Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

Old Mar 12th 2011, 8:32 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

Is the employment-situation in Sydney or Melbourne very good that anyone moving from NZ can just walk into the jobs? Having read the news that is quite not the case but yet the biggest amount of immigrants into Australia comes from NZ.

Why is this is exactly? Your family a 2-3h flight away back home? Ok, understandable. Need to see the world away from NZ? Get outta here!

But on a serious note, is NZ destined to be a country which attracts a lot of highly-skilled immigrants from countries like China or Vietnam while itself is pushing its own youths into Sydney, Melbourne or London?
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why exactly do kiwis emigrate to Australia?

its the wages same job twice as much pretty much. The wages in NZ are shocking im glad I work for the company do otherwise i would be earning half what i am now.

Also I think the comparitive bright lights of Sydney etc seem to lull them over. I cant understand it, just a desert with loads of things out to eat you if you ask me.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

I have to ask, why would someone residing in Finland be asking such a question. Please enlighten me.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:44 am
Just Joined

K Schlegl is an unknown quantity at this point

just from what I learned, Kiwi's like Australia because they can get jobs here easily and the money here is worth a great deal in New Zealand. When I first moved here my fiance's roommate purchased all her appliances in Australia and shipped them over- worth it for her. I didn't see the numbers. Also a lot of their professional qualifications will be accepted here, she was a nurse
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

I've also been told that if they move to Australia, they don't have to repay their student loans...
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:06 am
Just Joined

K Schlegl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
I've also been told that if they move to Australia, they don't have to repay their student loans...
-don't count on it
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

There are, IMO- about 3 primary reasons:

1. The economy- probably for every 10 kiwis who move there, 7 would be for this reason.
2. Lifestyle/climate- for many. More choice, bigger cities so nightlife, etc has great appeal for many 20 something's- especially in tandem with point 1, above.
3. Family- increasingly as more move there, a bigger reason for grandparents/brothers, etc to relocate.

I lived in Toronto, 1989-2007. Played & coached in a large rugby club in downtown T.O. I lost count on the number of colleagues who sought transfer to the larger US offices, I also saw time & again, many Canadian's who had graduated move immediately to the USA- many illegally, to boot. If the USA allowed Canadians the same access to the USA, then Canada would be in a similar place to NZ. When there is free access to a bigger economy, the smaller economy will inevitably lose out, though I hasten to add, this would not be the case over the last 18-24 months, with the USA economy in so much trouble & a resilient Canuk economy defying global trends.

Many expats on this site would be far better positioned than I to comment on the Scottish drift to larger English cities in pursuit of better jobs/money. The same could be said for the Irish. Legally they could move....and droves did & do. It is a fact of life.

Australia is a great place to live. Infrastruce is first world, generally they have a positive outlook on life, you can live in some cities where the winter is virtually non existent. It has a thriving economy with wage growth at levels I would suggest not seen anywhere else in the world.

The downside...& reason why I am in NZ, after many years in Oz & Canada. The public education system in NZ- is very, very good. You can have your kid educated for a very small amount of money in the public system & come out the other end, well educated. An American would struggle with this concept. At the end of the day, one has to weigh up what is the most important reason for where they live. This was for me. Education for the kids. I also appreciate the safety thing, NZ'ers & Australians do not know how fortuante they are to have kids run around safely during the school holidays/dinner time without fear of violence/kidnapping, etc. I'm talking at a high lelvel here, in NZ & Oz, of course there is violence & kidnapping & sexual assualt on children- but relative to many other first world countries, it is a safe place. This too, was very, very important to me when I made the decision on where I wanted to raise my family.

Its a personal, subjective decision on which country works for you. Oz works on so many levels, but to raise a family, NZ wins hands down. But you cannot do that on $35k per year. I'm perhaps fortunate that I'm relatively well educated (Masters level), I work & live in Akl & the company I work for, released data which shows that 60% of the staff are on $100k+. I earn reasonable money. Crap salaries in NZ do no one any favours. The only gripe I have is when kiwis & kiwi recruitment company wax lyrically about 'lifestyle'. Its a cop out to cover for the fact that they're going to try pay you a rubbish salary.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:44 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Well duh. They think it will be "better" whatever that means. There are probably as many reasons as there are people.

Why do Brits emigrate to France, Australia, New Zealand, Canada etc etc etc.

Why does hardly anyone emigrate to Finland?

Why do you assume that the high skilled immigrants in NZ will come from China and Vietnam. I'm a high skilled immigrant and I came from the UK.

Last time I checked, the largest number of skilled immigrants were coming from the UK and from India.

Is it only me that is getting tired of this bloody Australia issue being peddled again and again and again???

Australia is a cool place to live with loads of benefits. We get it. Why people have to keep banging on about it is beyond me.

