Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why is everyone moaning!

Why is everyone moaning!

Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why is everyone moaning!

Originally Posted by SarahB
I dont think theres much moaning on here at all... specially lately. People who dare say anything negative about the country get jumped on pretty quickly which isnt ok... people should be able to type what they want.... good or bad.... they are trying to help everyone out by saying what they did wrong... how they find things here.... what they would do different.... and sometimes we get the odd person who really doesnt like it here..... good on em for giving it a go anyway. Us lot who are here already try to tell the "yet to move" group what they are likely to find here.... how wages compare to UK etc. We try to help them out so they dont make the same mistakes we did.... I hope it doesnt come across as moaning... theres always gonna be some bits that you dont like about every country... Even though I love it here I can name some things I dont like... or dont understand.... or even find funny ..... about NZ but when I dared post about it I got slated so I got the mod to delete the thread to save me hassle.
Oh that's not good, I didn't realise it could be like that. I have plenty of health issues in my family which are a constant worry so I find that apart from that I am incredibly happy and content with where I live. But I think I would have been had I stayed in UK, it being the only place I had lived and had nothing to compare it to.

It makes me laugh a bit when people come here expecting it to be a crime free paradise where you dont have to work hard or live in some less desirable houses until you find the one you want. I wouldn't have a go at someone who isn't happy here though, like you said, it isn't for everyone and at least they had a go. No shame in that.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
Oh that's not good, I didn't realise it could be like that. I have plenty of health issues in my family which are a constant worry so I find that apart from that I am incredibly happy and content with where I live. But I think I would have been had I stayed in UK, it being the only place I had lived and had nothing to compare it to.

It makes me laugh a bit when people come here expecting it to be a crime free paradise where you dont have to work hard or live in some less desirable houses until you find the one you want. I wouldn't have a go at someone who isn't happy here though, like you said, it isn't for everyone and at least they had a go. No shame in that.
We are happy here too.... or we wouldnt be buying a house. We are lucky that we found Beachlands.... its just what we like. I'm always interested to see how people find this place.... I'm just nosey I guess. Maybe in my old age Ive got more tolerant too.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 5:43 am
Just Joined

sighthoundcrazy will become famous soon enoughsighthoundcrazy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SarahB
I dont think theres much moaning on here at all... specially lately. People who dare say anything negative about the country get jumped on pretty quickly which isnt ok... people should be able to type what they want.... good or bad.... they are trying to help everyone out by saying what they did wrong... how they find things here.... what they would do different.... and sometimes we get the odd person who really doesnt like it here..... good on em for giving it a go anyway. Us lot who are here already try to tell the "yet to move" group what they are likely to find here.... how wages compare to UK etc. We try to help them out so they dont make the same mistakes we did.... I hope it doesnt come across as moaning... theres always gonna be some bits that you dont like about every country... Even though I love it here I can name some things I dont like... or dont understand.... or even find funny ..... about NZ but when I dared post about it I got slated so I got the mod to delete the thread to save me hassle.
Hi
I can't believe people hassled you about saying bad things about NZ. We are happy here but it's not perfect! Its not moaning its just pointing out differences that may not all be good. I wish someone had told me more before I left. It helps to know things about here that don't happen in UK like diesel k's and the give way when turning left thing!
The best bit of advice Itjink is stop conveting back to £ as soon as you land unless you are very rich!
Freedom of speach is available in NZ, just ask Winston Peters!
Old Aug 8th 2006, 7:04 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

We are in Christchurch too and have been here for eight months. I think after four weeks you are still in that excited holiday mood which we were for quite a few weeks after we arrived.

It will be interesting for you to post again after six months and give your opinion on how things are going and how you are feeling? We went through a phase of feeling quite homesick about the four month stage and came out of it again after a couple of weeks. Nz is not perfect, there are things that annoy you but its not the Uk and you cant expect it to be.

We are enjoying it here and dont want to go back to the Uk but for some it is too much of a change to the way they lived their life before and they just wont settle, doesn't mean Nz is a bad place but it doesn't suit everyone.

Best of luck to you anyway and welcome to Nz, just wait for the summer here, its fantastic - your kids will love it. My two little ones are 8 and 10 and they have much more freedom here than they ever did back in the Uk, especially where the schools are concerned they do sport, trips and days out to play tournaments in Hagley Park like soccer, rugby, hockey and netball.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rich & Mitz]
It's great to see all the positives coming from this post, thats why I posted it really.

