Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why did YOU decide to leave and go to NZ

Why did YOU decide to leave and go to NZ

Old Jun 7th 2009, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light
Default Why did YOU decide to leave and go to NZ

Hi there, i'm just wondering why others out there decide to up and leave and start a new life on the other side of the world. Was it for a job, a better life style or maybe because you had this itch you just had to scratch. Are there people out there that still dont know why they left? I'm just interested to hear why others do it. I guess I'm just trying to put it all into perspective and hear other views of why. I'm in the process of leaving not exactly sure when tho but soon as in the next 2 months. I have no doubts in my mind and know that it is the best place for me and my young family. For me, its about quality of life and nz can provide that for us. I've had a few hiccups along the way but looking back on my life I can see that i've always liked doing things a bit different and loved adventure. Any thoughts or views on why you decided to go?
Old Jun 7th 2009, 10:30 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did YOU decide to leave and go to NZ

My old boss said "it might not be the right decision to go but not going is probably the wrong one"......and he was right.
We came because we got to a point in our lives where there would not be the same chance to do it again - my old man had bottled a move to Welly in the 70s and I was interested to find out what he/we had missed out on.
Plus we wanted the kids to have a different lifestyle, wanted to get away from keeping up with the Joneses and to see more of the world.
This has all worked and in spite of the ride being bumpy and there being lots of ties that still tug back towards the UK we are still here and having a good time (in spite of what some people read into my posts!).
Old Jun 7th 2009, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
Hi there, i'm just wondering why others out there decide to up and leave and start a new life on the other side of the world. Was it for a job, a better life style or maybe because you had this itch you just had to scratch. Are there people out there that still dont know why they left? I'm just interested to hear why others do it. I guess I'm just trying to put it all into perspective and hear other views of why. I'm in the process of leaving not exactly sure when tho but soon as in the next 2 months. I have no doubts in my mind and know that it is the best place for me and my young family. For me, its about quality of life and nz can provide that for us. I've had a few hiccups along the way but looking back on my life I can see that i've always liked doing things a bit different and loved adventure. Any thoughts or views on why you decided to go?
Cos blighty is no fun anymore. So divided, so negative, so sewn up.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Coz OH got offered a job here.... it was an adventure... everyone kept telling us to "go for it" or said "you lucky sods!" ... so we did, and 6 months later we were here.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

I'm with Lardyl in that there wasn't an overwhelming urge to leave the UK, i still love the old place, but all the ticks lined up (offered promotion to move or take VR so a move either way), figured that if i didn't try it then i'd regret not knowing, if it didn't work out then i can move where ever anyway!

I've been here for 3½ years now, still think of the UK as 'home' but it's all going well in the main (apart from just finding out that the site i work at is probably closing in the next month so i'll be redundant! ).
Old Jun 8th 2009, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoglet
Cos blighty is no fun anymore. So divided, so negative, so sewn up.
I agree .. sadly, it's true tho
Old Jun 8th 2009, 2:41 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Kids. And we could afford to.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
For us we knew we'd be way better off here.. no mortgage, work less hours, better home and neighbourhood etc. We also hated the crowds of the UK. We wanted what we thought (and we think we were right) would be a better life for our kids. We wanted to be close to a beach..not 4 hours away. We wanted some exitement and a new start. Its been wonderful for us even with all the ups and downs and the many problems we have had. Not an easy thing to do but well worth the bother from our perspective.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 3:52 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Seemed like a good Idea at the time , no seriously wanted a better lifestyle, hardly any mortgage, something different , although I find it a bit boring at times, and miss the crowds and vibrancy of the UK at times, but that may be due to me having no job at the moment, so bored.

Anyway off to the UK on Friday for a visit for two weeks so I will let you know how it goes I will certainly be partying it up I can tell you
Old Jun 8th 2009, 4:03 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Loved NZ after a 3 week holiday here, wanted to move to a bigger place, fancied a change...

...then I found out the cats could come too and filled out the EOI that day
Old Jun 8th 2009, 4:09 am
BOP
Just Joined

BOP is on a distinguished road

Beach Life
Old Jun 8th 2009, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

I love the UK country and I didn't like the way the UK was, crime level, children growing up too fast using knives and crime is everywhere, feeling scared to walk the streets not only at night but sometimes during the day. The places I would like to live in UK we couldn't afford and the ones we can afford we don't want to live. We are out door people and having the out door life here free to stop and enjoy is great. The kids schools in UK were getting very PC and targets for children were being pushed every week, here they are children and my two love it running around and even walking to school at an age I would never let happen in UK.

So far it's everything we want it to be and we are glad we made the move, it's early days for us, but so far so good.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Lived here as a kid, the UK OE had gone on too long and I had run out of reasons making me stay in the UK. Plus, it's a nicer place to bring up kids
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

To move 12000 miles away from my mother
Old Jun 8th 2009, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

I originally was interested in going to Canada, but for various reasons changed mind. U.K. may change at some point, but right now it is not the place it once was. Plus looking forward to aquaint myself with Weta bugs, White tail spiders etc!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.