JTP
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Why not have a read of what real Kiwis are saying in the media, rather than pose this question to a load mostly expat Poms:

No matter how lovely NZ looks if you cant afford the basics and are living from pay to pay something has to change, Moving to Oz from what I have worked out will mean we wont have to struggle.
"NZ - where we are forced to pay global prices for our products - but cannot earn global incomes. As a social experiment, NZ is a failure, if not a disaster."
New Zealand is nothing more than an agricultural economy with a splash of film production and a few specks of innovation. No major companies really want to touch New Zealand with a ten foot barge pole.
While I would love to stay in New Zealand for the lifestyle and accessibility to nature, there is no way I intend to work the rest of my life and end up with nothing to show for it.

I reckon a few years over there to save a deposit then I can return here and be able to buy a house and live a good (modest) life.

Unfortunately, this country doesn't deserve to expect any better. With poor wages and high cost of living, and a huge welfare overhead, there isn't going to be an improvement any time soon.

Anyone with half a brain, work ethic and a desire for something better in life will seriously consider moving, who can blame them?
Many hundred more of the same where they came from:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10703340
Old Mar 13th 2011, 4:48 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Why not have a read of what real Kiwis are saying in the media, rather than pose this question to a load mostly expat Poms

Why don't you all just pop over to the Oz forum and bask in each others reflected glory.

NZ is NOT a shit place to live no matter how many negative quotes you spam out.

Remind us again Bo-Jangles - whats your personal particular beef with NZ again? You avoid no opportunity to run it down.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

For heavens's sake, the question isn't about me or you or why we like or don't like NZ. The question is about why so many Kiwis continue to depart these shores. Anyone considering moving to NZ would do well to consider and ponder this fact for a while.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 5:36 am
Near the outer fringe

For heavens's sake, the question isn't about me or you or why we like or don't like NZ. The question is about why so many Kiwis continue to depart these shores. Anyone considering moving to NZ would do well to consider and ponder this fact for a while.
No, but understanding the agenda behind people's posts helps to evaluate their answers.

If you've posted a hundred anti-NZ posts in a row then I'm not going to pay much attention to the reliability of your self-selected quotes. In fact I think it would be enlightening to know why you are so biased.

I don't agree with your point anyway. Kiwis leaving NZ and British Ex-Pats emigrating to NZ have a different perspective on things and a totally different set of needs and aspirations.

I'm also curious why someone in Finland who has been on this forum for a long time is asking a question that has been asked in many different ways again and again. I don't think it's for enlightenment.

THR - try searching the forum you will find hours of jolly banter between Ex-Pats defending their choice of emigration to NZ against people trying to convince them that they should have gone to Australia instead. Or go and discuss it on a Kiwi forum because you're asking the wrong people.

This stuff is so patronising. Most of us have spent many months or years considering the life changing decisions involved in emigration. There probably isn't a single ex-pat that has emigrated to NZ who hasn't already considered Australia.

Can't you just put something in your tag-line like "hey newbies don't forget to check out Australia, it's big and cool and you might prefer it like I do"
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Why not have a read of what real Kiwis are saying in the media, rather than pose this question to a load mostly expat Poms:

Very interesting Bo Jangles. I'm a Kiwi and you never seem to agree with anything I post about my experience.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:48 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JohnThePom
No, but understanding the agenda behind people's posts helps to evaluate their answers.

If you've posted a hundred anti-NZ posts in a row then I'm not going to pay much attention to the reliability of your self-selected quotes. In fact I think it would be enlightening to know why you are so biased.

I don't agree with your point anyway. Kiwis leaving NZ and British Ex-Pats emigrating to NZ have a different perspective on things and a totally different set of needs and aspirations.

I'm also curious why someone in Finland who has been on this forum for a long time is asking a question that has been asked in many different ways again and again. I don't think it's for enlightenment.

THR - try searching the forum you will find hours of jolly banter between Ex-Pats defending their choice of emigration to NZ against people trying to convince them that they should have gone to Australia instead. Or go and discuss it on a Kiwi forum because you're asking the wrong people.

This stuff is so patronising. Most of us have spent many months or years considering the life changing decisions involved in emigration. There probably isn't a single ex-pat that has emigrated to NZ who hasn't already considered Australia.

Can't you just put something in your tag-line like "hey newbies don't forget to check out Australia, it's big and cool and you might prefer it like I do"
I agree with most of what you post above and also find it faintly irritating that we are constantly debating the old OZ VS NZ argument, yawn ... It's been done to death and the two countries offer very different things and appeal to different people. I never considered OZ and love NZ, but that's just me.

The reality of a forum such as ours is that we encourage open debate and a sharing of personal experiences. THR, I am not sure how your thread bears any relevance to a forum where people are looking to move to New Zealand or are already in New Zealand?
Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I agree with most of what you post above and also find it faintly irritating that we are constantly debating the old OZ VS NZ argument, yawn ... It's been done to death and the two countries offer very different things and appeal to different people. I never considered OZ and love NZ, but that's just me.

The reality of a forum such as ours is that we encourage open debate and a sharing of personal experiences. THR, I am not sure how your thread bears any relevance to a forum where people are looking to move to New Zealand or are already in New Zealand?
Why are so many people getting beaten up on here just for asking a question?
THR is just asking why NZ'ers move to Australia. That seems like a relevant question for the NZ forum to to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.