Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why did we move to NZ?

Why did we move to NZ?

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why did we move to NZ?

To be away from the crowds.

To be away from what we see as mainstream life

To give what we thought would be a better environment for our kids

To be better off in both money and lifestyle terms..both achieved

To have empty beaches minutes away rather than hours..making them a weekly attraction if we want rather than an annual one.

To live in one of the most beautiful countries on earth

To live in a western country with a different persepective on life compared to most other western nations.

I like the feeling of our global isolation..kind of feels safer here than anywhere else

Empty beaches

That slightly backward feel NZ has..never really up there with modernity

Freindly folk in the main

I live in a town with a pop. of 75k..it feels like a village..bloody narvellous.

Excellent food, hunting tramping and fishing on my doorstep (i'll do the latter one day) as well as world class skiing.

Because we needed a change

And we wanted adventure.

The south Island is only down the road....even more isolation and extreme beauty!!!!

NZ rocks nice and quietly. If its your scene you will love it!!!!!!!

Last edited by Genesis; Sep 23rd 2008 at 11:51 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:25 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did we move to NZ?

Good post mate - Tick those boxes NO and YES

To be away from the crowds.
To be away from what we see as mainstream life
To give what we thought would be a better environment for our kids
To be better off in both money and lifestyle terms..both achieved - hell no!
To have empty beaches minutes away rather than hours..making them a weekly attraction if we want rather than an annual one.
To live in one of the most beautiful countries on earth
To live in a western country with a different persepective on life compared to most other western nations.
I like the feeling of our global isolation..kind of feels safer here than anywhere else
Empty beaches
That slightly backward feel NZ has..never really up there with modernity
Freindly folk in the main

I live in a town with a pop. of 75k..it feels like a village..bloody narvellous.
Excellent food, hunting tramping and fishing on my doorstep (i'll do the latter one day) as well as world class skiing.
Because we needed a change
And we wanted adventure.
The south Island is only down the road....even more isolation and extreme beauty!!!!
NZ rocks nice and quietly. If its your scene you will love it!!!!!!!
OK add some more to the above:

Speako the lingo
No nuclear power/weapons
Good solid rainfall
Low population density
Lots of renewables
Decent, strong agricultural base
Sheep
I love lamb
Sheep and velcro gloves
I adore mint sauce
Easy to emigrate to compared with Canada and Oz
I could work in the state forensic labs without having to be a sworn law enforcement officer
My old man passed up on the chance and I wanted to show him what he missed - worked as he is due back for another 3 month holiday soon!
Outdoors
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:40 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
Good post mate - Tick those boxes NO and YES

OK add some more to the above:

Speako the lingo
No nuclear power/weapons
Good solid rainfall
Low population density
Lots of renewables
Decent, strong agricultural base
Sheep
I love lamb
Sheep and velcro gloves
I adore mint sauce
Easy to emigrate to compared with Canada and Oz
I could work in the state forensic labs without having to be a sworn law enforcement officer
My old man passed up on the chance and I wanted to show him what he missed - worked as he is due back for another 3 month holiday soon!
Outdoors
Easy to emigrate there? Are you referring to the requirements that you need in order to emigrate there or the actual time it takes?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:48 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Easy to emigrate there? Are you referring to the requirements that you need in order to emigrate there or the actual time it takes?
age requirements, requirements to practice your profession (ie work) and the general immigration process.
for us it was extremely quick and painless.....not so for others I know of course.....but if you have the quals/experience and a job offer the thing can be over in a few months.
AFIK Canada has a reputation of being slow.....and those already qualified in a field having to take more courses and exams, eg dentists, I have been told often that ehy have to re-sit exams and do courses.....
In Canada and to a lesser extent in Oz *my* work opportunities would be limited - have to be Professional Engineer to do my work in Canada and in Oz the market is stitched up and to be a forensic scientist in many states (not all though) you ahve to be a serving officer for 2 years - dont want to be a cop for 2 years thanks......
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:13 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

