Why is it.....

Old Jul 26th 2010, 8:42 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is it.....

FYI, BE is not just for British Expats. Ask the administrator if you want verification. I have as much right to be here as you do.

I think it's fascinating that apparently some of you can give it, but not take it. The reactions I'm getting are WAY over the top imo.

I don't compare murders and decide which ones are more important. Why would I? It seems a lot of people here do, for some reason which I don't understand. The overall line from some expats seems to be that they think they have the right to decide what is or is not important in another country. I think that's arrogant. Of course the RW did not kill as many people as <insert name of incident here> but that's not the point.

And I'll take smarmy over sanctimonious bs, like some of the posts in this thread, ANY day. Sanctimonious people make me puke.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jul 26th 2010 at 8:44 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

You are right you have as much right as anyone to be here

But the below statement is insulting and at the very least flippant, as a nation we have had numerous acts of terrorisim waged on our soil ranging from the Birmingham pub bombings to off duty police officers being murdered by PIRA whilst shopping with their children.

We are now at risk from home grown terrorists

The Below statement is offensive and yes some Brits do keep a stiff upper lip some dont. The statement was bound to provoke a responce weather that was your intention or not.

May i suggest you Educate yourself or at the very least think what you say

"I seem to remember there was a commemoration ceremony recently for the london bombings...I guess people aren't 'done with it' yet. They obviously forgot their stiff upper lips somewhere?"
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
FYI, BE is not just for British Expats. Ask the administrator if you want verification. I have as much right to be here as you do.

I think it's fascinating that apparently some of you can give it, but not take it. The reactions I'm getting are WAY over the top imo.

I don't compare murders and decide which ones are more important. Why would I? It seems a lot of people here do, for some reason which I don't understand. The overall line from some expats seems to be that they think they have the right to decide what is or is not important in another country. I think that's arrogant. Of course the RW did not kill as many people as but that's not the point.

And I'll take smarmy over sanctimonious bs, like some of the posts in this thread, ANY day. Sanctimonious people make me puke.
Most posters would not make a crass disrespectful remarks over the grieving of many people that were effected by the London bombings, making fun of them.

You must be a bitter twisted person if you think that is in good taste.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

The overall line from some expats seems to be that they think they have the right to decide what is or is not important in another country. I think that's arrogant.
When you live in that country you have as much right as anyone else.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 11:08 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

The difference with the RBW was that the act was directed against the ship, not people. It was a tragedy that someone happened to be aboard and was killed in the explosion.

In the London bombings the sole intention was to indiscriminately kill and maim as many innocent people as possible. One of the people who died on a bus was an Israeli woman who never travelled on buses in her home country because of her fear of suicide bombers. Yet she is remembered in these memorials every bit as much as the British people who were killed.

Kiwilass you suggest that British people get-over their bombings and develop a 'stiff-upper-lip' but you have no similar sentiment for the RBW sinking, which is a festering sore that is constantly picked at in NZ.

If you suggested to people back in NZ that they 'get over it' you'd be lynched, why should it be any different for the British?

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Jul 27th 2010 at 12:28 am.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 11:15 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

The overall line from some expats seems to be that they think they have the right to decide what is or is not important in another country. I think that's arrogant.
Why do you consider that to be arrogant?

Expats pay their taxes, vote in elections and sometimes form the majority group in many parts of both New Zealand and Britain. To suggest that they have no part in the running of a country that they've made a commitment to, and contribute to, is illogical.

One could say that they have a greater part to play in deciding what is important in that country than the local people who have upped and left it?
Old Jul 26th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Lost, sorry.
NURSE!!

This one has strayed a little too far!

Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

squarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jmh
One thing I would mention that I think is sometimes not noticed by Brits. Kiwis are not likely to be critical to your face so when you think they have no opinion on a subject they probably do, but they just don't tell you about it.
I've only just read through the thread, and this paragraph had me in bits.

You really need to come and spend a day at work with me, the kiwis I work with are the most non PC people I've ever met - and I'm convinced the general public are a complete bunch of nutters.

I do laugh a lot though, and they're an absolute tonic. I never look forward to work in the morning, but I laugh out loud every day and often get funny looks from other drivers on the way home because I'm chuckling to myself at the lights.

If I repeated even a fraction of what I hear every day from customers and colleagues alike, I'd be chased off this site by villagers with pitchforks!

It's no one social group or race either, it's mostly kiwis bashing other kiwis and everyone bashing National.