Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Who's gone to NZ - left and gone back again?

Who's gone to NZ - left and gone back again?

Old Nov 27th 2012, 12:22 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's gone to NZ - left and gone back again?

As I recall, the good people of Palmy got all precious over Cleese's comments and named a dump after him...........did Invercargil-ites do anything about the Stones?

Was down in PN on business when it was all over the local paper, but was not born when Richards said that.........

Anyroad Palmy has a very bad reputation amongst the locals up here in the Super City. A bye-word for a crap place to live. Didn't seem so to me although having too many students about in a rural/small city or town can be a problem in my experience.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Palmy amd liked it! The library is excellent and the river, Esplanade and surrounding country are very attractive. I preferred it to Auckland...but then that's me...
Old Nov 27th 2012, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice

Yes but you have to remember for those of you that outside of Palmy, his show wasn't very well received here so it was a bit of 'sour grapes' I think. Kiri Te Kanawa also wasn't very happy with PN even though she is patron of the Regent Theatre. Maybe she's not got it anymore and her ticket prices were very high, many people couldn't afford it, or couldn't be bothered, I know my inlaws who go to many cultural performances and shows weren't prepared to pay that much.

We did name the city dump 'Mount Cleese' after his visit.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

We decided not to go back to NZ so quickly after all. We have given ourselves time to 'normalise' here, to just stop talking about it and live in the moment - and we are still in UK. However... just had a wonderful holiday in India and confessed to each other that we want to do more travelling. So maybe NZ for a bit or somewhere else.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:48 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JaneRiley
We decided not to go back to NZ so quickly after all. We have given ourselves time to 'normalise' here, to just stop talking about it and live in the moment - and we are still in UK. However... just had a wonderful holiday in India and confessed to each other that we want to do more travelling. So maybe NZ for a bit or somewhere else.
India!!!!

Go on - what do you think of the standards of driving in that country???

Make here and East London look good
Old Apr 5th 2013, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

We had a brilliant driver who seemed to use magic powers to avoid other vehicles, cows, 5 people on a motor bike (no helmets), dogs, auto-rickshaws, people pushing wheelbarrows, bicycles, hugely loaded lorries painted like circus trailers, beggars and small children - not to mention the other cars. Everyone sounding their horns and weaving in and out. This happened everywhere yet we didn't have any accidents.
I've got to say it explains a lot about the Indian man in Palmy who ignored the traffic lights and merrily drove into the side of another car. He seemed confused at the general reactions around him! Honestly though, NZ driving is something else.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:11 am

daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Who's gone to NZ - left and gone back again?

Originally Posted by JaneRiley
So.... we spent nearly three years in NZ and then we came back to UK. very expensive business but we felt it was right, or rather I did. Family ties were pulling me. However after seeing everyone again they haven't bothered where we are!
So do we give in to our innermost feelings and go back or just shut up and stay? I would appreciate any views on this.
Is this a common thing to do? Are we just like everyone else and is this a common phase people go through?
Would a holiday lay it to rest?
help!
yes we emigrated to Christchurch 2 years, onto Canada 1 year, back to Christchurch 2 years, back to Canada 4 years, back to Auckland 1 year and now in UK to see family and friends which is working ok,but every one has their own lives to live and day to day life goes on and so sometimes people appear not to be too bothered, but they have their own lives to get on with ... who knows what the future holds ...
Old Apr 5th 2013, 8:27 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daisycutter
yes we emigrated to Christchurch 2 years, onto Canada 1 year, back to Christchurch 2 years, back to Canada 4 years, back to Auckland 1 year and now in UK to see family and friends which is working ok,but every one has their own lives to live and day to day life goes on and so sometimes people appear not to be too bothered, but they have their own lives to get on with ... who knows what the future holds ...
Blimey you must have money to burn?
Old Apr 6th 2013, 9:42 pm

daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Who's gone to NZ - left and gone back again?

Originally Posted by love30stm
Blimey you must have money to burn?
not really ... forex has always been my bestest friend, always moved the right way at the right time and always made out of it ... cheers.