Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why do I want to leave this god forsaken country?

Why do I want to leave this god forsaken country?

Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do I want to leave this god forsaken country?

Originally Posted by paul2
ive got 2 kids one at 11 and other at 2, i just think nz must be a better life then here. there is nothing here for my kids here, we have just been to the wifes sisters and on the way back there was 2 kids smashing up a phone box? why do they do it? owe yer cos they can get away with it
Kids smashing up phone boxes Happens in NZ too, nowhere's perfect.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:33 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Kids smashing up phone boxes Happens in NZ too, nowhere's perfect.
I can't recall seeing any phone boxes here ... memo to self ... pay attention when out!!
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:48 am
Banned

Scouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really nice

The "anti-Brit" message worries me a bit. New Zealand is great and we love it here, but it's a country and an economy like anywhere. It has problems like anywhere. So many (especially, but not exclusively) British people come here expecting all their problems will be over. Well, they won't. If you struggled to make a living in the UK, trust me - you'll find it tougher here. NZ has a small economy, so it works a bit different. What I love about it here is that it rewards hard work more than in the UK.

By the way - if you think you'll sell your house in the UK and buy a mansion in Auckland, dream on!

There IS crime here, and when the Olympics were in Sydney they had all the same economic issues. There is crass bad-management here too, and mega-officious bureaucracy. If you think Immigration NZ is bad, don't come here! ;-)

Coming to New Zealand won't solve your problems - and in many cases, people find it can make them worse (sorry, it's a fact!). But don't come here on the assumption that "UK bad - NZ good" because you'll be in for a big fall!

In summary? New Zealand is great - lovely people (on the whole!), great scenery (on the whole!) but it favours the self-sufficient. If you can afford property, afford to educate your children, afford health insurance and can earn well, it's great here. If you're used to the UK system of support (and ask yourself serious questions here - you may be more "supported" than you think!) then you'll find it hard here.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:20 pm
R0b
Just Joined

R0b is an unknown quantity at this point

The UK is "ok" now and not as bad as the daily mail would have you believe.

However, I think the UK *does* have some very serious problems on the horizon. The UK's economy is a sham - it is entirely debt based. Our exports don't come close to matching our imports, the government is borrowing wildly during "boom times".

I think many of the complaints people have about NZ (expensive cost of living, poor housing etc.) will be occurring in the UK soon. The country is simply not living to its means. The past 10 years of "prosperity" under our "prudent" PM/Chancellor have been based on rampant house price inflation, consumer and government debt.

New Zealand suffers from these problems, but not to the extreme extent the UK does. When you think about emigration, look 5-10 years ahead. The UK has some very severe problems to face in the future.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:52 pm
Banned

techieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant future

If people believe all what the UK media throws at them then bigger fools them and I hope they do leave and go moan in some other part of the World.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:59 pm
R0b
Just Joined

R0b is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Why do I want to leave this god forsaken country?

Originally Posted by techieguy
If people believe all what the UK media throws at them then bigger fools them and I hope they do leave and go moan in some other part of the World.
Why bother posting that honestly? Having quickly looked at your previous posts it seems you are just angry at something, but never have anything useful to offer.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Why do I want to leave this god forsaken country?

I think anywhere in the world nowadays has problems with the teenagers in that a lot of them just dont respect anything even themselves.
Im in New Zealand.
We had a new glass sided bus shelter put on our street and twice within the month of it being erected the big glass windows were smashed to bits, im unsure if the glass was replaced a third time.

The other night i was in town driving home from getting a takeaway just as i was about to pull out these idiots came screaming along in a boy racer car (this was in the middle of Nelson) there was a give way sign coming up and these guys must have been doing at leas 80km an hr in a 50km area did they slow down to give way nope they put their foot down and went like hell across the road into a no exit street....If someone had been coming along the other road there would have been dead people everywhere but nope they dont seem to think about that they were going too fast for me to get their licence plate details and i was not about to drive down the no exit street they had gone down to get the details. I find these teenage kids very intimidating and i guess of course they know that its like my partner says sometimes when walking home from the pub if they are all hanging round a corner you wonder if something is going to kick off and his 75yr old mate has been pushed by them when walking home before.

