Kiwis are out there doing stuff instead of shopping lives in a different world to me. Shopping malls are rammed out every weekend and public holiday including Boxing Day. Within three years of being in Auckland two massive new shopping malls have been built, Sylvia Park and Albany and they're still chock full to capacity every weekend in the carparks and they're still building more.

I do find NZ very shallow, everything revolves around a dollar and I can't abide the cheap is best attitude. In the most parts it's cheap, tatty and tacky and at times a weeny but too primitive for my liking. Not a day goes by when some aspect of life here, doesn't make me wonder just where the hell are we living?

I also agree that NZ has gone downhill in three years since we've been here, however I do doubt myself and maybe it always like that only I was too blind to see in the giddy heights of settling in and I probably didn't know enough to form an educated opinion.

If opinions written here make others question if NZ is for them, then that can only be a good thing. Wouldn't want to disappoint anyone turning up here thinking everyone is living the dream, with wall to wall sunshine, living a cruisey life, fulfilled and rolling in dollars. Yeah right!
It still stands true and I haven't changed my mind
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnThePom
She certainly is, and I'm entitled to ask the question why she is doing it.

Which I notice she has avoided answering.
Err she doesn't have to answer you at all...it's entirely her choice how much she wants to share...this is the internet... she could be a bloke for all you know...she could even live in Oz and we'd none of us be any the wiser lol.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 6:06 pm
Near the outer fringe

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Err she doesn't have to answer you at all...it's entirely her choice how much she wants to share...this is the internet... she could be a bloke for all you know...she could even live in Oz and we'd none of us be any the wiser lol.
Of course. Free speech and all that. But just like it makes sense to remind readers that NZ isn't utopia it's also worth reminding people that each person writing here has their own reasons for the stance they take.

I've seen many times people saying that the people like me, that actually like NZ are just justifying their decision to live here because they don't want to admit to making a mistake and are blinding themselves to the problems.

But the converse is also true. People that don't like to live here can ignore their mistake in coming here by picking up all the negatives they can find and blaming the country instead.

So my point is that it IS all about the people posting. If you want to post facts about NZ to influence peoples choice about moving here, then you have a moral obligation to declare the nature of your interest.

That's a moral obligation, not a legal one. As you keep pointing out - short of upsetting the moderators you've a right to post any old nonsense you like and not justify it at all.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

My 5c.

It's been done to death. THR- google it if your unhealthy fascination persists.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:46 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howick
My 5c.

Which denies all the newbies the chance to discuss it and all those who feel differently than they used to the chance to discuss it. If you feel it's been done to death- don't open the thread. My 5c.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Howick
My 5c.

I've got to ask this, so please don't take offence:

You joined the forum this month. Why would you think it has been done to death, and shouldn't the original question be of interest to you?

I'm trying to understand why posters get shouted down for asking a question.

We all go through stages in the expat process. There is the initial enthusiasm of arriving and everything seems perfect and great.

After a while, sometimes months and sometimes years, the enthusiasm dies away and you will be left with the reality of what you have done.

Some will still think New Zealand is great and still want to stay here forever (or think they do) and some won't.

Some will be stuck here for financial or family reasons and they may feel angry about this. Some will find it hard to believe that people question the utopia they have moved to.

This is obviously going to influence how we respond to questions and what kind of threads we start.

Don't we just have to try and remain objective about each question that comes up rather than forcing our views on everyone else? And in a lot of cases just getting personal about it?

Going back to a previous reply, sorry about this, those of us who have gained citizenship may indeed consider themselves Kiwis. I might not pass Norman Tebbits 'Cricket test', but I never agreed with it anyway.

I therefore was attracted by the original question that THR asked.

There will even be a lot of 'real Kiwis' on here anyway who can add something to this thread.

Trust me when I say, as someone who has gone through these stages, that you will see threads like this differently depending on what stage you have got to.

Sorry, that probably all sounds deeply patronising, that is my 10c worth (inflation!).

Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

Markk,

I say that because irrespective of when the subject is raised, you will have varying viewpoints & IMO, if youa re that interested, then devote some time independently to the subject. JOhn the Pom is right- you could google the subject until your heart's contect & irrespective of what I, or anyone else has to say- it's a highly subjective area.

I will also say that I provided my take on it. If you think this is the right forum to get the answers, fill your boots. This is, however, the last place I would look.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Markk
Going back to a previous reply, sorry about this, those of us who have gained citizenship may indeed consider themselves Kiwis.
Maannn . You wouldn't get away with that with the Kiwis we live among. You'd be told in no uncertain terms. You may say you're a New Zealander if you've done yer time, but you also be a Pom if you're from England and not ever, not no-how, no-way , never ever a Kiwi.

BEVS
Here 7 years
NZ Citizen.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 1:43 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Maannn . You wouldn't get away with that with the Kiwis we live among. You'd be told in no uncertain terms. You may say you're a New Zealander if you've done yer time, but you also be a Pom if you're from England and not ever, not no-how, no-way , never ever a Kiwi.
This is true. I've know of a guy who's been in NZ for well over 40 years and everyone still called him "the dutchman" and I never did find out his real name.

You have to have planted a string of grandfathers in NZ soil to be given the honour of calling yourself a Kiwi.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 4:00 am
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I'm sure that is the case in almost all of the countries of the world but one would have thought that a country like NZ were an exception as such a large amount of its population was born overseas.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

THR,

An exception, ey?

What % of NZ'ers were born overseas? Time for you to do some work.

Next, find out what that same % is for Canada, USA, Australia. You'll find that just another of your sweeping generalisations is wide of the mark.

What is the situation with Scandanavia. Are there open borders to immigrate, between Norway, Finland, Sweden & Denmark? If so, what country experiences a net loss in people? Why is one country favoured over the other? Is the driver a similar one to NZ- primarily the economy? Is weather/lifestyle a factor?

I am really looking forward to seeing your responses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.