Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why did you leave?

Why did you leave?

Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:14 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why did you leave?

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
All things we have in abundance in Auckland, averaging 185 rainy days per year, traffic problems, pollution, drugs, gangs, crime, prostitution you name it, we have it.

You can hope for better, but I sincerely urge people do more research than hope particulary, when moving from any one of the perceived grungy cities in the UK to Auckland. Ask yourself what can you have or expect from Auckland that you don't already have elsewhere?

According to the 2001 census data, the population of Leeds is 715,404 - malking it the third biggest city in the UK after London and Birmingham.

In 2006, Birmingham had 1,006,500 residents according to the Office for National Statistics.

The Auckland metropolitan area or Greater Auckland is the largest and most populous urban area in NZ with over 1.3 million residents.

I fail to see how swapping one big messy city for another, will improve the quality of anyone's life
I thought manchester was the thrid biggest with 2.5 million.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute

I might be trespassing again as I am not a Brit, but a Finn, and we are still in the paperwork phase and won't be living in NZ for quite a while yet. However, I have been questioning my reasons every now and then, and I always find the same reasons.

The rat race. I guess it is not as bad here as it is, for example in London, but it is bad enough for me. I know NZ is not a paradise, but as long as it is more relaxed than here, I know I'd be happy. I am longing for that "she'll be right" -attitude instead of constant stress.

I am not a materialistic person at all, but the rat race seems to bring with it a certain "must have all" -attitude, and it seems to rub on to people. You must buy a newer car, a bigger place to live, have holidays abroad, do this and that, buy this and that... I have caught myself coveting things I really do not need or do not even want! It's insane!!! And I know I am not the only one: during the past few years many of my friends seem to have been stuck in a kind of an armament loop: who's got the biggest tv and who bought a new car etc.

Finland has been doing well in many studies about the school system, innovation capability etc. But what I see is stressed-out people and an ever-accelerating pace of life and a society that is about to split into two: those who can keep up with the race (for a while at least) and the "underachievers" that for some reason are not participating the race and risk ending up a social underclass. The worst thing is that the kids face the same pressures: according to a recent study, 14% of girls in high schools suffer from moderate or severe stress symptoms. I find this really scary and a far cry from my own childhood. I don't like the direction this country is going to...

I want to live in a more relaxed and a less materialistic society. And to be honest: I am also a bit tired of my social circles here. There are some friends that I will miss dearly, but I know we'll stay in touch. However, I am looking for making new friends and joining new social circles. Finland is a country of pessimists and of unenthusiasm, and I do not fit in as I am too social, too impulsive and too fun-loving... And as for the cost of living, I am not afraid of the lower-than-in-Britain wages and more expensive food as that's how the life is here as well.

These are my main reasons for wanting to leave. From what I've read and studied about NZ, I hope that these things could a bit better there. I'm sure NZ has its own negatives too, but I am willing to give it a try.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mgee
I might be trespassing again as I am not a Brit, but a Finn, and we are still in the paperwork phase and won't be living in NZ for quite a while yet. However, I have been questioning my reasons every now and then, and I always find the same reasons.

The rat race. I guess it is not as bad here as it is, for example in London, but it is bad enough for me. I know NZ is not a paradise, but as long as it is more relaxed than here, I know I'd be happy. I am longing for that "she'll be right" -attitude instead of constant stress.

I am not a materialistic person at all, but the rat race seems to bring with it a certain "must have all" -attitude, and it seems to rub on to people. You must buy a newer car, a bigger place to live, have holidays abroad, do this and that, buy this and that... I have caught myself coveting things I really do not need or do not even want! It's insane!!! And I know I am not the only one: during the past few years many of my friends seem to have been stuck in a kind of an armament loop: who's got the biggest tv and who bought a new car etc.

Finland has been doing well in many studies about the school system, innovation capability etc. But what I see is stressed-out people and an ever-accelerating pace of life and a society that is about to split into two: those who can keep up with the race (for a while at least) and the "underachievers" that for some reason are not participating the race and risk ending up a social underclass. The worst thing is that the kids face the same pressures: according to a recent study, 14% of girls in high schools suffer from moderate or severe stress symptoms. I find this really scary and a far cry from my own childhood. I don't like the direction this country is going to...

I want to live in a more relaxed and a less materialistic society. And to be honest: I am also a bit tired of my social circles here. There are some friends that I will miss dearly, but I know we'll stay in touch. However, I am looking for making new friends and joining new social circles. Finland is a country of pessimists and of unenthusiasm, and I do not fit in as I am too social, too impulsive and too fun-loving... And as for the cost of living, I am not afraid of the lower-than-in-Britain wages and more expensive food as that's how the life is here as well.

These are my main reasons for wanting to leave. From what I've read and studied about NZ, I hope that these things could a bit better there. I'm sure NZ has its own negatives too, but I am willing to give it a try.

Good on yer mate!!!! I am sure you will fit in well. Where are you headed and what do you do?? Family coming too???
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

We have only got to the ITA so far but hopefully there will be no problems getting PR. We want our 10 year old to enjoy her childhood, we want her to be able to cycle to a friends house without worrying about her (I hope thats realistic!) we all want to explore the very beautiful country, spend more time as a family, preferably outside, the climate is better in spite of the rain, the beaches are better, at North Shore (where we are heading) everywhere seems close to the beach, to not get drawn into the materialistic life we are here (although I really do want central heating!!!) To chill and just experience some of what NZ has to offer. Plus of course when we sell our house here we will be mortgage free there and my OH can finally think about early retirement before he wears out!!! Bevissa
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:43 am
Happy Thought Producer

LoganT is just really niceLoganT is just really niceLoganT is just really niceLoganT is just really niceLoganT is just really niceLoganT is just really niceLoganT is just really niceLoganT is just really nice

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
Sounds like Auckland to me
Yes I hear terrorism is a huge factor in Auckland.
Same as here in london really wondering if its your last tube ride or not.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute

Genesis,

we're thinking about Wellington. Hubby and three pets are coming along. We're both working in IT/telecom, although my degree is in English Literature with PhD studies in Knowledge Management. I might like to do something a bit more creative than what I'm doing now, and that's one of the reasons we're looking at Welly.

Oh, and I forgot one important reason: SUN and LIGHT! We're so far up in the North that for 4-5 months a year we only get a couple hours of light per day (and I do not mean sunshine -that is really rare during winter). Just before Christmas, at the time of the winter solstice, we only have 4-5 hours of sunlight and pitch black darkness for almost 20 hours! And they wonder why the suicide rates are so high here... I will miss the snow but that I can find on the South Island if I want to.

Last edited by Mgee; Mar 26th 2009 at 12:07 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Genesis,

Oh, and I forgot one important reason: SUN and LIGHT!
That is a big difference - you don't get that 2-3 month period when you never see your house in daylight except in weekends (at least not with the hours I work
Old Mar 27th 2009, 10:15 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hello I'm from Ireland and can totally empathise with you on the cost of living thing - I've never felt that it's more expensive here on a day to day basis. I went mad shopping when I went back last year but it wasn't any cheaper - it was just different. There are parts of Auckland where it's important to HAVE but they're few and far between thankfully.

A while back we were watching Southland TV and I said to my hubby (Kiwi) 'it's really relaxed down there isn't it?" and he looked at me and said "it's not too [effin] technical up here either" So true!