Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why do I want to leave this god forsaken country?

Why do I want to leave this god forsaken country?

Old Sep 5th 2008, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

badwolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why do I want to leave this god forsaken country?

Very simple really, today’s papers report
‘£525m stadium could be demolished after 2012’ (it will be to expensive to run!) and
‘Progress on the £1 billion athletes' village (yup one BILLION) was plunged into further doubt this week when Nigel Hugill announced he was resigning as chairman of Lend Lease. Development director Robin Butler is also going.
Yet we have pensioners and families struggling to make ends meet, hospitals, schools and public services falling apart, a health care crisis, a fuel crisis, crime crisis, housing crisis, credit crisis, farming crisis, food crisis. Strikes me with a population just over 60 million it would be cheaper, and a damn site more constructive, to share the cash out and stuff the 2012 Olympics. What makes me even sadder is the fact that we are letting it happen.
Ok N.Z. might not be perfect, it has its problems - where doesn't? It might be a back water, economy might be slow, wages might be low – it might be in the middle of nowhere, but if that means they are less likely to hoist stupid and pretentious events such as that which the Olympics has now become then it gets my vote.

Last edited by badwolf; Sep 5th 2008 at 11:29 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do I want to leave this god forsaken country?

Originally Posted by badwolf
‘£525m stadium could be demolished after 2012’ (it will be to expensive to run!) and
‘Progress on the £1 billion athletes' village (yup one BILLION) was plunged into further doubt this week when Nigel Hugill announced he was resigning as chairman of Lend Lease. Development director Robin Butler is also going.
Yet we have pensioners and families struggling to make ends meet, hospitals, schools and public services falling apart, a health care crisis, a fuel crisis, crime crisis, housing crisis, credit crisis, farming crisis, food crisis. Strikes me with a population just over 60 million it would be cheaper, and a damn site more constructive, to give every man woman and child a million each and stuff the 2012 Olympics. What makes me even sadder is the fact that we are letting it happen.
Ok N.Z. might not be perfect, it has its problems - where doesn't? It might be a back water, economy might be slow wages might be low – but if that means they are less likely to hoist stupid and pretentious events such as that which the Olympics has now become then it gets my vote.
You are right..no where is perfect BUT NZ (if you pick the right spot!!) has alot to offer. Less people means less problems..while NZ has a raft of the latter life over here almost 4 years on is so much simpler than it was in the UK..and that's with having had our own fair share of problems both that would have happened in the UK and others that are partculiar to NZ.

It has been a bumpy ride but we adore our lives in NZ. The UK has lots of plus points but the pros of life in NZ with a young family way outweigh the cons.

NZ rocks.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 11:35 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

The Government DID try to build a waterfront stadium in Auckland for the World Cup. It was going to cost Squillions but there was such an outrage from the rate payers that they had to scrap that plan and redevelop Eden Park instead. It's such a small population that when they DO get the bit between their teeth (not that often) the Government has to listen - especially with an election coming up this year.

Is the Dome still there? You'd think that lessons would have been learned from that white elephant
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
Is the Dome still there? You'd think that lessons would have been learned from that white elephant
It's now a major concert venue, so not really a white elephant anymore.

http://wwp.millennium-dome.com/
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

masterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to all

It should have been held somewhere other than london , theres 4 capitals in the uk , and it would have been a damn site cheaper to build in the outside of edinburgh , belfast or cardiff .... and neither of them have already held an olympics.

I tihnk the lights beginning to come on.Its not too late to change if its cheaper.

TAxpayers nil - Millenium dome 2.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

ziggi will become famous soon enoughziggi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by masterbaits
It should have been held somewhere other than london , theres 4 capitals in the uk , and it would have been a damn site cheaper to build in the outside of edinburgh , belfast or cardiff .... and neither of them have already held an olympics.

I tihnk the lights beginning to come on.Its not too late to change if its cheaper.

TAxpayers nil - Millenium dome 2.
As someone who is thinking about the move over, all your comments are only fueling my desire. Couldn't agree with you more. I for one would rather put the money to other uses.
It too reminds me of the Mill' dome, I'd rather have entered 2000 with no Fireworks and be proud of the only country in the world with no waiting list in the Hospitals; THAT would've been something to tell your children what happened in the year 2000.

Ziggi
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:07 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Just want to add love NZ, 1 year on
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

TOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by badwolf
Yet we have pensioners and families struggling to make ends meet, hospitals, schools and public services falling apart, a health care crisis, a fuel crisis, crime crisis, housing crisis, credit crisis, farming crisis, food crisis. Strikes me with a population just over 60 million it would be cheaper, and a damn site more constructive, to share the cash out and stuff the 2012 Olympics. What makes me even sadder is the fact that we are letting it happen.
Ok N.Z. might not be perfect, it has its problems - where doesn't? It might be a back water, economy might be slow, wages might be low – it might be in the middle of nowhere, but if that means they are less likely to hoist stupid and pretentious events such as that which the Olympics has now become then it gets my vote.
i agree britain cant afford to host the olympics. Although it pains me to say it i think hosting the games is an attempt by the government to cover up the failing economy and increasing gaps between ethnic groups in britain
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

This is not just in the UK. The olympics just finished in China and people left homeless from earthquakes and floods could have been helped with the billions spent. We're getting the 2010 Winter Olympics and have homeless in the streets, pensioners who can't afford to stay in their homes and schools and hospitals shutting down due to lack of funding. Politicians all over the world are the same, don't think NZ is any different.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

paul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant future

the uk is the bigest dump ever i hate it with a passion! rip of britan sooner i get to nz the better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul2
the uk is the bigest dump ever i hate it with a passion! rip of britan sooner i get to nz the better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the uk is the bigest dump ever = a Big Pile of Poo ...

Where in Britain are you btw?

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 6th 2008 at 3:21 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:40 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul2
the uk is the bigest dump ever i hate it with a passion!
you need to get out a bit more
Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

CharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really nice

I agree entirely. The UK is NOT the worst place in the world. There are far worse place to end up, BUT everything depends on your personal circumstances. Even the best of places can be a complete nightmare if you have a bad run of luck. I have friends in the US with personal experience of what it is like there with a serious illness and inadequate health insurance. It makes any complaints I might have about the NHS pale into insignificance.

However, the UK is not perfect. I wouldn't be going to Welly in January if it was. The thing that did it for me was trying to work out the budget for a decent three bedroom house in a decent school catchment area while being able to afford nursery fees for another rugrat. It just couldn't be done. On top of that the hour and a half commute into work (along with the £2750ish annual rail costs) just drove me to distraction.

Tawa here I come, and the joys of (I hope) a half hour commute!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why do I want to leave this god forsaken country?

The UK, believe it or not and despite what some people say on this shallow web site, is still one of the best countries in the world IMNSHO.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 10:05 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
The UK, believe it or not and despite what some people say on this shallow web site, is still one of the best countries in the world IMNSHO.
your probably right that's why its overcrowded with immigrants going for a better lifestyle (or the hand outs...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.