Yes it is great to see some new positive posters on here. I got so fed up of getting jumped on for defending NZ that I stopped posting!
Karma sent for you!
KAZ
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

brackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud of

so good to hear you have settled in so well and so quickly. cant wait to get to wellington now, the 20th sept.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kaz Hen]
Originally Posted by Rich & Mitz
It's great to see all the positives coming from this post, thats why I posted it really.

Yes it is great to see some new positive posters on here. I got so fed up of getting jumped on for defending NZ that I stopped posting!
Karma sent for you!
KAZ

good to see you putting in an appearance , wondered where you were
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich & Mitz
Hi forum!

We have been in Christchurch for 4 weeks now and we are absolutely loving it!!!!!

We thought it would be daunting and very backward after reading the threads on this forum but nothing could be further from the truth!

You can get everything and more over here and we miss nothing from the UK......oh yes and you can get a pint of milk in the middle of the night.....anyone heard of Countdown - thats one of the 'Tescos' of New Zealand.....yes they have got them!.................and guess what............Tescos closes at 4.00 pm on a Friday, Countdown is open 24/7 yes! 24/7.

You can get everything over here and it is not backward at all. They are really nice people the kiwis and the schools are fantastic..........bullying...............whats that! My kids are 9 and 10 and you would have to drag them back screaming to the UK!

Well I could go on all night.............this is a much better country and yes I know interest rates are higher but things ARE generally cheaper over here, so don't let others tell you they are not!

Petrol is climbing but I can fill my new 4X4 3.5litre V6 full for £30 and thats a bargain in my view!

C'mon, less of the moaning......and did you know that 98% of brits that emigrate never return! No, the 2% that moan seem to be on here, including me!!!!!!!

Anyway, you come to this place for a change (and even a winters day is mild while I'm thinking about it!) and thats what you get, if you miss Britain that much to feel homesick then why move away in the first place?

I came here for a change and I landed with my eyes wide open and embraced this life and I can assure you that it is much better than that in the UK!!!!!!

Cheers all

Rich & Mitz X
we've been here 4 mths, & still love it, had a few hiccups but thats life.
Used to go to tesco at 6am on a saturday morning in UK just to get time to do the shopping, now why would i miss that!
Glad you're enjoying you're new life
Old Aug 8th 2006, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

There are bad things about NZ, the cold expensive houses, rubbish TV, low SALARIES !!!!!!!!! But at the end of the day , the number of returnees is very low which says a lot ! I think i would prefer to know about the downside as well as the upside "Lifestyle" attractions portayed by the NZIS brochures. I hope that you keep us posted about any change of mood, apple !
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:02 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

i get little hacked off, though when its implied that when some of us only have good things to say, that we're fibbing or 'not telling it like it is'. ( or is this old history now?)

I dont live in a cold expensive house - so why would I moan about it? I dont watch much tv so why would it bother me of its good or bad, and neither are we on what we think is a low salary (brussels-sprout I'm not picking on you! Honest - yours was the last post thats why Im using your examples cos Im too lazy to look further back!) Neither could I care less if I cant get certain foodstuffs here - I live in NZ so I buy whats here. My husband is treated spectacularly well by the people he works for and I could go on and on - I think we're lucky that it has worked out so well, but regardelss of all that we just get on with things and are generally happy people.
What some see as a more negative thing some will see as a positive.

The reason I dont moan is because I HAVE NOTHING TO MOAN ABOUT. We are happy and healthy, anything else should be a bonus.

On the otherside of the coin, I dont actually think anyone is really moaning, moaning - they're just saying how they feel too. There are always 2 sides to anything ( or 22 sides!)
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
i get little hacked off, though when its implied that when some of us only have good things to say, that we're fibbing or 'not telling it like it is'. ( or is this old history now?)

I dont live in a cold expensive house - so why would I moan about it? I dont watch much tv so why would it bother me of its good or bad, and neither are we on what we think is a low salary (brussels-sprout I'm not picking on you! Honest - yours was the last post thats why Im using your examples cos Im too lazy to look further back!) Neither could I care less if I cant get certain foodstuffs here - I live in NZ so I buy whats here. My husband is treated spectacularly well by the people he works for and I could go on and on - I think we're lucky that it has worked out so well, but regardelss of all that we just get on with things and are generally happy people.
What some see as a more negative thing some will see as a positive.

The reason I dont moan is because I HAVE NOTHING TO MOAN ABOUT. We are happy and healthy, anything else should be a bonus.

On the otherside of the coin, I dont actually think anyone is really moaning, moaning - they're just saying how they feel too. There are always 2 sides to anything ( or 22 sides!)
GO girl well said : spread the dust
JANE