Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why Do Poms Come Here

[QUOTE=mickey_d;5244212][QUOTE=tehori;5244064][QUOTE=StevieB;5243929]

Elocution lessons for the Northern English ;

Oi!!
Don't you mean "Ee By Gum ..."
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:21 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Am Loolah;5244197]
Originally Posted by lardyl

I thought I had? Felt I could laugh at that as Hubby is almost Northern ... I was born in Lancashire does that count ?

sorry ...
'appen it does................
you've credited the great Stevie B with the whole post you quoted, great man that he is, he wasn't talking to himself.....unlike yours truly - must go to bed now!!!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Am Loolah;5244219][QUOTE=mickey_d;5244212][QUOTE=tehori;5244064]
Originally Posted by StevieB

Elocution lessons for the Northern English ;

Don't you mean "Ee By Gum ..."
Geeroffonit mi owd duck
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:12 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=tehori;5244064]
Originally Posted by StevieB

Elocution lessons for the Northern English and Australians
would not go amiss however.

Cheek! Yorkshire is the Queen's English and the true way it should be spoken!

Ay up!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Am Loolah;5244197]
I was born in Lancashire does that count ?
Really ?? Where ??

I'm from Blackburn, Lancs and have been told that I sound like a FARMER
Old Aug 28th 2007, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

FishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really niceFishermansFriend is just really nice

Perhaps a few come to NZ to get away from the UKs association with this madman:

"I have authorised our military commanders in Iraq to confront Tehran's murderous activities," George Bush said today.

The BBC's Justin Webb, in Washington, says this looks like a conscious effort by the White House to elevate the tension between Washington and Teheran to a new level.

Such an effort might be designed to avoid the need for armed conflict or might equally be an effort to bring that conflict about, our correspondent says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6967502.stm
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:29 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=StevieB;5243929]
Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
The OP asked a simple question. And unfortunately, as usual, some Brits showed their true colours.QUOTE]

Then he went on to say other stuff that was completely uncalled for. Did you read it?
Yes I did read it and I don't blame him for retaliating after the way some posters laid in with personal attacks and continual insults. If it was ok for them, why not ok for him? Would you not defend yourself like you just have in your reply to this thread?

Have you read any of his replies on other threads where he has been encouraging and welcoming?

I am constantly amazed at how judgemental some people can be. Dandy Dan is actually a good friend and neighbour of mine. He has a heart of gold and has seen many parts of the world from different angles. Granted he is spirited.

But I do think sometimes with all these forum things that half the problem is that you are only seeing written words - over 90% of communication is non-verbal, so without being able to see the expression of the other person, or read their body language or spot the glint in the eye etc it is sometimes very difficult to gauge the tone or emphasis of a post. A lot of time assumptions get made which are incorrect. And I don't exclude myself from having fallen into that trap.

Basically the best rule of thumb, IMO, is to treat everyone as you would wish to be treated yourself. Life's just too short and who needs more wrinkles when anger and fretting can be avoided
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:24 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo

Yes I did read it and I don't blame him for retaliating after the way some posters laid in with personal attacks and continual insults. If it was ok for them, why not ok for him? Would you not defend yourself like you just have in your reply to this thread?

Have you read any of his replies on other threads where he has been encouraging and welcoming?

I am constantly amazed at how judgemental some people can be. Dandy Dan is actually a good friend and neighbour of mine. He has a heart of gold and has seen many parts of the world from different angles. Granted he is spirited.

But I do think sometimes with all these forum things that half the problem is that you are only seeing written words - over 90% of communication is non-verbal, so without being able to see the expression of the other person, or read their body language or spot the glint in the eye etc it is sometimes very difficult to gauge the tone or emphasis of a post. A lot of time assumptions get made which are incorrect. And I don't exclude myself from having fallen into that trap.

Basically the best rule of thumb, IMO, is to treat everyone as you would wish to be treated yourself. Life's just too short and who needs more wrinkles when anger and fretting can be avoided
the last bit of your post is *sagely* and Dan should read it closely as I assume he's not been around online forums that long ..... ???
Fraid that the first bit is a sign of reading with rose tinted specs.
To start with nobody here said anything "offensive" on this forum before Dan reffered to "you whinging poms " and "your pitiful country".............after that kind of talk then even the most reasonable British Ex-Pat will be riled...and will raise people's sensitivites to a thread that *could* be construed the wrong way.
Granted there is the odd supportive or informative post but there are several thiny disguised insults, baiting and leading with the chin posts that might be OK in the bar down the road over a cold one but are not helpful on a public forum - for the reasons you state clearly in your post. IMO several are poorly disguised wishes for "whingers" to leave or attacks on England, Scotland or the UK, for example:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=91
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=38
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=24
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=18
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...32&postcount=8
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=14
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...36&postcount=4
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=96
as some others have said:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...34&postcount=7
when I said people will be "pissed" by those posts I'm speaking from experience, not all of it good mind.
As StevieB (a solid mate who I will defend come what may!) said earlier someone has rolled onto the forum, turned the handle and waited for everyone else to follow the predictable path. If not leading us a merry dance with trolling then they are leading with their chin elsewhere.
Sorry you dont see it but people who are my friends, whom I have known personally and via these forums longer than you have been in NZ and who I respect are entitled to their views.......
Oh yeah and your mate's posts seem to coincide with the threads that have turned to custard...... does that tell you anything??
So much for "personal attacks and continual insults" - those who live by the sword shall die by the sword. Clear as....
I for one just hope the mods are watching!
Old Aug 29th 2007, 2:58 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

