Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Who's gone to NZ - left and gone back again?

Who's gone to NZ - left and gone back again?

Old Nov 24th 2012, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Wendy99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who's gone to NZ - left and gone back again?

Haha awolkiwi, I agree with you, I have also lived in Palmy and would definitely consider it a rural lifestyle! But the person that posted that lives in Wanganui (where I have also lived), so I guess it's all relative. That's not a criticism, it's just that different things suit different people. I'm a city girl through and through so those places felt very 'country' to me.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 12:05 pm
Banned

mikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to all

Didn't Mick Jagger call Palmy North the "arsehole of the universe"?
Old Nov 25th 2012, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

awolkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikesurf
I am surprised that the Stones would have even gone to PN. I wonder what Mick would have made of the back off beyond in NZ - Ekatahuna, or Tamaranui...
Old Nov 25th 2012, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt he'd even know how to spell it
Old Nov 25th 2012, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rolfie
I doubt he'd even know how to spell it
Old Nov 25th 2012, 7:41 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy99
Haha awolkiwi, I agree with you, I have also lived in Palmy and would definitely consider it a rural lifestyle! But the person that posted that lives in Wanganui (where I have also lived), so I guess it's all relative. That's not a criticism, it's just that different things suit different people. I'm a city girl through and through so those places felt very 'country' to me.
The person was me!!! And having lived in a city (Coventry) and regularly went to London!! Palmy is not a village or neither is it a city, it does have a shopping mall and bars, i don't think a country village in the uk does??? So would not say it was actually a rural lifestyle come on!
Old Nov 25th 2012, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by love30stm
The person was me!!! And having lived in a city (Coventry) and regularly went to London!! Palmy is not a village or neither is it a city, it does have a shopping mall and bars, i don't think a country village in the uk does??? So would not say it was actually a rural lifestyle come on!
In reality, when I was last there, I was very aware of the student feel to the town. It also has strong tramping clubs, a good swimming centre for families and is only a few miles from the manawatu gorge for basic whitewater kayaking. I would probably like it better now than when I was younger.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 7:49 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by awolkiwi
In reality, when I was last there, I was very aware of the student feel to the town. It also has strong tramping clubs, a good swimming centre for families and is only a few miles from the manawatu gorge for basic whitewater kayaking. I would probably like it better now than when I was younger.
I didn't say I liked Palmy just saying I wouldn't consider it a rural lifestyle
Old Nov 25th 2012, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice

Originally Posted by awolkiwi
Palmerston North has changed ALOT in the last 20 years. My husband grew up there and it was very very quiet and conservative. Now it has great theatre, superb shopping, great choice of restaurants, good schools, including Massey and UCOL, easy to get around. You can drive 5 mins and be in the country, close to Wellington and only 40 mins to the coast if you like that sort of thing.
Great place for families, we've lived here for 9 years after 16 in Auckland and 22 years in UK - love it. May not stay in this town for ever but it has everything we need and while our kids are still at school (10 min walk for both of them) we will stay here.
Loved my recent visit back to UK - but soooo glad I don't live there anymore, way too busy for me and house prices were mad!
My step brother just bought himself a little 3 bed semi in Hammersmith for 700,000 pounds eeek!
BTW my family are all in the UK - but I have my own family and don't need to be around them on a regular basis, happy to have a catch up every 2-3 years.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Wendy99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by love30stm
I didn't say I liked Palmy just saying I wouldn't consider it a rural lifestyle
I'm laughing a little bit at myself now as I live in a small town in the UK and I regularly get stuck behind tractors while driving around, so I am definitely rural.

There's just something about Palmy though that screams 'agriculture' to me and I'm not sure what it is. I just know that I feel like I'm having an allergic reaction every time I contemplate going there! I clearly have P. Nth related issues!
Old Nov 25th 2012, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Bumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really niceBumptious is just really nice

Well as my mother in law says after living here for 48 years: "it is an agricultural town".
Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

No it was John Cleese
Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kenpom
No it was John Cleese
Some think it was Jagger, some Keith Richards, but whoever it was wasn't talking about PN - they were referring to Invercargill.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Nov 27th 2012 at 9:31 am.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Some think it was Jagger, some Keith Richards, but whoever it was wasn't talking about PN - they were referring to Invercargill.

Nope John Cleese, and Palmerston North it was.

Cleese calls the city "the suicide capital of New Zealand" and says, "If you wish to kill yourself but lack the courage to, I think a visit to Palmerston North will do the trick."
Cleese did not stop there.
"We stayed in a little motel. The weather was grotty, the theatre was a nasty shape and the audience was very strange to play to."
Cleese said the audience laughed in all the wrong places and he had a "thoroughly bloody miserable time" in the city.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

I can only presume you haven't read the thread properly. That doesn't say that Cleese called PN "the arsehole of the universe".

Cleese wouldn't need to use such coarse language, he's too clever for that.

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/southland-region/11

"After a 1965 world tour that included Invercargill, Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards reputedly called the city ‘the arsehole of the world’. Before Southland’s 2005 clash with the British Lions rugby team, BBC commentator Brian Moore compared Invercargill to ‘Chernobyl … or Bhopal or wherever really’. 1 On the other hand, British comedian John Cleese, after rounding on Palmerston North as ‘the suicide capital of New Zealand’, said Invercargill was ‘delightful’."

Last edited by TommyLuck; Nov 27th 2012 at 10:12 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.