British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Who's up for a beer in or around Auckland CBD? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/whos-up-beer-around-auckland-cbd-711382/)

craigjohnstone Mar 29th 2011 11:15 pm

Who's up for a beer in or around Auckland CBD?

Hi

My wife and I (40 and 39) with no kids (at least not that I know of) moved to Auckland 3 weeks ago and are living down in Viaduct Harbour for the next 2 months until our stuff arrives. Had a blast so far but looking to start meeting up with people for a few drinks and a laugh.

My wife is from Canada and I'm from Scotland but we've spent the last 7 years living in Bolton. (Now if that's not enough information to keep at least the first get together going for an hour, I don't know what will.)

Any takers?

Craig

drcallycat Mar 31st 2011 4:21 am

Re: Who's up for a beer in or around Auckland CBD?

Hi there - My husband and I have been here just over a year. He's from Wirral and I'm from Leeds. Would love to meet up for drinks but actually going back to UK for a 2 week 'holiday' next week, so wouldn't be till after Easter now. We're in Mission bay area. Clare & Jim x

craigjohnstone Mar 31st 2011 6:15 am

Clare & Jim

Thanks very much for your response - always curious when you send such a vague note out as to whether anyone will bite, but always worth a try!

Our calendar is alot less busy at this stage than yours over the next few weeks so by all means drop us a note when you are back and we can arrange a time to meet up. Ironically enough, Mission Bay is one of the areas that we are looking at for rented accommodation In May when our stuff arrives.

Looking forward to hearing from you and have a safe trip.

Craig & Ann-Marie

LukeandJo Mar 31st 2011 10:41 am

We are around from the middle of April and will go for a beer.
Sure there must be some Wine and Food festival going on.

nelsonpom Mar 31st 2011 7:24 pm

My wife and I will be moving to Auckland in June after 4.5 years in nelson and another year in welly and would love to meet some new folks. :D

MattandJax Apr 1st 2011 10:53 pm

hi<
we're always up for a saturday night out! any weekend except Easter.
will keep and eye on this thread, but feel free to PM us with dates and times etc...

oh and we're ex Mancunians...

cheers
M&J

anniiee Apr 2nd 2011 6:36 pm

Hi we've been here 18 months now, we live in Waitakere and could meet up one Sat night around the viatduct.
I'll keep an eye out for the date and time :thumbup:

westiehaggis Apr 9th 2011 9:57 pm

Hi Craig and Ann Marie,

My husband Stewart and I are always keen to meet new people too and are both 40 too.. Stewie is Scottish, from Fife and has been here about 7 years, I am from Auckland, half irish, as parents born there, so a good combination! lol.. Are you and your wife staying in NZ for awhile? How are you enjoying it so far?

We live in west Auckland and both work in the city, so if you want to catch up for a drink sometime, that would be cool!

Cheers
Paula & Stewie

craigjohnstone Apr 10th 2011 11:38 pm

All

Glad too see the number of responses to this thread rising by the day. Had no real expectation whatsoever of how many would actually respond.

Looks like a good mix of ages, nationalities and backgrounds is up for doing something. Thoughts are even drifting towards re-creating a 'Going for Gold - UK regions' gameshow for the first meet up. Is Henry Kelly still alive?

I'll be in touch over the next few days to see if anyone is about and up for doing something before Easter aswell as after. Happy for anyone to beat me to it. Work is still quiet at the moment for myself and my wife is still going through interviews so free time is a plenty for us at the mo.

Craig

nik Apr 11th 2011 3:01 am

Hi Craig
Add Mark and I to your list - would be great to have a night out. just need to sort out a babysitter!:thumbsup:

Scottie Claire Apr 11th 2011 3:36 am

Don't do beer or whiskey, odd for a Scot I know, but I do wine?
Any plans for going out and about this weekend?
Cheers, Claire fae Fife, via Edinburgh & Manchester.

craigjohnstone Apr 12th 2011 6:14 am

Ok, let's get this show on the road.

Whilst I hope there will be many more, would anyone be about and fancy some form of catch-up this weekend? Saturday night I guess would be more suitable for those of you working.

Having only been here a few weeks and still just finding our way, am happy to take a recommendation on where to first meet and then just allow the 'Stella Porter' to take us all wherever seems most appropriate after that.

All those in favour take one step forward.

Scottie Claire Apr 12th 2011 6:30 pm

I'm free this Saturday night.
Are you still in the CBD or have you moved to a different area?
Have you ventured over the bridge yet and sampled the glittering delights of Takapuna, very nice on a warm night.
If that's too far, maybe Ponsonby as there's nice bars up there.
Ciao, Claire.

craigjohnstone Apr 13th 2011 6:15 am

Claire

Saturday night sounds good and we'd be up for somewhere like Ponsonby.

Anyone else interested in joining us?

CJ

nelsonpom Apr 13th 2011 7:38 am

Originally Posted by craigjohnstone (Post 9302013)
Claire

Saturday night sounds good and we'd be up for somewhere like Ponsonby.

Anyone else interested in joining us?

CJ

Well hopefully you will be meet regularly, in which case I will see you all in a few weeks after my trip back to the uk.