Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

Originally Posted by BEVS
You can't become a Kiwi. You have to be born in NZ to be one of those. I;m an NZ citizen and a New Zealander these days but I'm not, and would never claim to be a Kiwi. Any more than my parents German friends back in the UK would claim to be British.

I'm pretty darn sure that THR meant native born Kiwis & not expats.

Perhaps you should look carefully for you stated

OP as in opening poster surely. This is the original thread & you are stating you are not responding to it . If you meant to direct your response to one of the replies within the thread that you state you are not responding to , then perhaps you should have made that clear.

Still, THR likes to start these threads to jerk strings for reasons only known to THR and then sit back and watch .
Look carefully again, I even quoted what I was responding to!

OP means 'Other Poster', doesn't it?

Every one is so darn touchy on here. You've reminded me why I don't post often! Blimey even the moderators put the boot in. , it always turns into a ruck!
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markk
OP means 'Other Poster', doesn't it?
Original Poster I think youll find
Old Mar 14th 2011, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Every one is so darn touchy on here. You've reminded me why I don't post often! Blimey even the moderators put the boot in. , it always turns into a ruck!
I agree Markk - I don't see what it matters at all really any of the moot points which have been raised. Reading through the thread, I got 'deja vu' about points of order discussions at boring meetings....yawn.

I agree with Bevs that THR does this a lot...must be even more boring in Finland than in NZ
Old Mar 14th 2011, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Well i think the OPs questions are very well thought out.
It sure beats the 'The price of food' or
'Blimey I didn't know there was no M & S' or 'I didn't realise I would miss my mum' threads that some people start.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 8:16 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Before I'd visited or lived in NZ, I used to wonder the same thing.
I thought , why do kiwis want to come over to England?

Eventually I worked it out:

- NZ is about 1/100th as good as its image
- If i was born in NZ, heading off to Sydney or Melbourne would be the first thing I would do when I left school

Us Europeans , many of whom seem to like NZ, have had the benefit of a decent education and cultural upbringing and world experience, travel and awareness.

Unfortunately, that is not so easily obtainable for your average kiwi.

Can you really imagine being brought up where your world view is Christchurch or Wellington or Australia? It must be seriously depressing.

It is.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I agree Markk - I don't see what it matters at all really any of the moot points which have been raised. Reading through the thread, I got 'deja vu' about points of order discussions at boring meetings....yawn.

I agree with Bevs that THR does this a lot...must be even more boring in Finland than in NZ
I can't really see what the problem is. THR may very well do this a lot (I'm not sure, I don't come on here that much now), but it is still a very good point/question and as JaneK said well thought out.

Others might not like it and think/know there is an ulterior motive for THR's posts, but why the vitriolic response not only to the OP but also to anyone else who thinks THR has asked an interesting question? Even the mods get in on the act now!
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Just got my Popcorn and put my feet up.. I do like this thread..
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

So THR, why the fascination. I gave you my 5c worth. You started the thread, presumably for a reason. Enlighten me at the very least?
Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:51 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janek
Well i think the OPs questions are very well thought out.
It sure beats the 'The price of food' or
'Blimey I didn't know there was no M & S' or 'I didn't realise I would miss my mum' threads that some people start.
It does for us perhaps, but to the people who ask them they're obviously important.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:55 am
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I admit that my OP was perhaps a bit patronising therefore I can understand the hostile response. My apologies, it wasn't meant to be offensive or patronising.

But if we get back on the subject itself, it is common among youngsters everywhere to have a sense of adventure and perhaps in a country like NZ which is very far away from everywhere that sense of adventure among the younsters is even stronger. A lot of people may think they go out to see the world for a year or two and then get back home but for some things turn out differently and they find a very good job, they meet a partner and in other ways as well life becomes settled in the new country and the idea of returning to the country of birth becomes more and more remote.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:18 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Even the mods get in on the act now!
Moderators are entitled to have an opinion just like any other users on BE Markk.

Where you got the impression that we were in some way above all other lowly users and sat up high on our soap box in our ivory tower looking down upon the poor people, fingers hovering over the ban button I have no idea ...

My eldest daughter (a NZ citizen by descent) moved to Perth in November, aged 18. Her reasons, other than the BF moving there, were it was more exciting (here is "boring") the money is better, the opportunities are better, the weather is better. I can see from an 18 year olds perspective all of the reasons she's stated as more than valid. For little old me though, I rather like the small, remote, quiet that NZ has to offer.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Well quite.
Needless to say where most teenagers live it is boring, but that's the mentality of being a teenager, i can hardly remember.... there is of course no such thing as a boring place or a depressing place for that matter, only bored and depressed people.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Moderators are entitled to have an opinion just like any other users on BE Markk.

Where you got the impression that we were in some way above all other lowly users and sat up high on our soap box in our ivory tower looking down upon the poor people, fingers hovering over the ban button I have no idea ...

My eldest daughter (a NZ citizen by descent) moved to Perth in November, aged 18. Her reasons, other than the BF moving there, were it was more exciting (here is "boring") the money is better, the opportunities are better, the weather is better. I can see from an 18 year olds perspective all of the reasons she's stated as more than valid. For little old me though, I rather like the small, remote, quiet that NZ has to offer.
I am suitably chastised <snip> Am Loolah

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 15th 2011 at 6:18 am. Reason: Wee snip . Am Loo may not want her given name on this open forum.... Will unsnip if OK. cheers
Old Mar 15th 2011, 6:43 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

As a young professional kiwi I knew I wanted to live overseas somewhere at some stage in my life. Never occurred to me to go to Oz, the bright lights of London were a much better fit for me.

I know a lot of my schoolmates ended up in Oz, they were mainly trades skilled guys and gals. After living in a new country for a period of time it gets very comfortable and the move back can be harder to make than you expected at the outset. I know I stayed away from NZ for longer than I was planning (10 years rather than 4-5). I know of plenty of mates in Oz and the UK who set off for the OE and will never now return.

I like to look at the original question from an alternative point of view - if the US was the UK's nearest neighbour and it had bigger and brighter opportunities, and importantly an open door and big welcome attitude, how many Brits would move there for an OE, or even for good. I suspect plenty.

I don't think there is anything sinister in that. Just horses for courses and young people taking what is a great opportunity presented to them.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:28 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
She's as entitled to run it down as you are to defend it.
She certainly is, and I'm entitled to ask the question why she is doing it.

Which I notice she has avoided answering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.