Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why is everyone moaning!

Why is everyone moaning!

Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

trigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nice
Default Re: Why is everyone moaning!

Yeh we have a split approach, Amy asks the important stuf and I just enquire about sports, fun stuff etc etc.

So you are on the first step good news! We are trying for jobs to help the process, where are you aiming to settle?
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

daviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to all

My job offer is in the Bay of Plenty (North Island), in Tauranga right by the beach - can't wait to get over there now and the adventure to start properly.

Any ideas where you want to be? or not at all fussed and anywhere you can get a job?
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

trigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nice

Originally Posted by daviesl
My job offer is in the Bay of Plenty (North Island), in Tauranga right by the beach - can't wait to get over there now and the adventure to start properly.

Any ideas where you want to be? or not at all fussed and anywhere you can get a job?

Our careers need us to aim for Auckland but are willing to go where work is, we are both designers at a high level so in theory we should have a reasonable chance to find work...we have had a few emails requesting examples of work so a solid start...essentially we are gonna bully them into offering us jobs!

What do you do?
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

daviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to alldaviesl is a name known to all

arrrhhh I work for the NHS so felt it was a good time to go with all the restructuring and possible redundacies - go before I have to. Jobs are few and far between over here in my field as we all have vacancy freezes on at the moment to try and minimise our debts. My other half is self employed over here and will try to get work once we are over there, and he has been flat hunting for us etc.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds like a good move for you guys... we both have good jobs, house etc but we need a new challenge and a fresher outlook on life... based on the attitude of people on here and kiwis we have had communication with it seems so much a better pace of life! Its just the waiting for approval etc etc that I think I will find frustrating but as long as it comes i can wait.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck - i'll keep my fingers crossed for you - keep me posted - may even meet up for a drink sometime . We are starting to bore everyone with NZ this and NZ that....
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by daviesl
Good luck - i'll keep my fingers crossed for you - keep me posted - may even meet up for a drink sometime . We are starting to bore everyone with NZ this and NZ that....

It'll never bore anyone on here!!!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to the lot of you-keep us posted on any developments n stuff.
Agree with the above-I only moan cos I'm still in Blighty-cannot wait to sort it and ship it!! Good luck peeps-the more the merrier.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by danny.f
Good luck to the lot of you-keep us posted on any developments n stuff.
Agree with the above-I only moan cos I'm still in Blighty-cannot wait to sort it and ship it!! Good luck peeps-the more the merrier.

Did anyone else notice on the EOI that you lose points for owning a Burburry baseball cap? And in fact you are not allowed to emigrate under and cirumstances? Unless it's to Benidorm?
Old Aug 7th 2006, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trigod
Did anyone else notice on the EOI that you lose points for owning a Burburry baseball cap? And in fact you are not allowed to emigrate under and cirumstances? Unless it's to Benidorm?
We havent got anything Burberry in the hoose!! Hooray-more reasons to let us in!! Benidorm is crap-official.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Rich & Mitz is on a distinguished road

Hi all!

It's great to see all the positives coming from this post, thats why I posted it really.

This is a great country and any one in the Uk who is having second thoughts JUST COME!

You've got nothing to lose anyway.....you only live once! Most kiwis I work with have worked overseas and most grads normally do their OE's in the UK.

All the Kiwis I spoke to all wanted to return home eventually and that must say something.

I was speaking to a guy on the plane who worked in Malaysia for a year and he went back to the UK to see his mates for a couple of weeks. He said nothing had changed, they still all moaned about everything and he could'nt wait to get back on the plane.

We all move for a change and as long as you embrace that and accept some things will be better and maybe some not so better, but generally in my opinion, everything is great here.

If people want to come to NZ and have the UK, they should stop and think 'should I leave the UK if I like all the things I have here?'. This is fundamental and at the end of the day you can always go back (dread the thought!).

Good luck to you all, you've got nothing to lose!

Rich
Old Aug 8th 2006, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Do you get loads of moaning on this part of the board? I see it mostly in the moving back bit but that's understandable I guess!
We also love it here and I would find it hard to find anything to moan about regarding the country, people, climate, but not everyone has it as good.
There are things I miss about England, of course there are, but nothing would drag me away from here
Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:31 am
Just Joined

sighthoundcrazy will become famous soon enoughsighthoundcrazy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rich & Mitz
Hi forum!

We have been in Christchurch for 4 weeks now and we are absolutely loving it!!!!!

