Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why become a kiwi citizen?

Why become a kiwi citizen?

Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why become a kiwi citizen?

Because a UK passport costs about $350nz!!!!!!!! A kiwi one $150!! When you have 5 to buy its 'bye bye UK passport'. We are applying for citizenship now. They say 4 months process time..anyone got it sooner. We need our shiny new PPs for travel end of November. By the way if you need a UK passport you can now apply from a main Postshop in NZ. We got our PR on 6th June 2005..one assumes you can submit the paperwork a few weeks before the event seeing as they take ages to process? By the way they will and can drop the five year period up to 450 days for extenuating circumstances..what ever they may be.

Last edited by Genesis; Apr 27th 2010 at 11:20 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice
Default Re: Why become a kiwi citizen?

We have just downloaded the forms and filling them in now, sadly I can't remember the year of my dads birth, and he is no longer with us
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Might be worth adding

Cost of Grant of NZ Citizenship Adult $460
Cost of Grant of NZ Citizenship Child $230 (under 16)

Always good to gain citizenship of the country you intend to work, rest & play for the rest of your days IMO
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:10 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dubstar
We have just downloaded the forms and filling them in now, sadly I can't remember the year of my dads birth, and he is no longer with us
You can find this from the UK BMD records Dubstar or calculate from his death cert.

I subscribe to a BMD on-line search website. If you wish, I can try to find this for you but I would need some details.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubstar
Please may I ask have you 'done' the 5 years exactly or are you applying a wee bit early like us?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

Thanks Bev,

I worked it out he was 53 when he died in 2000 I think the question just caught me off guard
Old Apr 27th 2010, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Genesis
Please may I ask have you 'done' the 5 years exactly or are you applying a wee bit early like us?
well we arrived in Sept 04 on a "talent" visa and applied for residency in April 05 got it on 18 may 05, so we are between the devil and deep blue sea, we missed the 3 year application by 3 weeks, so putting it in now and see what happens,

Just hoping they don't keep our money and refuse us saying we are too early

Last edited by dubstar; Apr 27th 2010 at 11:33 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:24 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

There is actually very little difference in price if you compare cost/year and want a current passport that would enable you to travel at short notice-only about $2/yr per passport. NZ one is cheaper if you can wait until the end of the 5yr period before renewing [about $4/year cheaper assuming no price increase]. Though for 5 passports the cost would start to add up over 10years...

The NZ passport only lasts for 5 years and the UK one for 10 years. If you renew a UK passport before it has expired then the time remaining is added onto your new passport [up to 9months] so you do get the full 10 years. This isn't done when you apply for a NZ passport, it runs 5y from the date of application. Since many countries require you to have at least 6m remaining on your passport when you travel this cuts down its length to under 4.5y if you want to be able to use the passport during this time. Even less time if you add in application time and in some cases holiday time Something to bear in mind if you want a couple of nights in say Singapore on the way to or from the UK
So NZ is cheaper if you avoid certain countries and/or don't travel within 8m or so of your NZ passport expiring

I had way too much time on my hands when Mr Sue got his new NZ passport last month and decided to work out whether it was cheaper

Good luck with the citizenship Genesis, where are you off to?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It shouldn't be about whether it's cheaper or not. It's about whether you want to belong to New Zealand or remain a foreigner.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:57 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It shouldn't be about whether it's cheaper or not. It's about whether you want to belong to New Zealand or remain a foreigner.
That's not quite how I meant it! I will look at becoming a citizen when my time comes. Got a few years yet.
Merely pointing out that the cost is not really that different between the two passports even though it may appear to be at first glance.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Persephone
That's not quite how I meant it! I will look at becoming a citizen when my time comes. Got a few years yet.
Merely pointing out that the cost is not really that different between the two passports even though it may appear to be at first glance.

I'll get my coat..I thought they were both a standard 10 years. So the UK passport looks waaaay better aye for a fraction more cost wise? Maybe I will just get a UK one and have done with it. Plenty of time to become a citizen aye? Thanks for pointing that out Sue. Going to hopefully as follows. Kates taking 8 weeks unpaid and we start with Hawaii for 5 days, Devon/Bath for 4 weeks, an apartment in London for 1 week and ditto Paris for Eurodisney et al. Was going to do a stop over on the way back in Singapore but frankly I think with three under 10s in tow its best to repair to Palmy ASAP apres gay Paris.

Last edited by Genesis; Apr 28th 2010 at 4:14 am.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Cost of passports is trivial compared to the cost of travel overall, so I find it amusing to see how some people get worked up about this.

It is the case that getting a British passport overseas now involves a lot of hassle (plenty of horror stories on forums about applications returned on a whim, long processing times, premium rate so-called "helplines" that don't offer meaningful information, etc ... )

By all means keep a British passport as a backup but those who do become New Zealand citizens should usually find the process of obtaining a New Zealand passport (in NZ) a lot less stressful.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:39 am
Queen of the Underworld

I suppose I only know they only last 5 years because of Mr Sue. I feel such a nerd for actually bothering to work out the costs but I was out of work at the time and had way too much free time It was more to relieve boredom and never thought it would actually come in useful...
Not sure that the UK one is better, you just wouldn't need to apply so often and the addition of remaining time does mean you get 10y. Mr Sue's passport usually only lasts for 4y and about 2-3m since he needs one in case he has to travel at short notice. He's jealous as mine is current for 10y9m in total.

Sounds like you've got a great holiday planned, any room for me? I'd fit in a suitcase, I'm only little
Singapore is lovely though might be a little hot for the little ones perhaps?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Cost of passports is trivial compared to the cost of travel overall, so I find it amusing to see how some people get worked up about this.

It is the case that getting a British passport overseas now involves a lot of hassle (plenty of horror stories on forums about applications returned on a whim, long processing times, premium rate so-called "helplines" that don't offer meaningful information, etc ... )

By all means keep a British passport as a backup but those who do become New Zealand citizens should usually find the process of obtaining a New Zealand passport (in NZ) a lot less stressful.
I was annoyed that it looked like a Uk passport was twice the $ of an NZ one..Sue has clearly pointed out this is not the case and I got my coat!! Getting a UK passport in NZ is easy as now as I mentioned earlier they can be applied for over a post office counter.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Persephone
I suppose I only know they only last 5 years because of Mr Sue. I feel such a nerd for actually bothering to work out the costs but I was out of work at the time and had way too much free time It was more to relieve boredom and never thought it would actually come in useful...
Not sure that the UK one is better, you just wouldn't need to apply so often and the addition of remaining time does mean you get 10y. Mr Sue's passport usually only lasts for 4y and about 2-3m since he needs one in case he has to travel at short notice. He's jealous as mine is current for 10y9m in total.

Sounds like you've got a great holiday planned, any room for me? I'd fit in a suitcase, I'm only little
Singapore is lovely though might be a little hot for the little ones perhaps?
Sue its the kind of thing I work out too..got to make those pennies go as far as possible aye? I will let you know of any cubic inches free in our luggage!! As for Singapore agree with you on that front..3 tired little ones, excessive heat AND humidity do not bode well!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.