Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why are/did you choose NZ vs OZ or anywhere else?

Why are/did you choose NZ vs OZ or anywhere else?

Old Feb 9th 2013, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are/did you choose NZ vs OZ or anywhere else?

Just about the right distance from the mother and the in-laws!!
Old Feb 9th 2013, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobDon
Just about the right distance from the mother and the in-laws!!
I know that feeling too. Though the in-laws are still too close for my liking. I wish I could send them into deep space without any breathing equipment - they have made being nasty into an artform.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 10:29 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Because moving to NZ seemed a good idea at the time
Applies to us too, just thought, 'why not?'

Been happy here ever since.....
Old Feb 9th 2013, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
Do you guys think you would of still came over if you were in your 20's if you had the chance?
Each generation moves on and expects / or at least anticipates a lifestyle better than that of their parents. I think you need to ask this of people your own age around you, closer to home. Most on here are well past their twenties and with that comes a different economic climate and totally different environment around them. I was in my twenties late eighties, early nineties - neither I nor any of my friends aspired to living a life of austerity and domestic 'bliss' of the 1970s that we had seen our mothers live through.

Nope having money in our pockets, a life of our own, careers in sight, clubbing, shopping, holidays and seeing the world were more where me and my friends were at.

I would have died of boredom and committed hari kari if I had to live here in my twenties and now being well into my forty somethings I still struggle with being thrust back into the 1970s, surrounded by that same feeling of domesticity and hardship that our parents had, being always expected to be mother and/or camp leader, swapping recipes, baking cupcakes, gardening and making jam.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
Do you guys think you would of still came over if you were in your 20's if you had the chance?
No. NZ wasn't on my mind when I was 20. I would have been bored shitless. My focus was on the US when I was 20. Bigger European and North American cites were - and still are- more my taste. I am happy to soon leave the never ending DIY, my house, and my children discussions behind me.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
No. NZ wasn't on my mind when I was 20. I would have been bored shitless. My focus was on the US when I was 20. Bigger European and North American cites were - and still are- more my taste. I am happy to soon leave the never ending DIY, my house, and my children discussions behind me.
No, I too would not have come here in my 20s. I fully expect that my 3 children will 'do one' once their education in NZ is over. Life is way too short to be in NZ for an extended period of time unless you have done your OE or you are an old, boring bastard like me.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
No, I too would not have come here in my 20s. I fully expect that my 3 children will 'do one' once their education in NZ is over. Life is way too short to be in NZ for an extended period of time unless you have done your OE or you are an old, boring bastard like me.
Talking of boring old bastards, we were at a 'Bistro' / Cafe sort of place for dinner and a glass of wine yesterday and after we had settled at the table, done the deciding and ordering palaver, I started to look around and take stock of the other diners. Honestly it freaked me out, I thought we had joined a SAGA convention. I'm sure I was the only one under 55.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I agree, NZ would have bored me to death in my twenties, I've mentioned it to my kiwi work mates before and they just don't understand. The gigs, football away games, clubbing, nights out in places like Leeds, Sheff n Manc, weekends in London, wild holidays to the med and constantly evolving youth culture. I'd have hated missing out on that.

I'm mid 30's and I'm the oldest at work by a country mile, they keep organising work nights out, all they ever want to do is go to restaurants. I refuse to go. Hasn't ever and will never interest me, probably for all the reasons listed above.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the comments guys. Sorry catchafire i hope you didnt mind me asking, i just wanted peoples experiences/opinions. If one of the mods want to remove it to make it a seperate thread then im fine with that.

Im not the clubbing or 18 to 30 type of person so i wouldnt miss that. Dont get me wrong - i like a laugh and a drink. Like assanah - i have a strong urge to see different places in america and i just dont think it would be possible from new zealand (for us).

I do also really want to experience new zealand and oz (more than just a holiday) so just need to decide wether we give it a shot for a year or two just for the experience or wether we do everything we want to do this side of the world and then try it out over there. Hope that makes sense?
Old Feb 10th 2013, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Auck born and bred, spent a loooong time in the UK and am back here with my UK husband and daughter.

I spent my teens and half my twenties in Auckland (before going to the UK) and had a brilliant time. We went out clubbing, to bars etc. We had a fantastic time. Gigs, parties etc. That was the '80s / 90s.

There is even more out there now. I think this 'hick' reputation for other towns shouldn't be put upon Auck.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland probably has the most tame nightlife as any other similar sized city I've ever been to, there's one proper live music venue and a few places like Viaduct, Vulcan & K Road with small clusters of bars but nothing worth writing home about. I enjoyed going out for a drink in town (Auck) when we lived there but it's pretty ordinary by most other places I've ever been.

As I always say, I didn't come to NZ for the nightlife, nobody comes to NZ for the nightlife.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Don't confuse Auck with Auck City. There was always plenty going on in West Auck when I was growing up. Plenty of bars and gigs in smaller venues etc out East and on the North Shore. South Auck? Hmmm, not so sure. But as you said, nobody comes for the nightlife. I certainly didn't move back for that.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Haha, Genesis. Nice description of yourself. Boring is of course a matter of personal opinion. And I have met many old bastards that are not at all boring.

And I wouldn't want to live permanently in NZ ever, even after having done my OE and not even when I will be retired. I am not planning on spending my time on lonely beaches, fishing, discussion DIY, hiking, beach, fishing, hiking and so on for the rest of my life. I am planning on traveling, visiting exhibitions, meeting new people, getting to know new cultures, visiting lectures, theaters, indulging in arts and history and occasionally beaches, hiking and DIY. And I like people. I want them around even if it is annoying sometimes. I love my family and want to spend as much time as possible with them before they or I are finally gone! I don't want to be isolated and Skype isn't enough for me. So Europe is a much better fit for me.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Haha, Genesis. Nice description of yourself. Boring is of course a matter of personal opinion. And I have met many old bastards that are not at all boring.

And I wouldn't want to live permanently in NZ ever, even after having done my OE and not even when I will be retired. I am not planning on spending my time on lonely beaches, fishing, discussion DIY, hiking, beach, fishing, hiking and so on for the rest of my life. I am planning on traveling, visiting exhibitions, meeting new people, getting to know new cultures, visiting lectures, theaters, indulging in arts and history and occasionally beaches, hiking and DIY. And I like people. I want them around even if it is annoying sometimes. I love my family and want to spend as much time as possible with them before they or I are finally gone! I don't want to be isolated and Skype isn't enough for me. So Europe is a much better fit for me.

Sounds like your going back to a good life! Are you going back to germany or a different country? I had a work colleague from germany, hamburg i think. I think she misses it a lot, always putting things up on facebook about it. Germany looks nice, i honestly dont know why i havent visited yet - its so near!
Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by marblep
Don't confuse Auck with Auck City. There was always plenty going on in West Auck when I was growing up. Plenty of bars and gigs in smaller venues etc out East and on the North Shore. South Auck? Hmmm, not so sure. But as you said, nobody comes for the nightlife. I certainly didn't move back for that.
I never was much into nightlife even in my 20s. However, when many people live close to each other things start to evolve, there is a life and vibrancy and dynamic that makes cities great. I care about the intellectual and cultural life, the 'limitlessness' of thinking and the creative mind of city people. Auckland has none of this. It is a country town where you can enjoy a quite life at a nice beach watching nice sunsets and the occasional beer and gig in your neighbor hood bar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.