Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why do we hardly hear of any negatives on Australia but plenty on life in NZ?

Why do we hardly hear of any negatives on Australia but plenty on life in NZ?

Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do we hardly hear of any negatives on Australia but plenty on life in NZ?

Originally Posted by southerner
Yeah - but Perth??

I've heard a lot of the jobs there are based 2-3 hours flying time out in the desert and are 4 days on 4 off type arrangements. They pay so much because the work conditions are difficult, and they need to pay lots to attract workers. They can also afford it, the "lucky country" is in the current resource boom even luckier than normal.
These are design engineering jobs based in central Perth paying AUD65-100/hour+ plus retention bonus of 5-15%. AUD65/hour is the minimum rate in mining and O&G now. This gives an annual salary, based on a 45 hour, 46 week year of AUD140-210k. Guys on the project that I am working on who are heading up North are going to be getting another 20% on top of this as well. I work in this industry so I know what I'm talking about. There is so much work here in this field it's not funny and this situation shows no sign of ending. My boss and 3 of my colleagues in a team of about 20 are Kiwis.

This is reality. In the end, rightly or wrongly, economics always comes out on top.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:22 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why do we hardly hear of any negatives on Australia but plenty on life in NZ?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
These are design engineering jobs based in central Perth paying AUD65-100/hour+ plus retention bonus of 5-15%. AUD65/hour is the minimum rate in mining and O&G now. This gives an annual salary, based on a 45 hour, 46 week year of AUD140-210k. Guys on the project that I am working on who are heading up North are going to be getting another 20% on top of this as well. I work in this industry so I know what I'm talking about. There is so much work here in this field it's not funny and this situation shows no sign of ending. My boss and 3 of my colleagues in a team of about 20 are Kiwis.

This is reality. In the end, rightly or wrongly, economics always comes out on top.
Where you from originally mate ?
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campbells
Where you from originally mate ?
I was born in Zambia, but grew up mainly in Benoni, South Africa with some time in the UK as well. Yourself?
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:28 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

I was born in Zambia, but grew up mainly in Benoni, South Africa with some time in the UK as well. Yourself?
Yebo,

I'm a Scot but spent many years in Jhb. My wife is from Benoni !

How long you been in Oz ?

You ever been back to SA ?

We moved to NZ about two years ago and love it, salaries are really poor though. I got my own gig and do some work in Oz, mainly Sydney & Melbourne.

I like the cosmo vibe in Sydney and the pace. From my short time there we found housing to be cheaper over there but that was mainly in Mbrn.

150 k Oz $ = 170 NZ $ at the current ROE, that is a huge salary for NZ and would be only CEOs of large companies cracking that as a salary.

We have two friends who have moved the whole family over to Oz in the last couple of years. SA is really in a very sad state now and seems to be even getting worse.

Hey maybe you know my wife.

Interesting input you have given. Me thinks you got a few people on this forum maybe looking for a job. I think if it was a 4day on / 4 day off it could even pay to stay in NZ and fly back & forward.

I knew a few people that did that between Jhb & CT in SA.

Good chatting - lekker dag mate
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Yebo,

How long you been in Oz ?

You ever been back to SA ?

We moved to NZ about two years ago and love it, salaries are really poor though. I got my own gig and do some work in Oz, mainly Sydney & Melbourne.

I like the cosmo vibe in Sydney and the pace. From my short time there we found housing to be cheaper over there but that was mainly in Mbrn.

150 k Oz $ = 170 NZ $ at the current ROE, that is a huge salary for NZ and would be only CEOs of large companies cracking that as a salary.

We have two friends who have moved the whole family over to Oz in the last couple of years. SA is really in a very sad state now and seems to be even getting worse.

Hey maybe you know my wife.

Interesting input you have given. Me thinks you got a few people on this forum maybe looking for a job. I think if it was a 4day on / 4 day off it could even pay to stay in NZ and fly back & forward.

I knew a few people that did that between Jhb & CT in SA.

