Why did you move?

Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

doyley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why did you move?

We decided we wanted out of our current lifestyle, we wanted our kids to grow up somewhere safer, less time commuting and more time as a family.

I've been offered work there a few times this time we decided to go for it.

Whats your experience been like?
Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you move?

Originally Posted by doyley
We decided we wanted out of our current lifestyle, we wanted our kids to grow up somewhere safer, less time commuting and more time as a family.
yeah we all think the grass is greener somewhere else.

I'll reserve my thoughts on that but given all your heart's desires per above, why did you choose to move to Auckland?
Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Auckland is where the company is based so until we're settled it seemed like the obvious choice, the company I'm going to suggested hobsonville.

I know what you mean about the grass being greener, currently I work in London live south Birmingham, work is a trek, even on the train.

So go on you not glad you made the move? nothing will change our decision, only us if we get there and hate it......... lol

Last edited by doyley; Feb 13th 2018 at 8:30 am.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland is where the company is based so until we're settled it seemed like the obvious choice, the company I'm going to suggested hobsonville.

I know what you mean about the grass being greener, currently I work in London live south Birmingham, work is a trek, even on the train.

So go on you not glad you made the move? nothing will change our decision, only us if we get there and hate it......... lol
I can understand why you would want to move away from Birmingham. No offence, but when we drove through the UK back to Ireland, we stopped somewhere in Birmingham (The Fort Shopping Centre). I was just glad to get out of there to be honest and driving through Wales was like paradise again. What I'm trying to say, is that the grass can be a lot greener just around the corner. Auckland is just another major city and you might face the same problems you have now.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

We might face the same issues, but then again it may be the best thing we ever did, there's only one way to find out.

What I do mean I wil always work in a major city, but I will not have commute there daily like I do into London or Birmingham, the office is not based in central Auckland and the jobs are all over the island mostly north but heading south also.

Is NZ really not everything you expected?

Birmingham and London people are getting attacked snatched stabbed etc far more often than I want my children to know.

But as I said, why did you move and do you regret it?
Old Feb 13th 2018, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Dont get hooked into comparing UK to NZ, the mindset you are in will mean the UK will always come off looking worse.
NZ has terrible crime rates, gang issues, race issues, drug stats that are way worse the UK child abuse and domestic abuse
figures that are some of the highest in world, its not utopia, it has so many problems

Hobsonville strikes me as a cross between Stepford and The wives of Orange county. I dont like the place, I find it artificial,
superficial and pretentious, but then again I'm biased as I hated living in Auckland

If you find the right place in NZ, and for you it may be Hobsonville, we're all different, then yes, the grass is greener.
This is my tenth year here and I'm now in a place I feel I belong.
It takes quite some time before you start to mentally leave the UK behind. You will see or hear people complaining about
lack of choice, higher prices, the houses aren't the same, it's not like home, etc etc. Once you just let it all go, accept the differences
and stop comparing, then you'll fit right in

Having said that, I hope your not fond of cucumbers
Old Feb 13th 2018, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

I'm not comparing the 2 countries i'm looking for something new, and that's what we will get.

After all the sun always shines there and the beach is just a 5 in drive away isn't it? lol
Old Feb 13th 2018, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

So your work will be based in Auckland but you'll be traveling around the north island to do it ??
Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

We wanted an adventure.

We got one. Still happily here 15 years later.

Gill
Old Feb 13th 2018, 10:28 pm
jjg
Numpty

jjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of light

I've been offered work there a few times this time we decided to go for it.

Whats your experience been like?
Moved here for the same reasons.
Been here over 11 years, lost my house to an earthquake and had it rebuilt in that period.
Still here......no regrets.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 10:53 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

We fancied a change, wanted to take the opportunity before it became impossible. NZ recognised my wife's quals etc and enabled her to get a job offer, settled in Auckland as that is where her job offer was, I'm in IT so Auckland is also a good centre of gravity for me.

Worked out well even though now divorced and with a new Kiwi partner, 4 girls all happy here inc the eldest who has just migrated over with her husband.

Only regret I have is not making the move sooner...will have been here 8 years in August...
Old Feb 14th 2018, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

I just came to NZ for a year, as a backpacker. I felt very at home here straight away. After the year was up I didn’t want to leave so I got a work visa for another year. Then another for another 2 years. Applied for residency so I didn’t have to keep getting work visas. Auckland was quite a different city in some ways then, a lot of the traffic and housing problems didn’t really exist. I remember being amazed I could rent in one of the nicest suburbs in the city, less than 10 minutes from the CBD while I was on minimum wage. Bit different now!

Been here 17 years this year. It’s not perfect but we have a good life here.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

I moved over in 2009 from Australia as my husband was from Christchurch and wanted to move back, I had been many times over the 10 years before this so was up for it.

We liked it, ended up going back to Australia for cancer treatment for him that we couldn't get at the time in NZ, unfortunately I lost him to cancer in 2012, lucky I was able to take him back for a visit in early 2012 while he was still ok.

It was good there and it was good in Oz, both similar and both different.

I have been back three times since i lost him as i have many friends I have made there, and again back in April, my daughter and I are going back possibly to live at the end of the year cos why not.....we like an adventure..

My philosophy is life is too short, I'm 50 in a few months and want to do as much as I can while I still can. I regret nothing.

Good luck on your adventures!

Michelle
Old Feb 14th 2018, 7:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Mishclark
I
We liked it, ended up going back to Australia for cancer treatment for him that we couldn't get at the time in NZ,
This should make everyone pause. It is certainly true of NZ today. Few people . Limited funding. Need to pick that which will most benefit the population.*

Please don't do a compare thing anyone.
Some of us live in NZ . Not elsewhere which has no bearing

unfortunately I lost him to cancer in 2012,
Mishclark. I know it is some years since but my heart goes out to you for this sad loss regardless. You went through some ups and downs prior to that as I recall.

Time is a funny old thing. It is never enough time once you find the partner that is for you.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
This should make everyone pause. It is certainly true of NZ today. Few people . Limited funding. Need to pick that which will most benefit the population.*

Please don't do a compare thing anyone.
Some of us live in NZ . Not elsewhere which has no bearing

Mishclark. I know it is some years since but my heart goes out to you for this sad loss regardless

Time is a funny old thing. It is never enough time.
So true, I can't compare both because both are same and different, my wording probably doesn't come out as it does in my head!

And thank you Bevs, coming on six years, and I'm pretty good. What it has taught me is to do everything, within reason, with no regrets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.