Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Whoops....there goes the outdoor lifestyle

Whoops....there goes the outdoor lifestyle

Old Oct 17th 2012, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whoops....there goes the outdoor lifestyle

My beach on the peninsular was lovely, I really miss it

Have decided to add Assanah to my block list, I'm sick of all this negative bullshit
Old Oct 17th 2012, 6:22 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps NZ can take heart that according to this site :
http://www.numbeo.com/pollution/rankings_current.jsp

in terms of pollution, Christchurch is ranked 5th best out of 137 world cities surveyed and Auckland 21st best.

Oh dear ... Germany is not looking too promising on the outdoor lifestyle front. 6th worst polluter in the world, apparently.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy

Oh dear ... Germany is not looking too promising on the outdoor lifestyle front. 6th worst polluter in the world, apparently.
Back to life, back to reality... not sure how you do the maths but this stupid arsed ranking takes no account of the numbers of population. It does however show that a city such a Berlin with 3.5m people is significantly less polluted than Auckland with less than 1.5m people, so I wouldn't get too excited about that little hall of shame.

NZ's place on the scale is purely down to its lower population rather than anything smart or clever being done here to make it so.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 7:31 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Back to life, back to reality... not sure how you do the maths but this stupid arsed ranking takes no account of the numbers of population. It does however show that a city such a Berlin with 3.5m people is significantly less polluted than Auckland with less than 1.5m people, so I wouldn't get too excited about that little hall of shame.

NZ's place on the scale is purely down to its lower population rather than anything smart or clever being done here to make it so.
Might have known you would come up with something negative, what a surprise
Old Oct 17th 2012, 8:24 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't mean to suggest NZ is doing anything clever. As you said, population is a big part of the amount of pollution. But pollution is pollution, is it not? It's not like because a population is 10 times bigger, they can share the pollution around between them, like say government debt. 10 people breathing in air that is 10 times more polluted is not the same healthwise as 1 person breathing in air that is 1/10th as polluted. What do you reckon?

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Last edited by waikatoguy; Oct 17th 2012 at 8:26 am.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 1:00 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Um, the issues are generally with NZ rivers, not the sea per se. Rivers tend to be hugely affected by the previous rainfall prior to testing. Hard not to get Ag runoff after heavy rains so I'm not sure this is suitabke as a general warning.

Incidentally, in 2008 German beaches were graded as declining in quality so it is hard to get right in many places.

Ag runoff tends to be what it is, you can't generally clean at source or limit the output into the water as you can with industrial waste by treatment or diversion away from the river.

So, big milk production = lots of cow poop = poor river water quality after rains, ie now.Reducing rainfall will improve the river water quality into the summer...

Its kind of a circle of life thing

Way over the top thread title BTW.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 1:04 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Don't rise to it people.

Assanah has posted some article along with a negative comment and is probably sat back laughing at our responses without adding one herself. Little bit of trolling me thinks.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 17th 2012 at 8:30 pm. Reason: Cut out the personal jubes please. Thanks
Old Oct 17th 2012, 8:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
What do you reckon?
Good grief is what I reckon.
Cut out the personal jibes some of you people.

Yes. I can see this thread topic will be seen as 'negative' by those of you that have no interest in what goes on here in the wider NZ, but this is a subject being discussed here in New Zealand.

Close Up tried to discuss this last night.( Not well I might add)

The state of some of our NZ waterways has become cause for increasing concern. No good turning a blind eye to that. I like the idea of being able to go to my council website to check on the water quality of where may want to swim or kayak. There again, I'm used to that idea because of Blue Flag. I think it's a great idea for the general public & I also think that NZ needs to keep it's eye on the ball with this.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 9:00 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
Good grief is what I reckon.
Cut out the personal jibes some of you people.

Yes. I can see this thread topic will be seen as 'negative' by those of you that have no interest in what goes on here in the wider NZ, but this is a subject being discussed here in New Zealand.

Close Up tried to discuss this last night.( Not well I might add)

The state of some of our NZ waterways has become cause for increasing concern. No good turning a blind eye to that. I like the idea of being able to go to my council website to check on the water quality of where may want to swim or kayak. There again, I'm used to that idea because of Blue Flag. I think it's a great idea for the general public & I also think that NZ needs to keep it's eye on the ball with this.
That maybe so, but the point of the thread by the poster was a negative one like always yes?
Old Oct 17th 2012, 9:27 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by love30stm
That maybe so, but the point of the thread by the poster was a negative one like always yes?
Please re-read my first post to this thread.

& perhaps Rule 15.