Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Who's gone to NZ - left and gone back again?

Who's gone to NZ - left and gone back again?

Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

jules999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who's gone to NZ - left and gone back again?

We are ping pong poms - we had a year in NZ in 2005. Didn't really buy into - husband had a years sabbatical and we only rented so it made it really easy to give into homesickness when it struck - first big mistake. I missed my mum so much and family made it as difficult for us as possible ( taking their grandchildren away ) so we returned and things were not the happy ever after. My mum died unexpectedly 3 months after we got back. All the reasons why we left the UK were still there and we had lost our residency. So we now looked forward, have made a realistic plan ( learned from our mistakes first time round ) and are heading back in 2013. I am so much happier in my own skin than I was the first time round - I guess it is a bit like having a second baby in theory the shock ( or culture shock in reference to NZ ) is not so big. For what is it worth I would recommend to anyone who wants to do it to go for it 110% + - buy a house, join every club, rescue a cat / dog ... put down roots and always look forward - do not become a whinging pom and self indulge ... it is not impossible to ping pom but it is costly both financlally end emotionally
Old Oct 18th 2012, 12:22 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Can relate to the above post. Sorry your mum died so suddenly after your return to UK last time. My mum died in 2005 too.

We've been to NZ for a few holidays not least to visit his family. It was really his idea to relocate to NZ.

Kiwi and husband and I have got a job each (after a long, thankless search), we adopted 2 cats (one ran away to live with a family in the next street, but hey). We've purchased our own house and generally done the things you've said you will do. We go to a weekly excercise class. I'm/we're not a big joiner of clubs etc, just not really our thing.

I suppose anybody can be petty, not just whingeing poms. However all my complaints re: NZ and life here are justified. Yeah, justified by me !!

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 18th 2012 at 12:24 am.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

gazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jules999
We are ping pong poms - we had a year in NZ in 2005. Didn't really buy into - husband had a years sabbatical and we only rented so it made it really easy to give into homesickness when it struck - first big mistake. I missed my mum so much and family made it as difficult for us as possible ( taking their grandchildren away ) so we returned and things were not the happy ever after. My mum died unexpectedly 3 months after we got back. All the reasons why we left the UK were still there and we had lost our residency. So we now looked forward, have made a realistic plan ( learned from our mistakes first time round ) and are heading back in 2013. I am so much happier in my own skin than I was the first time round - I guess it is a bit like having a second baby in theory the shock ( or culture shock in reference to NZ ) is not so big. For what is it worth I would recommend to anyone who wants to do it to go for it 110% + - buy a house, join every club, rescue a cat / dog ... put down roots and always look forward - do not become a whinging pom and self indulge ... it is not impossible to ping pom but it is

costly both financlally end emotionally
We arrived in July last year, we were convinced our future was in NZ.
However, our intention was to rent for two years, take 3 month out and see the the country before we got back in the "rat race". The reality was I was offered a job within 3 weeks, we bought a house within 6 weeks and we have never looked back since.

To be honest it was the best thing we ever did, work has provided a huge learning curve for me, a large network of friends and countless opportunities. Settling in Arkles Bay, Whangaparaoa has been wonderful for my wife and children, school is fantastic and a lovely community feel surrounds us every day, we have a quality of life that surpasses all of our expectations.

Unfortunately our youngest daughter was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour 6 months ago, our world collapsed around us! You would think our first reaction would be to jump on the first plane "home". However, the reaction from the whole community was overwhelming, countless people turned up at our front door (and still do) with home cooked food, all kinds of gifts and kind words, hugs and offers of support. People have offered their homes to friends and family from the UK, our oldest daughters school arrived on our first day back home from Starship hospital after the
initial diagnosis with a months worth of shopping, they then organised a birthday party complete with food, gifts and the use of the school for our oldest girls birthday.

We didn't know most of the people who came to our aid before the diagnosis, we never asked for
help or publicised our situation, the local community just responded as only they know how....we are forever in their debt! Its quite sad but i'm not sure a Kiwi family or any other family for that matter in a similar situation would have received the same response in the UK!? Two ladies arrived separately today, one armed with cake, lollies and books for the girls, the second lady brought a beautiful lemon meringue, I find it very moving indeed!

We have never felt alone, we have never felt homesick and we will NEVER go back!

I guess the point I am trying to make is this; if you come here and accept that life is not going to
be a constant holiday, accept that you will have to get up and go to work and accept that life will be "normal" after a while. If you can do that and engage with the local community then you will settle much quicker, you will relax and enjoy this beautiful country with it's beautiful people and learn to call NZ home.

Good luck with your decision and I hope you can follow your heart.

