Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why did you emigrate? (or are thinking of emigrating?) - courtesy KJCherokee :-)

Why did you emigrate? (or are thinking of emigrating?) - courtesy KJCherokee :-)

Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Post Why did you emigrate? (or are thinking of emigrating?) - courtesy KJCherokee :-)

I saw this thread by KJCherokee during my BE travels and thought it would be good for here also.

So - per KJ Cherokee's interview style opening post to the Oz forum.

"There have been lots of posts on here recently talking about the "risk" of emigrating to Australia which set me wondering why people decide to come in the first place. So can we have some posts which answer the following questions.

1. What made you first think about emigrating?
2. When did this happen? (Obviously the drivers are different now to 50-60 years ago!)
3. Did (do) you intend to stay permanently or go back after a few years?
4. Did (do) you know what you are coming to?
5. Do you think you made the right decision?
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:09 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you emigrate? (or are thinking of emigrating?) - courtesy KJCherokee :-)

robwinkler - actually made me laugh out loud and I don't do that a often. Great first post as well
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:15 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you emigrate? (or are thinking of emigrating?) - courtesy KJCherokee :-)

Originally Posted by BEVS
I saw this thread by KJCherokee during my BE travels and thought it would be good for here also.

"There have been lots of posts on here recently talking about the "risk" of emigrating to Australia which set me wondering why people decide to come in the first place. So can we have some posts which answer the following questions.
I lived in South Africa, back in '97 and had itchy feet ever since. I also had a little list in my head, that got 'ticked' off as days, weeks, went by, eventually it all got ticked!
2. When did this happen? (Obviously the drivers are different now to 50-60 years ago!)
We started the paperwork about 5 years ago and made the move about 2 1/2 years ago
Permanent from the UK but might go elsewhere!
We researched it all and got residency without ever seeing the place!
Absolutely! Although a lotto win could help!!

Last edited by sirplug; Sep 21st 2012 at 7:17 am.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:21 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Husband had wanted to leave UK for years. He would of liked a Caribbean Island but I had to be the sensible one and put the children's needs first. We had also looked at Australia and had actually started the process but some Government intended laws didn't sit well with husband so he pulled the plug on that.

We started the EOI July 2011, submitted ITA end of Oct 2011. Family was in NZ in January 2012. PR given February 2012.

Not sure, never say never but we do intend to stay to get Citizenship.

Not really, no. However much online, talking to others research you do it's not going to be able to cover everything, and everyone is different.

For us at this time of our life together as a family even though we had to leave our eldest adult child in the UK, yes it has been.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 9:22 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

1 & 2. We felt we were outgrowing New Zealand and needed to broaden our horizons. We'd always enjoyed holidays in Australia but knew they would be so much different to living there.

Australia is often portrayed in a negative light in New Zealand and it was very hard to overcome that conditioning. All the usual stuff about fires, heat, drought, poisonous animals, sharks, rampant crime (all those convict jibes that Aussies often attract) but we started kicking around the idea properly and doing the research.

We knew we wanted to come over as genuine, long term migrants, rather than on special category visas. It took a while and it was hard work but that was worth the effort as we now have citizenship and all of the security and benefits that brings. It felt good to make the commitment too. I wear my Aussie citizenship with pride.

Part of the research was extensive reading of this forum and listening to the stories of people who'd made the move successfully. I recall being particularly inspired by the posts of Ian&Sharon, and Buzzy Bee who'd achieved what we were aspiring to and appeared to be loving it here.

3. Permanently, no plans at all to return.

4. Yes, part of the research was visiting the areas we were interested in, assessing job opportunities, neighbourhoods, schools, climate etc. The sort of things that aren't easy to do when long distances are involved. That doesn't mean there wasn't a degree of culture shock, there was. But we were prepared for it and it quickly passed, but one of the things that took the most effort was getting used to Medicare and private health cover and how the two dovetail together. I think New Zealand's ACC system is simpler but wherever you go you ultimately get what you pay for, and part of that means having more choice. You pays your money.....

