Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why do you love a cat?

Why do you love a cat?

Old Sep 25th 2008, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why do you love a cat?

why?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you love a cat?

I rescue cats, have had as many as twenty at a time of all ages. Am down to six now and trying very hard not to get any more because of going to NZ. I love cats because they're good company for me, they comfort me when I'm down and give me great pleasure with their antics. Having said that, I love all animals and have had a variety; have two dogs at the mo also. Do you have difficulty with cats? I have an aunt who won't visit me because of trauma experienced as a child which has made her phobic of them.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IngStina
I love cats because they're good company for me, they comfort me when I'm down and give me great pleasure with their antics. Having said that, I love all animals and have had a variety; have two dogs at the mo also. Do you have difficulty with cats? I have an aunt who won't visit me because of trauma experienced as a child which has made her phobic of them.
I don't find it's very exciting being around cats.... they are quiet, aren't they?.... Cats like to do things their way ....... some cats that they choose a specific person who they give all their attention to and allow them to give it back. ...(when I'm down and lonely ... a cat doesn't give me an attention.. ..or talk to me.... so I am bored... kind of

anyway I don't think cats love me ... maybe I am not attractive enough ? for them......... (I find a lot of people do love cats very much here.....loads of thread regarding cats matter )

btw I love a billy goat .......

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 25th 2008 at 4:42 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

Quiet depends on the cat. Two of my tommies were flying high and low last night, not quiet at all! Three of my cats, same family, are very vocal. One I hand raised because mother abandoned her and is very clingy. One cat doesn't like to be held at all. Just like us, they have different personalities. If you want a cat to cuddle with and keep you company, get a kitten who will grow up knowing your personality and I'm sure you'll suit each other well. Chose one that comes to right off, it already knows you're the pet for it.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 4:59 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
why?
I never used to be a cat person. As a kid we always had dogs. My mum and dad weren't cat people. I didn't really think about cats at all, other than they were creatures I used to see wandering the streets. In England where I am from people let their cats roam free.
Anyway, when I came to America we found a cat and took it in. Ever since then I have been a huge cat lover. They have such personality. We have had up to 16 at one time, which was way too many.
Every cat we have or have had has a different personality. They are funny, loving, intelligent, and they like things on their terms, which I like. They are also independent to a degree and can be just like people in the way they respond to others.
We have had grumpy cats. A cat that thinks he's a dog. A cat scared of his own shadow. Several lap cats. Some that you don't see other than at food time. Cats that are aggressive, cats that are just big people cats and love adore people and being around them. There is nothing like having a cat sitting on your lap and purring it's head of. There is nothing funnier than watching a cat chasing a laser light or rolling around after having some cat nip, which my husband calls kitty cat crack.
I just love cats just any way they come. I do have a preference for persians though. They 'talk' to you a lot. And unless you have had a cat who's a talker you will probably think that's insane, but they do!
And cats are a lot less work than a dog too.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

We had never been pet people (other than fish) but we got mice/rats this year in the roof space so we adopted a rescue cat, she is now part of the family and we love her to pieces. Except when she runs around the house in the middle of the night and that damn bell jingles lol She's not even chasing anything, just running around... You don't have to walk a cat neither, or clean up it's mess etc. much easier!
Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

We have 2 "outdoor" cats, from the local SPCA. A big black and white tom that we only see at meal times, and can dissapear for days at a time and a champagne tri-coloured queen, who just circles the outside of our house all day. She sleeps by the front door and is so vocal !!! As soon as she is near you she talks and talks and talks. She makes a "squeaking" noise when you pick her up and has a really loud purr........ who could not love a cat?

We did have an "incident" with our tom, when a neighbour called to say he had tried to eat one of their pet guinea pigs that lived in their garden. They asked if we could put bells on our cats, so that the guinea pigs could hear them coming !!! For weeks it was like have Rudolph and his sleighbells running around the garden.

Gill
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
For weeks it was like have Rudolph and his sleighbells running around the garden.
Now imagine that at 3am but in and out of your bedroom
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:07 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I love having a cat, my cat Gordon is an indoor cat and relies on us to understand his every need. He is very 'talkative' and has different vocal ranges for different needs - any cat owner can vouch for this.

His call first thing in the morning is an affectionate 'ive missed you' kind of call, when I get home from work he is screaching his head off for his dinner and when he is naughty, his pupils dilate and he 'chirrups' as he runs around the house.

Could any cat owners tell me why when a cat has taken a shit in its litter tray, why they run around the house like a mad thing? Gordon does this and crashes in to windows and all sorts

He also carries his toys in his mouth, drops them at our feet and waits for us to throw them.

We are getting a dog soon and I can't wait, Gordon used to interact well with my old whippet and they would play for hours.

Because it takes such work to win a cat over, let alone getting it to talk/communicate with you, it makes the love you get from one all the more rewarding.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

I tried bells on my cats but it took them only a week to figure out how not to jingle. Fun to watch them figure it out.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Now how cute are these two?

Gill
Attached Thumbnails Why do you love a cat?-dsc01843.jpg   Why do you love a cat?-dsc01869.jpg  
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

why?
I asked myself the very same question at 3 am this morning :curse: My youngest, Poppy, who is around 2 yrs old is adorable but its as if she has a built in timer that tells her to wake in the early hours of the morning and wake everyone else

Cleo is totally different and is as good as gold, except when she scratches the carpet

However its such fun watching them play and they are both so different in their personalities but both very affectionate. Butter wouldn't melt so to speak

Apart from that I love them to bits
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I have two mental outdoor monsters and I always feel like its such a privelege that they deem me worthy enough to sit upon from time to time.

I love that they are not needy and just require feeding twice a day.
I love that they decide when they require attention on their terms only.
I love to watch them hunting and stalking dead leaves or anything else that moves.
I still coo watching them wash their faces and groom each other, even if I have seen them do it a million times before
They do communicate to you and tell you what they want, with their little chirrups, purrs, wails and wagging tails
I love that they are clean and don't pee and poop in the house.
They keep your lap warm when it's cold

Neither of mine will be picked up, but they always greet me when I come home and we have a play, a bit of roughing up and belly rubs.

I get immense pleasure and warm fuzzies from them, they make me laugh everyday. I would not be without them.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I don't find it's very exciting being around cats.... they are quiet, aren't they?.... Cats like to do things their way ....... some cats that they choose a specific person who they give all their attention to and allow them to give it back. ...(when I'm down and lonely ... a cat doesn't give me an attention.. ..or talk to me.... so I am bored... kind of

anyway I don't think cats love me ... maybe I am not attractive enough ? for them......... (I find a lot of people do love cats very much here.....loads of thread regarding cats matter )

btw I love a billy goat .......
Get a Siamese or Burmese they will talk to you all the time and just love people.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:58 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

why?
what a pointless thread....I much prefer toy boys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.