Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why Do Poms Come Here

Why Do Poms Come Here

Old Aug 28th 2007, 4:25 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why Do Poms Come Here

Why do Poms come here ???/

To get out of England, thought that was bleeding obvious my son
Old Aug 28th 2007, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Sorry Mickey D, I didn't use 'Empire' in reference to your comment, which did make me laugh out loud btw, and a big for you trying to lighten the thread!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:13 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dandy Dan
good on ya m8ty, glad you are a solid-kiwi with a sense of fun and able to take a bit as well as giving it, at least the thread hasnt gone to custard......
Old Aug 28th 2007, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

If it's part of your empire, why is it so hard for you lot to get in
f***ing good question. Why is it so hard for us to get in? We speak English (a requirement) we pay an EXTORTIONANT amount of money to get here, we come here for a different way of life, but we see other people (who can't speak English) getting here for nothing. Yet still we come. And why? Because you're right. It is a beautiful country, and it is a better way of life. So when we tell you why we've come here, since you asked, don't have the audacity to slag us off. I don't know what your ancestry is, but I can pretty much guarantee that you are NOT a full blood Maori! So, which part of Europe do your family originate from? Cos if it wasn't for them coming here and whinging about the bloody weather, you wouldn't even be around to slag us off for whinging about the bloody weather!!
Wind your sodding neck in, I've also been around the world. But it wasn't on 'OE'. I've been around the real world, I've seen the blood and suffering, so don't use this as a justification for winding people up just to watch them go.
You have nothing constructive to add to this forum. You are wasting all our time. So go, and watch the door on your way out!!!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Please remember, your a guest in our country so please mind your P's and Q's
I am not a guest, I am a resident, with the right to vote and everything - including pay rates and taxes!!!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Do you drag woman in to said cave by hair ... if so I'll give you my number!
And mine..............oooooh I do like a bit of rough.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=TeamEmbo;5242204]
The OP asked a simple question. And unfortunately, as usual, some Brits showed their true colours.QUOTE]

Then he went on to say other stuff that was completely uncalled for. Did you read it?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Bev, I new it would rustle a few feathers but as i wrote in my original post "I'm not having a pop" i just wanted to know why people would come to place thats so obviously beautiful (otherwise they wouldn't of come here in the first place) and then moan like hell about it, it seems to me (and not wishing to be rude or rustle anymore feathers) that these are the kinda people that go on holiday to Spain and expect to get British Fish and Chips

I love my country and i want you to
Well I know my little lot are going to throw ourselves into the kiwi life thats for sure.
I no longer feel the need to be called British, the place has gone to the dogs and now me and mine are seeking for a better life/future and if thats in NZ then I hope you accept us.

I, for one cannot wait to start the next chapter in our lives.

NZ........... here's to a bloody good 40-50 years or so for my family without looking back.

Nici
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

The thread was started by the OP for a reason and followed on from other posts...

A few of us fed him consistently and i was one of them, sorry, but it was obvious what he wanted to get at from the very start. I quite happily and calmly sat here and fed his paranoia with suitable replies and increased the weight of the chip that sat on his shoulder. At the time i found his attitude very funny as well as offensive and had a good laugh at the replies but on relection it was maybe the wrong thing to do and i'm sorry if the course of the thread has caused some offence to others.

I do not however for one minute apologise for standing up for where most of us come from or our 'rights' to come here and pass the time as we wish to do so and live where we individually choose to, things that for some reason the OP had big issues with amongst so much else.

I can honestly say i have not met one single Kiwi to date who has not been welcoming, friendly and helpful to our family and i very much doubt the likes of the OP would voice any of his views to someone like me face to face but in any case i hope the views are, as i suspect, those of a very small minority.

Once again sorry if my posts made anyone feel uncomfortable....

If the OP wishes to carry on then please do so but for me enough is enough thanks...

And by the way Bev i can be 'delicate' sometimes.....

Last edited by teambwr47; Aug 28th 2007 at 11:42 am.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=StevieB;5243929]
Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
The OP asked a simple question. And unfortunately, as usual, some Brits showed their true colours.QUOTE]

Then he went on to say other stuff that was completely uncalled for. Did you read it?
Yes I did ,and yes I doubt if the NZ poster was a Maori so
his family have been here 150 years at best.

As for immigrants, in my eyes you are all welcome, as long
as you speak one of our languages.
Elocution lessons for the Northern English and Australians
would not go amiss however.

What too many NZ born Kiwis forget is that we are a country
with a low population, getting it up to around twelve million
would give us the best of both worlds , laidback lifestyle ,
and a greater range of opportunities in NZ for all.

We are always going to lose a proportion of our young
people, but a lot come home when they realise working and
having a life in London is hard going when one has a family.

Kia kaha (stay strong)
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:46 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever the reason that 'poms come here', for the majority of us this is possibly the biggest decision they have ever made. To separate families, be it parents, siblings, grandparents or even children, is a brave thing to do, particularly for those of us with children.

Our history is entwined with our nationality and to walk away from that without a backwards glance is an impossible thing for most to do. Even Kiwis that travel abroad still cling to those things familiar, be it other expats, national events or even the food.

So for those of us who have made the journey and those that are just embarking on theirs, embrace all that is new, remember with fondness all that was and NEVER be ashamed to say that you are British, American, Arab or Aussie, wherever you end up in the world.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:50 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=tehori;5244064]
Originally Posted by StevieB

Yes I did ,and yes I doubt if the NZ poster was a Maori so
his family have been here 150 years at best.

As for immigrants, in my eyes you are all welcome, as long
as you speak one of our languages.

What too many NZ born Kiwis forget is that we are a country
with a low population, getting it up to around twelve million
would give us the best of both worlds , laidback lifestyle ,
and a greater range of opportunities in NZ for all.

We are always going to lose a proportion of our young
people, but a lot come home when they realise working and
having a life in London is hard going when one has a family.

Kia kaha (stay strong)

Ditto!!!!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:54 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

And while we are on the serious subject, another answer to the thread's qyestion is that we come to BE in order to share information, gain mutual strength, air our troubles, gain wisdom (as in the posts of tehori and sarah), develop our understanding of the ex-pat life in our chosen country, have a laugh/joke and to be ourselves away from the normal burdens of life.

We do not come here to meet trolls, stirrers and other unpleasant types, although sometimes they are hard to avoid
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:54 am
you dewty owld maan!

[QUOTE=Am Loolah;5244090]
Originally Posted by tehori

Ditto!!!!
hey loolah get your quotes right darling.......
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:13 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=lardyl;5244108]
Originally Posted by Am Loolah
hey loolah get your quotes right darling.......
I thought I had? Felt I could laugh at that as Hubby is almost Northern ... I was born in Lancashire does that count ?

sorry ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.