Good chatting - lekker dag mate
Small world eh. Loads of guys FIFO from all over Australia, so why not NZ? Even in Perth, in the team I work in, there are guys who commute from Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and even Tasmania. The salaries in engineering in Perth are fantastic right now. The skills shortage is massive. I lead a design team and have 9 people working for me when ideally I should have 15. I cannot get decent electrical designers for love or money. Anyone who is any good is working and earning top dollar. Hatch (Canadian company) brought in 42 design people from SA on 457 visas. Plenty of sparkies, builders, labourers moving to Perth but hardly any engineering design people. I cannot see the situation getting any better. Loads of massive mining and O&G projects starting up over the next few years and I can't see this changing until 2012 at the earliest.
Been in Oz nearly 18 months but spent 10 years in the UK before here. I left SA in 1993 although I go back often. I doubt that I will ever go back to live there. Life in Perth is awesome. Great standard of living, weather and a top place to raise a family. Are you in NZ for good?

Last edited by Amazulu; Mar 14th 2007 at 6:04 am.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 6:49 am
Banned

Small world eh. Loads of guys FIFO from all over Australia, so why not NZ? Even in Perth, in the team I work in, there are guys who commute from Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and even Tasmania. The salaries in engineering in Perth are fantastic right now. The skills shortage is massive. I lead a design team and have 9 people working for me when ideally I should have 15. I cannot get decent electrical designers for love or money. Anyone who is any good is working and earning top dollar. Hatch (Canadian company) brought in 42 design people from SA on 457 visas. Plenty of sparkies, builders, labourers moving to Perth but hardly any engineering design people. I cannot see the situation getting any better. Loads of massive mining and O&G projects starting up over the next few years and I can't see this changing until 2012 at the earliest.
Been in Oz nearly 18 months but spent 10 years in the UK before here. I left SA in 1993 although I go back often. I doubt that I will ever go back to live there. Life in Perth is awesome. Great standard of living, weather and a top place to raise a family. Are you in NZ for good?
Sent you a PM ...
Old Mar 14th 2007, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

kevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nice

Yebo,

hey bru, i was born in benoni, spent the first few years of my life in Faramere. We were there when it snowed ('82 i think)

glad I moved to durbs tho

zulu, my wifes sister's hubby (eish) has a job with BHP in perth. They are loving it after expat stint in moz, and then brazil. they really love perth and only have good things to say re OZ.

cheers
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kevinhenator
hey bru, i was born in benoni, spent the first few years of my life in Faramere. We were there when it snowed ('82 i think)

glad I moved to durbs tho

zulu, my wifes sister's hubby (eish) has a job with BHP in perth. They are loving it after expat stint in moz, and then brazil. they really love perth and only have good things to say re OZ.

cheers
Dude, (double eish !)

Talk about a small world. I went to SA in 1980 and it snowed in Sept 1981, I remember it well. I thought , gee I just left the UK to come to sunny Africa.

I sent Amazulu a PM as my ex-colleague is an electrical engineer and I know he was looking for better pay etc. Could even look at FIFO as he has a couple of wee nippers. When I read the post yesterday I was thinking of you, that would have been one for the books if I had PMd him your email address !!!

Hey mate, how is your move coming on? You had a look at the NZ Great Pictures thread, some great shots of here in there.

Gotta get to the day ...........

Take care & keep us posted ( excuse the pun)
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

kevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nice

Dude, (double eish !)

Talk about a small world. I went to SA in 1980 and it snowed in Sept 1981, I remember it well. I thought , gee I just left the UK to come to sunny Africa.

I sent Amazulu a PM as my ex-colleague is an electrical engineer and I know he was looking for better pay etc. Could even look at FIFO as he has a couple of wee nippers. When I read the post yesterday I was thinking of you, that would have been one for the books if I had PMd him your email address !!!

Hey mate, how is your move coming on? You had a look at the NZ Great Pictures thread, some great shots of here in there.

Gotta get to the day ...........

Take care & keep us posted ( excuse the pun)
I dont like looking at the pics, makes me too impatient to get out of here (but I look anyway). I know its quite easy to show the tourist magazine type images, but man NZ looks beautiful. cant wait to go hiking with me boys (is that quite big there?)

On that note, is it posible to get some pics of the not so great aspects of NZ? might be interesting for crazy people who are selling up their lives and moving to a new country without jobs to see what the place looks like from a different perspective

btw, feel free to PM anyone my email address - the more people I can get my CV to the better chances...

Have a great day all