the last bit of your post is *sagely* and Dan should read it closely as I assume he's not been around online forums that long ..... ???
Fraid that the first bit is a sign of reading with rose tinted specs.
To start with nobody here said anything "offensive" on this forum before Dan reffered to "you whinging poms " and "your pitiful country".............after that kind of talk then even the most reasonable British Ex-Pat will be riled...and will raise people's sensitivites to a thread that *could* be construed the wrong way.
Granted there is the odd supportive or informative post but there are several thiny disguised insults, baiting and leading with the chin posts that might be OK in the bar down the road over a cold one but are not helpful on a public forum - for the reasons you state clearly in your post. IMO several are poorly disguised wishes for "whingers" to leave or attacks on England, Scotland or the UK, for example:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=91
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=38
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=24
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=18
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...32&postcount=8
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=14
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...36&postcount=4
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=96
as some others have said:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...34&postcount=7
when I said people will be "pissed" by those posts I'm speaking from experience, not all of it good mind.
As StevieB (a solid mate who I will defend come what may!) said earlier someone has rolled onto the forum, turned the handle and waited for everyone else to follow the predictable path. If not leading us a merry dance with trolling then they are leading with their chin elsewhere.
Sorry you dont see it but people who are my friends, whom I have known personally and via these forums longer than you have been in NZ and who I respect are entitled to their views.......
Oh yeah and your mate's posts seem to coincide with the threads that have turned to custard...... does that tell you anything??
So much for "personal attacks and continual insults" - those who live by the sword shall die by the sword. Clear as....
I for one just hope the mods are watching!
I'm sorry Lardyl but I find your response to me very aggressive. And to go to the trouble of tracking down and linking all those post seem a bit OTT. As does the implication that you are in some way of a higher rank or authority as you've been on these forums and known people for longer than I've been in NZ? What's that all about? Everyone here is entitled to their view - regardless of how long they've been on this forum or in NZ.

You seem very agitated and quick to point the finger of blame regarding threads 'turning to custard'. I thought the Moderators had sorted that one out and quite clearly posted who it was causing the trouble. Your not up to the same and wishing to find a scapegoat for your own actions, are you?

I may not have been in NZ long. I may not have been a member of BE for long. I may not have known Dandy Dan for long. But I too am entitled to my own opinion regardless of those facts. And tbh I don't find your aggressive reply to me useful or purposeful in the least; in fact the complete opposite and I feel very belittled by the 'tone', but then again you could have been saying it in a lighthearted way, so I'll not take offence Live and let live eh
Old Aug 29th 2007, 5:25 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tehori

Yes I did ,and yes I doubt if the NZ poster was a Maori so
his family have been here 150 years at best.

As for immigrants, in my eyes you are all welcome, as long
as you speak one of our languages.
Elocution lessons for the Northern English and Australians
would not go amiss however.

What too many NZ born Kiwis forget is that we are a country
with a low population, getting it up to around twelve million
would give us the best of both worlds , laidback lifestyle ,
and a greater range of opportunities in NZ for all.

We are always going to lose a proportion of our young
people, but a lot come home when they realise working and
having a life in London is hard going when one has a family.

Kia kaha (stay strong)
Well we need to remember that the Maori were also immigrants to NZ, not that their was any border control then.

Agree with your view though
Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:02 am
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dandy Dan
Because there is'nt a Kiwi expats, does that answer your question, cos you did want to know
It did occur to me that you could use some of your famed Kiwi ingenuity to set one up, I'll lend you a piece of No.8 wire if you want.(Joke).

My first reading of this was that the word Pom was being used in a derogatory fashion. As has already been said, posts can easily be misinterpreted in the absence of body language etc. I felt the OP appeared to lack empathy as to why we would compare things with 'home'. However, I do think the personal attacks were uncalled for. If I have misread anything then I apologise in advance.

We came to NZ because we wanted to try something different, an adventure I guess & also because OH lived in ChCh when he was a teenager. I love England, it's my homeland & where people I love are. I am gradually settling into life here now & there are some things that I love here & others that drive me nuts (just like England). I wouldn't expect someone to come to the UK & think everything was great & not compare it with home.

That's my 2 cents.

Am Loolah, if you were born in Lancs (clever lass ) then you will always be a lassie from Lancashire.

Linguists have traced real English to the Derby area, where they speak it proper duck. So I'm afraid it's the soft southerners who need the elocution lessons
Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:05 am
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

I have donned my tin hat & I'm now running for cover
Old Aug 29th 2007, 6:17 am
TeamEmbo

Lovely post AnnieNell

Just my experience, but Kiwi's use 'Pom' in a friendly way. Even 'whinging Pom'. And personally I don't see any difference between that an calling someone a Scouser, a Geordie, a Southern Softy, a Chaulkhead etc. They're all used in a non-offensive way. My OH gets called Pom all the time at work, or whinging Pom or worse ***king Pom, but all with a wink and a smile and not given or taken the wrong way

Perhaps we should all have webcams on here actually no, that could be too scary
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Why Do Poms Come Here

[QUOTE=Ted Logan;5247424]Well we need to remember that the Maori were also immigrants to NZ, not that their was any border control then.

Agree with your view though

We turn away too many immigrants who are good speakers
of the Mother tongue.
Because a person is not a holder of the right degree,trade,
or occupation that we need at this point of time, we do not
allow them in.
Rather short sighted, we need a larger home market,so I
would allow those who speak English well , into the country
with a age limit, health , and police check only.

Education test for Australians of course.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:59 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

All you ***king whinging poms (#) are .........

welcomed with arms open to NZ by this kiwi.

If you can handle the cut in take home pay, comparative lack of retail/work/travel/cultural opportunities , and still like it then you've more right to call this place home than many kiwis who have scarpered...

Now a bit of whinging on a mainly british website is fine, but I do hope that that is where it ends and the rest of the time you're positively trying to make your new lives as good as they can be.

(#) obligatory wink and smiley to stop somebody taking a swipe at little ole me....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.