British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Why do we want to move to NZ ???!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/why-do-we-want-move-nz-404140/)

UKNZAUS Oct 25th 2006 8:32 am

Why do we want to move to NZ ???!!!

Oh lordy! We have been emailing EVERYONE in NZ begging for jobs - we've heard nothing until this morning! :scared:

We receieved an email this morning from a recruitment agency (newjobz.nz) just to say thanks for the CV and it looks very likely that they could find us employment BUT he first needs us to email him to explain why we want to move to NZ in the first place! :confused:

OMG - he's from the UK so he knows all about everything here! Soooo, do we tell him its because of the way society is, that we don't want to bring our children up as gangsters etc, having no job prospects etc etc etc - generally all the bad things about UK ?? I know what we're going to tell him about NZ, we've been practising those lines for a while now :D so we're going to be doing some serious butt kissing ... :p

What would you do ??? I'm really panicking now cause I started to get disheartened with it all after hearing nothing for weeks and weeks!

Thanks in advance for any help xx

Michelle & Carl

karonious Oct 25th 2006 8:48 am

Re: Why do we want to move to NZ ???!!!

I got caught out in my first interview
'why do you want to work in the acute mental health setting, why this locality, why NZ?'
Didn't actually WANT to work in acute but it was the first interview that came along, same with that particular area. So I floundered like hell and really stuffed the interview.
In my opinion, they want to hear positive comments not anything negative, so as you mentioned, do the enthusiastic, keen, 'brave new world' bit rather than run down the UK - you can do that once you are here! I'm sure you will have done your homework, be postive!!
One final thought, I remember my interview for my last job in York, telling someone how I could hear myself waffling. He said 'waffling is good, it's when you can't think on anything to say at all - that's bad' Be brave, have some karma!
Karen B

urbanproject Oct 25th 2006 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Oh lordy! We have been emailing EVERYONE in NZ begging for jobs - we've heard nothing until this morning! :scared:

We receieved an email this morning from a recruitment agency (newjobz.nz) just to say thanks for the CV and it looks very likely that they could find us employment BUT he first needs us to email him to explain why we want to move to NZ in the first place! :confused:

OMG - he's from the UK so he knows all about everything here! Soooo, do we tell him its because of the way society is, that we don't want to bring our children up as gangsters etc, having no job prospects etc etc etc - generally all the bad things about UK ?? I know what we're going to tell him about NZ, we've been practising those lines for a while now :D so we're going to be doing some serious butt kissing ... :p

What would you do ??? I'm really panicking now cause I started to get disheartened with it all after hearing nothing for weeks and weeks!

Michelle & Carl

Hiya Michelle & Carl,

I've never dealt with newjobz but if you do a bit of research on this forum, you'll see some various opinions on it and testimonials of people who have used them or not. I found this one, which dates a bit back but there should be more if you do a proper search, something should come up:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=newjobz

All the best,

Jen :)

UKNZAUS Oct 25th 2006 9:26 am

Thanks for the advice Karen, made a mental note to tell him to waffle lol

UKNZAUS Oct 25th 2006 9:29 am

Thanks for the warning Jen! I had a look at their site this morning and noticed the $$$$ in their eyes but the email mentioned nothing about signing up lol so I was going to play dumb and try sell my hubby's job without having to pay ... wouldn't have worked but at least I'd have tried lol

Got the list of agencies though, great stuff. Will steer clear of them now though, certainly not paying for someone to find a job !!! They're out there, its just finding 'the' one!

thanks again

Michelle & Carl

urbanproject Oct 25th 2006 10:01 am

Thanks for the warning Jen! I had a look at their site this morning and noticed the $$$$ in their eyes but the email mentioned nothing about signing up lol so I was going to play dumb and try sell my hubby's job without having to pay ... wouldn't have worked but at least I'd have tried lol

Got the list of agencies though, great stuff. Will steer clear of them now though, certainly not paying for someone to find a job !!! They're out there, its just finding 'the' one!

thanks again

Michelle & Carl

No worries, I know it can be frustrating trying to find THE job :eek: Fingers crossed you'll find a job offer, if you can, why not consider going over on a fact finding holiday? I know of a few people who have done that and were able to get job offers as agencies were keen on meeting them once they were in NZ ;)

Good luck with everything :)

P2L Oct 25th 2006 11:22 am

Michelle & Carl

Hiya

You don't say what line of work your hubby's in. My Oh is flying out next Thursday for interviews lined up by an agency, BBT, who we use over here so we know they're kosher.

Usually the client pays a finders fee to the agency and I would definitely steer clear of an agency looking for you to pay them. Plenty of good ones out there.

UKNZAUS Oct 25th 2006 11:38 am

Hiya

thanks for that, I'll Google BBT and see what we get! He's a Product/Project Manager in IT - but he is willing to take ANYTHING in the IT sector lol

Michelle & Carl

Stephen Jones Oct 25th 2006 11:59 am

Hiya

thanks for that, I'll Google BBT and see what we get! He's a Product/Project Manager in IT - but he is willing to take ANYTHING in the IT sector lol

Michelle & Carl

Try this agency too: http://www.dewinter.co.nz

Steve

P2L Oct 25th 2006 12:08 pm

Hiya

Michelle & Carl

A few other you could try, if you haven't already are;

www.beca.com

www.debbiegraham.co.nz

www.cheal.co.nz

They were all at the Expo in London

sarahw Oct 25th 2006 6:11 pm

For IT project manager roles you could also try http://www.agilitygroup.co.nz/ who seemed pretty useful when my OH got a job through them.

cottageinthesky Oct 25th 2006 6:48 pm

Hiya

Michelle & Carl

You could also try www.absoluteit.co.nz who are in Wellington.

Budowsky Oct 25th 2006 8:45 pm

Michelle & Carl

tell the snotty prick to fck off. Come to NZ and then get a job!

newkiwi Oct 25th 2006 8:56 pm

thanks again

Michelle & Carl

Seek.co.nz is a good site. you will find that 90% of employers and agents want to meet you face to face, so dont get disheartened if you come up against that.

my advice would be to never never pay for a "recruitment consultant" to find you a job or anything like that, most likely you will never see the money again and only end up being milked for more.

do you have a date for your arrival in nz yet? If you do you can state that in yourt application, and line up a number of meetings immidiately after you arrive.

poppets Oct 26th 2006 9:47 am

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
You could also try www.absoluteit.co.nz who are in Wellington.

or http://www.candle.co.nz/content/pagec.asp?ID=2001
they found my hubby a job, really helpful & sent him a yummy chocolate cake on his first day :)