Gary

Last edited by gazmfc; Oct 19th 2012 at 10:30 am.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Gary - I have tried to put into words how sad it was to read of your daughter, but it sounded trite. All I can say is we should all treat each other the way you were treated when you received her diagnosis - life is so short and precious. best wishes.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

stonemason is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ya, we are sort of in the same ping pong boat. NZ has some great things about it. But some stink stuff too. Lower incomes, price of living and racism.
Loads of kiwi's are leaving for Aus.Maybe NZ wasn't quite right for you.What about Sardinia ? We just got here it is an amazing place and only two hours flight from London.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

small problem - don't speak Italian.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Esj7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we moved back as friends family pull was strong having been in nz for 10 years, we to are not sure if it was the right decision I think once you make a change like that in your life and you have good friends/family there will always be a pull. Coming back has been a real challenge as we have no credit rating, no insurance history ect and looking for work is very hard. And now we miss good friends we have made in NZ! I now feel a little jelous of people who stay in one place. But I am glad I have had my life experience as it makes us who we are. No one can say you are a failure if you experience life! Your gut instinct is what we should listen to and not our head I think.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

ESJ7
I think you are so right, we are now in theprocess of heading home for the 2nd time in February this is for us and no one else, we are under no illusions. The best bit is I have a really good job to go back to in a nice part of the country, we are going back with no money as we lost that ona bad inpulsive purchase of a house 6 weeks in last time to try and put down roots, but we have our health and our family (the 3 of us) and thats all that matters
good luck to those who ar struggling to make a decision.

I do not regret any of what we have done I think things are mean't for a reason having lost my mum when she was only 51 I have learnt to enjoy and grab every opportunity 15 years ago if you said to me I would spend several years living & working abroad I would not have believed you.
All I say is do what right for you and do not regret any of it life is too short
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 8:40 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Here here.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk
ESJ7
I think you are so right, we are now in theprocess of heading home for the 2nd time in February this is for us and no one else, we are under no illusions. The best bit is I have a really good job to go back to in a nice part of the country, we are going back with no money as we lost that ona bad inpulsive purchase of a house 6 weeks in last time to try and put down roots, but we have our health and our family (the 3 of us) and thats all that matters
good luck to those who ar struggling to make a decision.

I do not regret any of what we have done I think things are mean't for a reason having lost my mum when she was only 51 I have learnt to enjoy and grab every opportunity 15 years ago if you said to me I would spend several years living & working abroad I would not have believed you.
All I say is do what right for you and do not regret any of it life is too short
Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Here here.
i second that! I left the UK in 2009 to go travelling round the world for a year at the age of 29 - something that I never ever every dreamed of doing. 3 years later i'm living in NZ. I have no idea what the future holds.....exciting!
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 11:57 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
i second that! I left the UK in 2009 to go travelling round the world for a year at the age of 29 - something that I never ever every dreamed of doing. 3 years later i'm living in NZ. I have no idea what the future holds.....exciting!
Cool, I went travelling when I was 32, never made it back to the Uk and three years later I was living in NZ! That was eight years ago and I still feel like I am travelling, if that makes any sense ( I am writing this with my three year old perched on my lap).
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:11 am
Banned

mikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to all

I was in NZ for 6 years and realised that NZ is a long way to go to get away from whatever it is you need to get away from. Yes the UK stinks sometimes as does anywhere once you have got over the tinted glasses syndrome. We decided we wanted to be back in Europe and at least be close to family and friends, so we opted for France and have not looked back. People are so friendly, weather is great, culture is rich and friends and family are near. £70 return flight from Beziers.

My advice is that you don't need to got to the end of the earth to NZ for what is essentially the UK in the past, with a few more mountains etc. If you need to escape be a little more adventurous and learn a new language.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikesurf
My advice is that you don't need to got to the end of the earth to NZ for what is essentially the UK in the past, with a few more mountains etc. If you need to escape be a little more adventurous and learn a new language.

The ceasefire has ended.

Your post starts off well, then got unncessary.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 9:39 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikesurf
I was in NZ for 6 years and realised that NZ is a long way to go to get away from whatever it is you need to get away from. Yes the UK stinks sometimes as does anywhere once you have got over the tinted glasses syndrome. We decided we wanted to be back in Europe and at least be close to family and friends, so we opted for France and have not looked back. People are so friendly, weather is great, culture is rich and friends and family are near. £70 return flight from Beziers.

Not everyone is running away Mike. In my experience NZ is not the UK 20 years ago, it is its own unquie place. It obviously does not sit well with everyone.

Sounds like you and your family are having a great time in France, my parents used to live near Toulouse, a great part of the world. I am sure all those lovely people on the French branch of the B.E. would love to hear about how you are getting on!
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

awolkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by love30stm
I wouldnt call Palmerston North a rural lifestyle??
I would! I spent 10 years there, most of the time feeling as if I was living in a pot with a lid on it . Most of PN is very flat, but from certain angles the hills on two sides weemed to me to be the sides of the pot.
However, it has some great kayaking contacts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.