But the thing is where are these kids parents these kids seem to have the attitude i'll do what i like and there are never any consiquences for their actions. Unless there happens to be a cop driving by of course.
Sorry rant over lol I just think its a worldwide problem and i dont think that these bebo etc sites are helping that and texting makes it way too easy for these kids to get together and if someone ie cops stop them they can pretty quickly get in contact and regroup!

Cheers
Cally
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:31 am
Banned

techieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant future

Why bother posting that?

Because most people believe what they read in the papers, which is mostly lies and spin!

Anyone who makes a decision to up sticks and live on the other side of the planet just because of the rubbish that's written / reported really needs their head tested. Bad and negative news sells, that's why they do it!

Emigrate because you are pulled by something, not pushed.

I am sure that many of the '1 in 4 Brits' that return home were originally pushed.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Why bother posting that?

Because most people believe what they read in the papers, which is mostly lies and spin!

Anyone who makes a decision to up sticks and live on the other side of the planet just because of the rubbish that's written / reported really needs their head tested. Bad and negative news sells, that's why they do it!

Emigrate because you are pulled by something, not pushed.

I am sure that many of the '1 in 4 Brits' that return home were originally pushed.

You never do any lying or spinning yourself then techieguy ?????????
I think 'Negitivity' might be your middle name!
I know I'd rather be reading the papers than listening to some of the unsubstantiated claims you throw about.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

rukario will become famous soon enough

Why bother posting that?

[1] Because most people believe what they read in the papers, which is mostly lies and spin!

[2] Anyone who makes a decision to up sticks and live on the other side of the planet just because of the rubbish that's written / reported really needs their head tested. Bad and negative news sells, that's why they do it!

[3] Emigrate because you are pulled by something, not pushed.

[4] I am sure that many of the '1 in 4 Brits' that return home were originally pushed.
Regardless of the detractors, this post is essentially true.
[Annotations mine]

(1) Sad but true, otherwise Murdoch et al wouldn't do it.

(2) Done the move thing twice (though the first time wasn't by choice; I was only 4 at the time), and in the process of doing it again. Making such a decision requires major research of living conditions on both sides.

(3) It is impossible to run away from something, such running is aimless. You need something to run to. (I think I should trademark this statement!)

(4) Hence the problem.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rukario
Regardless of the detractors, this post is essentially true.
[Annotations mine]

(1) Sad but true, otherwise Murdoch et al wouldn't do it.

(2) Done the move thing twice (though the first time wasn't by choice; I was only 4 at the time), and in the process of doing it again. Making such a decision requires major research of living conditions on both sides.

(3) It is impossible to run away from something, such running is aimless. You need something to run to. (I think I should trademark this statement!)

(4) Hence the problem.

no its not the truth, its just someones opinion and you have and opinion of newpaper publishers, thats cool you're entitled to it, but its only your opinion not the 'truth'.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

masterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to all

I would expect that the 1 in 4 go back because thier expectations are bigger than the limitations.They dont perhaps realise that they are maybe going into a 50s lifestyle and wages , of "graft to live" , not to holiday while working.

A one year working holiday visa should maybe be for more than just the 18-30 crowd.It would solve a lot of elastic banders , espcially so if it was two years or more.

HOODIES_CHAVS.

Some teenager/hoodie/chav starting on me would be funny , but not for them.No doubt though after giving them a good pasting , and after the public outcry agaisnt me , that I would be charged and convicted of defending myself.We fear harm from them , and the punishment from the authorites for reacting , surely the chav should be the one in fear instead?

If the communities adults would step away from the bloody tv , to walk their streets of an evening , then claiming the streets back would be oh so easy.Its so easy to complain about the state of any countries community when you only see it from the inside of a house , or from the medias slant , and yet expect someone else to do something about it but not you.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 9:58 pm
Banned

I have no agenda, unlike the media. You don't have to read my posts.

I think to say emigrate for positive reasons is fair advice!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:03 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
It's now a major concert venue, so not really a white elephant anymore.

http://wwp.millennium-dome.com/
$180 US (incl $40 car parking) to see Barry Manilow at the O2 formerly known as Millenium Dome...total bargain.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 10:05 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I think to say emigrate for positive reasons is fair advice!
Hurrah!!

We are trying to encourage balanced views and opinions for people looking to make the move. One needs to stress most of these views are simply that - one person's personal experience or opinion. Both positive and negative. The key to making your mind up must be based on research, research, research.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.