British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   who's classed as dependent (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/whos-classed-dependent-523457/)

sean bassett Mar 21st 2008 6:15 pm

who's classed as dependent

hi
looking at emigrating to NZ but wanted to know who is classed as dependent, i know anyone under 18 is but what about over 18,
the query relates to my son who is 18 and is now living in a nursing care home fully funded by our NHS and social services as he has a very severe learning disability, if we were to apply would he be classed as our dependent?? even though he will be staying here and will never emigrate with us
any thoughts would be welcome

helinuk Mar 23rd 2008 2:38 am

Re: who's classed as dependent

Originally Posted by sean bassett (Post 6093981)
hi
looking at emigrating to NZ but wanted to know who is classed as dependent, i know anyone under 18 is but what about over 18,
the query relates to my son who is 18 and is now living in a nursing care home fully funded by our NHS and social services as he has a very severe learning disability, if we were to apply would he be classed as our dependent?? even though he will be staying here and will never emigrate with us

Hi
It refers, I think, to someone you have to fund, so for instance our son is at university in uk and we had to prove with bank statements that we put money into his bank account and he is dependant on us financially.

I would think NZIS would want to know that your son is going to stay in uk and you would not be wanting to bring him to nz with you because they rarely allow anyone with medical problems etc to emigrate.
HTH

sean bassett Mar 23rd 2008 7:31 pm

thanks for reply, even if we wanted him to come he wouldnt pass medical,
we were refused a visa for australia when he was 16 and was then our dependent, he isnt now our dependent and would be staying here in uk, im trying to find out if australia would accept us now that hes no longer our dependent but it seems they might still class him as our dependent, so we are trying to find out if NZ have the same rules, im lead to believe they dont but we will see, im not fussed where we live AUS or NZ as long as its away from uk:)

Pollyana Mar 24th 2008 2:16 am

Originally Posted by sean bassett (Post 6101234)
thanks for reply, even if we wanted him to come he wouldnt pass medical,
we were refused a visa for australia when he was 16 and was then our dependent, he isnt now our dependent and would be staying here in uk, im trying to find out if australia would accept us now that hes no longer our dependent but it seems they might still class him as our dependent, so we are trying to find out if NZ have the same rules, im lead to believe they dont but we will see, im not fussed where we live AUS or NZ as long as its away from uk:)

IMHO, its generally a good idea to migrate somewhere because you want to go to that country, not because you are running away from the UK. Australia and NZ are vastly different countries, and you really should try and move to one because you want to go there, not just because tis somewhere that will accept you.

danny.f Mar 24th 2008 9:06 am

Originally Posted by sean bassett (Post 6093981)
hi

Going to sound like a prick-but your grammar is spot on with the title thread. makes a beautiful difference!

sean bassett Mar 25th 2008 5:47 pm

i take your point pollyanna, but when i looked at aus 2 years ago never considered NZ , i wouldnt move somewhere to just escape uk its got to be the right place to move to, im still researching NZ and havent come to any conclusion yet, will take a lot of research and this is where the forum is useful, but its not even worth researching if there not going to let me in because of who they class as dependent. have you any suggestions of how i can find out as thats really my starting point, there is no point doing the research then getting to a point where we think yes this is where we want to go to then be told no way you cant come in as your son who is staying in the uk is classed as your dependent, it gets ones hopes up, we were very disappointed when we were refused a visa for AUS for those reasons having been told by our useless agent that we stood a good chance!!
sean