Why?

Old Jan 15th 2006, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future
Default Why?

I was just trawling my way through old posts on here, and it occured to me that some people believe everything that everyone says. Some have even decided not to live in nz on the basis of a few negative posts!

This is stupid imo as everyones' experiences are different. To someone who has experienced many financial hardships in nz; or who finds being away from friends or relatives nz may become a sh******. Likewise, someone who likes living in nz may think of it as paradise - even if it isn't.

Everyone is blinded by their own experiences. For example, If I worked in Wellington and found my workmates to be inconsiderate tossers my experiences might mean that I would form a bad opinion of nzers in general. However, this would not validate such crude generalisations.

I guess I'm trying to say - why do people trust people's experiences of nz when everyone's different anyway? You have to experience things for yourself.

Last edited by tottefan; Jan 15th 2006 at 3:25 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 5:25 pm
MRJ

Pampellone is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Why?

Originally Posted by tottefan
I was just trawling my way through old posts on here, and it occured to me that some people believe everything that everyone says. Some have even decided not to live in nz on the basis of a few negative posts!

This is stupid imo as everyones' experiences are different. To someone who has experienced many financial hardships in nz; or who finds being away from friends or relatives nz may become a sh******. Likewise, someone who likes living in nz may think of it as paradise - even if it isn't.

Everyone is blinded by their own experiences. For example, If I worked in Wellington and found my workmates to be inconsiderate tossers my experiences might mean that I would form a bad opinion of nzers in general. However, this would not validate such crude generalisations.

I guess I'm trying to say - why do people trust people's experiences of nz when everyone's different anyway? You have to experience things for yourself.

a person after my own heart - Have you travelled before? If I had listened to all the negatives "Don't do it on a wage of $44,000" + "Auckland is a really expensive place for a family" ,I would be stuck in London all my life and my children would never know what the rest of the world has to offer - I personally am very exicited with the adventure ahead
Old Jan 15th 2006, 5:29 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why?

Totally agree one one hand but on the other some of the experiences are becoming more and more common.

We were very fortunate and made some fab friends, mostly Kiwis, but Im afraid we were skint so couldnt make it work. We never in a minute missed the UK but what I did miss was the safety net that you have in the UK when your back is up against the wall.

When you are on your downers it can be a very lonely place.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by scottish
Totally agree one one hand but on the other some of the experiences are becoming more and more common.

We were very fortunate and made some fab friends, mostly Kiwis, but Im afraid we were skint so couldnt make it work. We never in a minute missed the UK but what I did miss was the safety net that you have in the UK when your back is up against the wall.

When you are on your downers it can be a very lonely place.
In which case moving back to the uk was definitely the right thing for you.

Everyone's different. I've spoken to some people who love living in London because they think it's vibrant, exciting and there's so much to do. Others think of it as a shithole.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:37 pm
livewire

Come on over Tottefan and try it for yourself. Nothin like a bit of first hand experience to broaden the mind.

Old Jan 18th 2006, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by livewire
Come on over Tottefan and try it for yourself. Nothin like a bit of first hand experience to broaden the mind.
I'm definitely going to give it a go, but from reading this forum, and many others, I now realise that I will be in a much better position when I've got some capital to take with me.

I also want to be a Chartered Accountant when I finish uni. The British CA institutes are more Internationally respected than the nz version. I would also have trouble getting a job as I currently have no work experience.

I want to go there knowing that I can at least give it a go. I reckon it'll take between 4-4.5 years but it'll be better in the long run.

Tottefan.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:43 am
livewire

Well good luck to you, its good to have a goal to work towards. Will you still have to repay a student loan if you go abroad?

Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I think those that are determined to go wont allow a few negative posts to deter them, they will just use the information to their advantage and be more aware of the pitfalls. Those that suddenly decide not to emigrate because of a forum, honestly I think you have to question whether they were really that serious anyway. Lets face it its a big decision to make and once made some people look for excuses not to do something so that they can get out of it without losing face. Thats not a criticism of these people, its just not for everyone. I wouldn't take it to heart.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why?

I suppose to try to answer the thread topic which is “Why” the response must be something along the line of being human nature.

We all like to moan, especially me, and we will finds the most and least items to moan about, it’s just our make-up and the way we are.

Of course there are moans…………..genuine moans and there are other moans of Get a Grip type nature…………sort out the wheat from the chaff and make your own mind up.

For me the genuine moans would be of expensive country and poor salaries, but I would answer by stating little or no background research was performed to be in such a sorry state.

The Get a Grip nature revolves around no Walkers crisps and Bisto gravy granules.

There’s always the offer of a free lift to the airport………………
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why?

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I think those that are determined to go wont allow a few negative posts to deter them, they will just use the information to their advantage and be more aware of the pitfalls. Those that suddenly decide not to emigrate because of a forum, honestly I think you have to question whether they were really that serious anyway. Lets face it its a big decision to make and once made some people look for excuses not to do something so that they can get out of it without losing face. Thats not a criticism of these people, its just not for everyone. I wouldn't take it to heart.
Good post.

I think the term is rationalization.

Similar to when you go to an interview and don’t get the job you have applied for.

The response usually is (certainly mine is) bugger it I did not want the job anyway, crap boss, crap salary and crap T’s & C’s etc etc..................... makes me feel better!

Last edited by Nice Guy; Jan 18th 2006 at 5:17 am. Reason: Another bloody typo! (twice!!!)
Old Jan 18th 2006, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Will you still have to repay a student loan if you go abroad?
No. I commute to uni. It's a bloody long way but it seems stupid to get into debt when I only have to be there about 75 days a year. Personally, I'd rather feel knackered through doing lots of travelling but be debt free when I've completed my degree course.

Tottefan.