Why did you move?

Old Feb 19th 2018, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you move?

We moved here because I was in the process of being made redundant for the 3rd time in 4 years (global financial crisis) and just had enough of the lack of job security back at home.

I could have moved to South Africa as I was offered a job out there but turned it down. When NZ came up, I couldn't turn another opportunity abroad down - especially with how the GFC was affecting my work.

Here was the only country that had my role on the skills shortage list so we felt the chances of redundancy here were slim.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 11:07 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We came to New Zealand in 2002 on a three week campervan tour of the North Island.
We liked it.
We kept talking about how it would be a good place to live.
We realised we'd regret not doing it.
In 2005 we moved, and it has gone well

I don't think I'd ever move back.

And I still get serious guilt trips from my mum every time I call them, for abandonment.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 11:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you Kiwis don't mind a blow-in, but the thread title caught my eye. The thread's a good read too.

I moved from Australia to the UK when I was 57. My Brit husband had been living in Oz for 25 years and couldn't wait till he retired so we could move back to what he always called home. It was very hard to leave my elderly Mum, my kids, my sisters etc, but I was up for the adventure and loved my new life immediately.

After 2 and a bit years, we're making plans to go back to Australia by the end of this year. Although I settled in the UK straight away, my husband didn't. I can be happy in either country but he can't, so at almost 60 I'm off again. He's a bit special, my scouse lad, and his happiness is very important to me.

But if he gets to Oz and decides that he wants to move back to the UK again, I'll murder him
Old Feb 21st 2018, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I hope you Kiwis don't mind a blow-in, but the thread title caught my eye. The thread's a good read too.

I moved from Australia to the UK when I was 57. My Brit husband had been living in Oz for 25 years and couldn't wait till he retired so we could move back to what he always called home. It was very hard to leave my elderly Mum, my kids, my sisters etc, but I was up for the adventure and loved my new life immediately.

After 2 and a bit years, we're making plans to go back to Australia by the end of this year. Although I settled in the UK straight away, my husband didn't. I can be happy in either country but he can't, so at almost 60 I'm off again. He's a bit special, my scouse lad, and his happiness is very important to me.

But if he gets to Oz and decides that he wants to move back to the UK again, I'll murder him

I think you've made a good point by saying I can be happy in either country. As I've said before, It's not really the country that makes people happy, but the actual location in that country and what that location can offer you personally.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 12:34 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I think you've made a good point by saying I can be happy in either country. As I've said before, It's not really the country that makes people happy, but the actual location in that country and what that location can offer you personally.
I'd agree with that Moses. That's what I find most frustrating about discussions that argue about the 'best' first world country to live in. There are so many variables that are individual to one person/family.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree with that Moses. That's what I find most frustrating about discussions that argue about the 'best' first world country to live in. There are so many variables that are individual to one person/family.
Exactly and one way you can really trick people, is post a photo on Facebook or whatever. Just another road in New Zealand for example but this is of course not New Zealand. You'd have people commenting, I'm moving abroad, wish we had scenery like that etc. It's mainly people who live in cities and never really explore their own country, but they moan all the time. There are too many factors to consider as you say.
Attached Thumbnails Why did you  move?-roadcapture.jpg  

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 21st 2018 at 3:33 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

This is so true Spouse of Scouse and Moses, I think that's what I was getting across in my original response, although not as eloquently! I like both Oz and Nz, can live happily in each one, and live in whichever suits my circumstances at the time. Both have good and not so good points for me

Michelle
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Ex Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really nice

Hi everyone, I will probably only do this message and one other with tips, unable to help with immigration only with general living. We always wanted to come to NZ but they turned us down, husband was not from UK. So went to Perth, didn’t like it because of flies, way back then 1966 people wanted to put a plane up and spray the whole city!!
I used to watch the plane take off to the UK and cry.
Anyway hubby was transferred to NZ after 6 years yippee. It was like I had arrived back in England. We arrived with 2 kids, Xmas was lonely for a while, rest of the year, no probs. Gradually we got to know people from work or etc. The children grew up, got partners, had children there is even a great grandchild now, we have about 20 people come around for Xmas, birthdays etc. We have founded a dynasty here in NZ, well its me now really because hubby passed on last year so I guess you could call me a matriarch
Barb
Old Feb 25th 2018, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

kingacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Life is too short not to have adventures.
Been here for 6 years and never regretted our decision.