Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why do we hardly hear of any negatives on Australia but plenty on life in NZ?

Why do we hardly hear of any negatives on Australia but plenty on life in NZ?

Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:02 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why do we hardly hear of any negatives on Australia but plenty on life in NZ?

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi;4493120] I have read a lot of people writing about feeling 'semi-retired' and there being more to life than the BBQ, Beach & Beer.
QUOTE]

Bring it on I say............

There is more to life than, beer, Eastenders and fish n chips

My wife works in the beauty industry and sun-screen products. She has been told by several international lecturers that New Zealand has the highest sunburn risk. I know that sounds crazy (as we get a lot of cloud here) but it is something to do with the ozone.

Interesting, we were shocked at how cheap houses were in Melbourne and that was in Baumaris, of course that was comparing it to Auckland and bearing in mind that the NZ salaries are mostly pretty poor.

Of course, we have not lived in Oz so not fair to make a comparison between NZ.

I can say though that folk said to me that you are going to love Sydney when I went there on business last year and contrary to my belief - I did. Then again that was just for a week and not actually living there.

Ultimately we are all individuals and it depends on what spins your wheels and at what rate your wheels turn.

Cheers.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:13 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do we hardly hear of any negatives on Australia but plenty on life in NZ?

[QUOTE=Campbells;4494239]
Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
I have read a lot of people writing about feeling 'semi-retired' and there being more to life than the BBQ, Beach & Beer.
QUOTE]

Bring it on I say............

There is more to life than, beer, Eastenders and fish n chips
hey I totally agree with you.

but thought i'd report what i'd heard/read about oz. can't talk from living there experience as i don't have any, although i've liked it on the 3/4 occasions that i've visited.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:33 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
I would be very worried about coke machines falling on me.
I imagine they are very heavy

Aha, potential for a new topic...

Are Coke machines heavier in Oz than NZ ? There is lots more sunshine in Oz, people have more money to spend in Oz, Ozzies are thirstier than NZrs, blah blah blah LOL

I guess this will give some government safety department some reason to do an investigation and bring out new rules and hire more efficient inspectors conrtibuting to the economy !!!

Cheers ..............
Old Mar 8th 2007, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
l live in OZ, new zealand would be too cold for me, l like a warm climate, also the economy in OZ is alot better, more jobs higer wages.

Considering the fact that over 600,000 NZers live in Australia, perhaps
many NZers agree with you!
Maybe Australians do not expend nearly as much energy poking fun
at NZers? Are NZers jealous, the poor dears?!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/46...ectid=10427072
Old Mar 8th 2007, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Weezer

*Pulls out the sofa, gets the popcorn and settles in for another one of those threads*
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:30 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Aussies don't know when to stop with their friggin' kiwi and pom jokes. NZer's will throw one or two jokes at someone but then move on. As a NZer living in OZ, I'm only jealous/envious of those who are able to make a decent living in NZ. I hope soon to return to NZ and give it another go. If it doesn't work for me, then I'll look at the UK. As for staying in OZ for the rest of my natural, I'd rather play with polar bears in the Arctic
Old Mar 9th 2007, 12:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Actually Aussies don't know when to stop with their friggin' kiwi and pom jokes. NZer's will throw one or two jokes at someone but then move on. As a NZer living in OZ, I'm only jealous/envious of those who are able to make a decent living in NZ. I hope soon to return to NZ and give it another go. If it doesn't work for me, then I'll look at the UK. As for staying in OZ for the rest of my natural, I'd rather play with polar bears in the Arctic
Interesting!
You mind if I ask what work you do ?

Re the Ozzies, can't you just play a Jedi mind trick on them ?
Old Mar 9th 2007, 1:01 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't we all just get along!

"These days in Australia, you barely ever hear anyone even mention the fact that the price of lamb in New Zealand has gone up to $2.95 an hour."

Old Mar 9th 2007, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Here's a small consolation, you probably will never have to defend
yourself outside of the Antipodes.

To quote the great British wit, Oscar Wilde:

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
Old Mar 9th 2007, 1:14 am
Banned

Originally Posted by RobClubley

Mighty fine question.

I'm moving to the Fiji section to see if there is an island for sale. Take up coconut farming and surfing. Just as long as there is broad-band !!

Have an awesome weekend everybody. It's friday, in some resect NZ is ahead of the rest of the world !!

Cheers
Old Mar 9th 2007, 2:13 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley

"These days in Australia, you barely ever hear anyone even mention the fact that the price of lamb in New Zealand has gone up to $2.95 an hour."

Blimey!
So if I eat it very quickly do I get a discount?
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

There is a colossal "white flight", the PC crowd say "brain drain"--but whatever label you put on it, people are voting with their feet.
Damn good point. And worthy of some real figures to bolster the claim.
Not surprising, NZ scores deep in undeveloped world territory for the
percentage of people of who emmigrate, especially educated ones.
Again, Australia has a much lower percentage, and I think Britain scores
low compared to what I expected from reading the posts here. The US
scores extremely low.

http://www.oecd.org/document/51/0,23..._1_1_1,00.html
Old Mar 11th 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campbells
Mighty fine question.

I'm moving to the Fiji section to see if there is an island for sale. Take up coconut farming and surfing. Just as long as there is broad-band !!
Cheers
Bet you'd cut the workers wages
Old Mar 11th 2007, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Damn good point. And worthy of some real figures to bolster the claim.
Not surprising, NZ scores deep in undeveloped world territory for the
percentage of people of who emmigrate, especially educated ones.
But the choice to emigrate has been part of the NZ psyche for many generations, have you heard of the OE - Overseas Experience. Why do you imagine that there are so many kiwis in London on Working Holiday Visas. Just a recognition that there is a big wide world out there and lots to explore.
The question you have to investigate is how many of these emigrants return to NZ when it is time to settle down and bring up a family. this is possibly much higher than you would give credit for, just asking around my workmates (completely non-scientifically) this is a real trend.
NZers heading off overseas is not necessarily sinister, just a part of a natural lifecycle.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 12:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Bet you'd cut the workers wages
No need mate,

The wages in NZ are already cut If the problems here in NZ are the result of poverty I would not view that as a successful solution to replicate.

Actually my strategy would be to put staff on a motivational programme. So earning is proportional to your input. A productivity, accountability & responsibility measure.

It's called win / win.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.