We thought it would be daunting and very backward after reading the threads on this forum but nothing could be further from the truth!

You can get everything and more over here and we miss nothing from the UK......oh yes and you can get a pint of milk in the middle of the night.....anyone heard of Countdown - thats one of the 'Tescos' of New Zealand.....yes they have got them!.................and guess what............Tescos closes at 4.00 pm on a Friday, Countdown is open 24/7 yes! 24/7.

You can get everything over here and it is not backward at all. They are really nice people the kiwis and the schools are fantastic..........bullying...............whats that! My kids are 9 and 10 and you would have to drag them back screaming to the UK!

Well I could go on all night.............this is a much better country and yes I know interest rates are higher but things ARE generally cheaper over here, so don't let others tell you they are not!

Petrol is climbing but I can fill my new 4X4 3.5litre V6 full for £30 and thats a bargain in my view!

C'mon, less of the moaning......and did you know that 98% of brits that emigrate never return! No, the 2% that moan seem to be on here, including me!!!!!!!

Anyway, you come to this place for a change (and even a winters day is mild while I'm thinking about it!) and thats what you get, if you miss Britain that much to feel homesick then why move away in the first place?

I came here for a change and I landed with my eyes wide open and embraced this life and I can assure you that it is much better than that in the UK!!!!!!

Cheers all

Rich & Mitz X
Hi
We have been in small town rural South Canterbury for almost a year and we can't get milk at midnight. We don't want it either! Whilst we would never go back and we love it, there are still similar problems here as in UK. There is bullying in schools as kids will be kids. Teenagers still have the same problems as in Alchol, hanging around street corners and there is a bigger cannabis problem here than UK.Things are more expensive here in relation to wages than UK. I haven't met anyone who thinks its cheap to live in NZ!
BUT, people are much nicer , the pace of life is much slower and its a much safer enviroment to bring up a family. We have all settled here and don't even want to go to the UK to visit!
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
Do you get loads of moaning on this part of the board? I see it mostly in the moving back bit but that's understandable I guess!
We also love it here and I would find it hard to find anything to moan about regarding the country, people, climate, but not everyone has it as good.
There are things I miss about England, of course there are, but nothing would drag me away from here
I dont think theres much moaning on here at all... specially lately. People who dare say anything negative about the country get jumped on pretty quickly which isnt ok... people should be able to type what they want.... good or bad.... they are trying to help everyone out by saying what they did wrong... how they find things here.... what they would do different.... and sometimes we get the odd person who really doesnt like it here..... good on em for giving it a go anyway. Us lot who are here already try to tell the "yet to move" group what they are likely to find here.... how wages compare to UK etc. We try to help them out so they dont make the same mistakes we did.... I hope it doesnt come across as moaning... theres always gonna be some bits that you dont like about every country... Even though I love it here I can name some things I dont like... or dont understand.... or even find funny ..... about NZ but when I dared post about it I got slated so I got the mod to delete the thread to save me hassle.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sighthoundcrazy
Hi
We have been in small town rural South Canterbury for almost a year and we can't get milk at midnight. We don't want it either! Whilst we would never go back and we love it, there are still similar problems here as in UK. There is bullying in schools as kids will be kids. Teenagers still have the same problems as in Alchol, hanging around street corners and there is a bigger cannabis problem here than UK.Things are more expensive here in relation to wages than UK. I haven't met anyone who thinks its cheap to live in NZ!
BUT, people are much nicer , the pace of life is much slower and its a much safer enviroment to bring up a family. We have all settled here and don't even want to go to the UK to visit!
I used to live one mile away from the largest Tescos ever built... it was open 24 hours a day....apart from sunday nights. Here even the takeaways shut really early as do the petrol stations. You just get used to it. We had the most fantastic neighbours back in UK.... here in one year not one neighbour made the effort to speak to me.... I had to make all the moves.... depends where you live.... almost like pot luck.

Surely everything depends on who you are.... where you lived in UK.... where you live in NZ... what you like about a place... what you dont like..... whats important to you in your life..... everyone is so different we all like different things. All of my British friends here love it here..... yet one lady came to PlayGroup and she totally hated it here.... she hated Auckland, she hated Beachlands..... she particularly hated the weather here. She was going to give Chch a go and then move back to UK if it didnt suit her.... just proves we are all not the same... good job too... how boring would that be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.