age requirements, requirements to practice your profession (ie work) and the general immigration process.
for us it was extremely quick and painless.....not so for others I know of course.....but if you have the quals/experience and a job offer the thing can be over in a few months.
AFIK Canada has a reputation of being slow.....and those already qualified in a field having to take more courses and exams, eg dentists, I have been told often that ehy have to re-sit exams and do courses.....
In Canada and to a lesser extent in Oz *my* work opportunities would be limited - have to be Professional Engineer to do my work in Canada and in Oz the market is stitched up and to be a forensic scientist in many states (not all though) you ahve to be a serving officer for 2 years - dont want to be a cop for 2 years thanks......
Did read that if you are eligible and scored well on the points then the process can be relatively quick unlike the crappy Canadian process where they are talking 4-7 years and thats if you are lucky!!! Was actually thinking of studying something in NZ at college or university (mature student) in an area where there is a genuine demand, any suggestions? I know quite often going somewhere to study can make the emigration procedure a lot easier especially if you land a job quite quickly after finishing the course.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:19 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Did read that if you are eligible and scored well on the points then the process can be relatively quick unlike the crappy Canadian process where they are talking 4-7 years and thats if you are lucky!!! Was actually thinking of studying something in NZ at college or university (mature student) in an area where there is a genuine demand, any suggestions? I know quite often going somewhere to study can make the emigration procedure a lot easier especially if you land a job quite quickly after finishing the course.
mmm....not sure, Auckland and Otago Unis are the "best".
But what to study??? What will be an in demand filed in 3 or 4 years?? Can you afford overseas fees??
Some people have gone for the Open Poly (kinda the Open University) route, studying from home, but they have had PR first. Would make it cheaper.
Probably best to study in the UK first on a "demand" course, eg nursing, etc and then get a job and a work permit before doing work-to-residence.
Others may have more useful advice - good luck though! LL
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many times this question has now been asked...........
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:42 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by crap coffee
not as often as "what are you doing *still* up Libby???"

nite nite hun
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:43 pm
you dewty owld maan!

seriously though - when we first arrived lots of Kiwis asked us why we came - seemed like most of them had to suppress a giggle when we said "the kids"......
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

not as often as "what are you doing *still* up Libby???"

nite nite hun

cooking for 6 hours, making Yoghurt, and then washing dishes for 2 hours and now am having cuppa ? at 1.30 a.m. and then get up at 6.30 a.m ? hahaha. it's not FUn mate.. to be honest........along with the weather in Welly... It really gets me - (particulary) today. I am usually fine with the crap weather though. while I was cooking tonight I asked myself this Q - Could the UK weather be worse than this: (windy) Welly? .........don't think so........

Why did I move to NZ?

I didn't.

ask my Dad why he moved to NZ

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 23rd 2008 at 3:03 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:29 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

mmm....not sure, Auckland and Otago Unis are the "best".
But what to study??? What will be an in demand filed in 3 or 4 years?? Can you afford overseas fees??
Some people have gone for the Open Poly (kinda the Open University) route, studying from home, but they have had PR first. Would make it cheaper.
Probably best to study in the UK first on a "demand" course, eg nursing, etc and then get a job and a work permit before doing work-to-residence.
Others may have more useful advice - good luck though! LL
Overseas fees are always at least double what a resident pays and doing a post graduate course is often linked in with employment experience and potential job offers if the course is chosen well.

Usually Open University doesn`t really help you in giving you points etc well in Canada`s case no. The advantage of studying in your destination country is that you get to live in your chosen country quite quickly
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

It is a token to replace Yve's one that was shut down due to, well lets not go there. CC there are also many newbies since the last time this was done. Anyways ulitimately there are only that many subjects that can be discussed..there are bound to be repeats.

Like on TV you can always switch off or turn to another channel
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:22 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Genesis
It is a token to replace Yve's one that was shut down due to, well lets not go there. CC there are also many newbies since the last time this was done. Anyways ulitimately there are only that many subjects that can be discussed..there are bound to be repeats.

Like on TV you can always switch off or turn to another channel
also our lives in our new home are pretty organic, so we learn what we are gaining and losing and perspectives change, clouds lift and fall and we also have this odd tendancy, we continue to grow and gain experience as we live......
what I want to know is why am I getting up at 545am after going to bed at 215??
will I ever learn???
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 6:27 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Why did I move to NZ?

I didn't.

ask my Dad why he moved to NZ
you need a dishwasher hun.....

odd that we came partly to show my dad that it could be done.....and you're in the opposite boat, in an odd sort of way.....

anyway back to:
Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life
...for me.....it might help to show my why I am *here*...

call me happy clappy, bible bashy but when all hell breaks loose in your life you re-discover the basics......
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Sheep and velcro gloves
I adore mint sauce
You nearly got away with it.............

Does the sheep's face look like....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.