5. Yes. Absolutely the right decision and one that I'd make again, and I'd still head for Queensland. Second choice would be WA.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:06 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

thepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nice

We started thinking about it in 2004, I'd moved a couple of years previously to be with my partner and wasn't happy with where we were living so I decided to re-train in a job that interested me but was on skills shortage lists both in NZ and Australia. After some research we decided that NZ would suit us better.

Thought 2004, 5 years of professional training, 1+ years of work experience then we put in our EOI July 2012

We hope to stay

Only what we can glean from the internet, tv etc. We haven't been to NZ but are (hopefully) a little ready for the culture shock. We expect it to be hard at first.

So far yes, but ask us again in a year!

Last edited by thepinkone; Sep 21st 2012 at 10:09 am. Reason: spacing for ease of reading
Old Sep 24th 2012, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

1. About 10 years ago I thought about going to Canada then dropped the idea. I never thought about emigrating per-se.

2. In the summer of 2009 I had enough of the pressure, stress and crap that came with working in the recession ridden rat race in London and quit my job to go travelling for a year on a Round the World ticket. I originally left the UK October 2009....so that'll be 3 years next week!

3. No idea. Yesterday I was talking about staying forever, today I think that after a few years I'll go back and live in the UK for a few years.

4. Yes - I arrived in New Zealand in March 2011 on a Working Holiday Visa and felt very settled very quickly.

5. Yes - worst case scenario - been there, done that - tried it and got the t-shirt - can always go back to live in England again.

Old Sep 24th 2012, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

1. I was bored, I had a job I loved but hated the way I had to work in the UK and I knew there were more opportunities to work the way I wanted to in NZ. Really I just wanted to try something different

2. First thought about it at the end of 2009. Originally considered applying for PR with my ex partner then after we split changed to a work visa as it was way faster. Came over on a 3yr visa in Aug 2010 and now have PR.

3. I intend on staying permanently, dont even really plan on going back for a visit.

4. I had never been to NZ but did have a few friends over here already. I had a reasonable idea but I don't think you ever really know what its like to live somewhere till you actually do it.

5. I think I made the right decision coming to NZ although I've made a few bad decisions about where to live/work along the way.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 6:20 pm
JPA
Forum Regular

JPA is an unknown quantity at this point

Came to visit and fell in love. Tried to forget about it but could't. Then took redundancy and some cash, wanted a big change and realised we could make it happen.

Over the last 18 months until we finally decided to go for it in July this year. Hopefully we'll make it by next May. We have 3 months out there from december though!

Forever unless something really makes us want to come back, but Im struggling to imagine what that could be.

Yes we think we do, but there will be more surprises, but the challenge excites us. We really can't wait.

Ask us again in 2 years. For now, absolutely.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:16 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

1. the local police
2. while i was running away
3. not until after they stop looking
4. i'd seen the lord of the rings
5. well i appear much better looking here, which was an unexpected bonus..
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:22 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
1. the local police
2. while i was running away
3. not until after they stop looking
4. i'd seen the lord of the rings
5. well i appear much better looking here, which was an unexpected bonus..
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:27 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

1. wanted a change and was sick of the uk and wanted to get out
2. 2007
3. permantly, but might move within nz or somewhere else not the uk though.
4. sort of, had friends here
5. Yes even though i whinge sometimes
Old Sep 26th 2012, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

1. What made you first think about emigrating? The drabness
2. When did this happen? (Obviously the drivers are different now to 50-60 years ago!) 7 yrs ago
3. Did (do) you intend to stay permanently or go back after a few years? Yes
4. Did (do) you know what you are coming to? Sort of
5. Do you think you made the right decision? ish
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:13 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

work asked if I wanted to move to Ireland, then US, then H-K then Sing. We decided we didn't like any of those places/the packages....so thought how about Canada (too long), Aus (hard for me to work for state), NZ (looked OK)
We moved in early 2007
intended to give it 5 years, now intend to stay
nope, apart from forums and knowing a few Kiwis back in the UK we had no idea, never been here before
probably, but staying and not trying it out was the wrong decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.