Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Who to send boxes with?

Who to send boxes with?

Old Aug 19th 2010, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

abbey_o is just really niceabbey_o is just really niceabbey_o is just really niceabbey_o is just really niceabbey_o is just really niceabbey_o is just really niceabbey_o is just really niceabbey_o is just really niceabbey_o is just really nice
Default Who to send boxes with?

Hi there,
Sorry ye may well have answered this one before, but here goes anyway.
My OH and I are flying to Auckland on the 12th October and as we have booked with brunei we are only allowed 20kgs each( not alot), And I have checked this forum but can only find ans about containers,
We don't have our own home so no need to send furniture( have both been living with the good ole parents), but as he is a surveyor heading over to help with leaky buildings(I hear there are a lot of them) and I am a dog groomer, we need to send our equipment over as well as some books etc and any other bits and bobs that would otherwise make us go over our 20kg each.
Do any of ye have any advice on which crowd we could use that aren't too expensive and that won't take months to get there( I need my equipment for job interviews else it will be pot noodles for me) Any help ye can give me would be really appreciated. Thanks a million in advance,Also we have a friends address we can get them sent to as we have no accom yet but will be looking when we get out there.
Cheers, Abbey
Old Aug 19th 2010, 8:07 pm
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Who to send boxes with?

Hi, not got any specific knowledge on this BUT if you need the stuff quickly (which you obviously do) it'll have to go by Air which for a start makes it somewhat pricier than the slower sea journey. My dad sends stuff for us and the kids via Parcel Force - an iPhone (a very small box) cost £38 to post insured for £200 so your stuff I would guess would be very expensive using that route. You could start by looking here
or by simply googling "air cargo to nz" .
I would imagine though that there'll be a few more replies below this one soon , hopefully someone will have more specific knowledge - good luck
Old Aug 19th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who to send boxes with?

I sent my boxes with Seven Seas.
Seems good so far although I only arrived in NZ a couple of days ago so my boxes have only just started on their journey. Everything has happened in the time scales they quoted and drop off of boxes and collection has gone smoothly too.
It does take about 12 weeks to get them by boat but you could get then sent by air if you need them faster than that. Air does cost a lot more though, I shipped 18 boxes, by boat I'm paying about £400, by air my quote was £2000+
Old Aug 19th 2010, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe find out the cost of taking an extra case on the flight with all your most imortant stuff in. May work out cheaper or go over your weight and pay but find out the price first as you will get a shock otherwise! 20kg is not much is it!
Old Aug 20th 2010, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirl
Maybe find out the cost of taking an extra case on the flight with all your most imortant stuff in. May work out cheaper or go over your weight and pay but find out the price first as you will get a shock otherwise! 20kg is not much is it!
Good suggestion Shirl.

Otherwise you could try companies directed at young kiwi's on their OE who tend to send stuff back in boxes rather than in containers. Sorry, don't have any suggestions of companies but try googling TNT magazine, they have loads of adverts re: shipping. Not sure about flying stuff over?? But worth a looksie.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Good suggestion Shirl.

Otherwise you could try companies directed at young kiwi's on their OE who tend to send stuff back in boxes rather than in containers. Sorry, don't have any suggestions of companies but try googling TNT magazine, they have loads of adverts re: shipping. Not sure about flying stuff over?? But worth a looksie.
Yep this is good advice - Anglo Pacific, Excess Baggage etc they all advertise in TNT magazine. We sent 2 boxes back a couple of years ago with Excess Baggage and it was fine but slow. This time round we've still gone the boxes route but because there's more have paid them a bit extra to come pack it for me

If it is your work stuff then see how much it would cost surface mail as shipping can take up to 12 weeks. Basically, because your box has to wait until it can go onto a full container it can take much longer. How much stuff do you need to send? as it may be easier just to pack it up and pay the excess baggage on the plane. I'm having to do this with (of all things) my wedding dress!

Or, the other option is to package it up yourself and take it to the Post Office if it isn't a huge box of stuff? I was thinking of posting my wedding dress over (Don't need it apart from sentimental reasons am old married fart now of all of 5 months ) and they gave me quite a good quote but in the end just decided to take it with us.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 6:43 am
Just Joined

abbey_o is just really niceabbey_o is just really niceabbey_o is just really niceabbey_o is just really niceabbey_o is just really niceabbey_o is just really niceabbey_o is just really niceabbey_o is just really niceabbey_o is just really nice

Thanks a million for all the replies, have contacted a few so just waiting for them to get back to me, Brunei charge over £40 per kg over your weight so that option is def a no goer, I suppose you get what you pay for with airlines, I went with them cos the flights were under £900.
Thanks again for all ye're help.
Abbey
Old Aug 21st 2010, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by abbey_o
Thanks a million for all the replies, have contacted a few so just waiting for them to get back to me, Brunei charge over £40 per kg over your weight so that option is def a no goer, I suppose you get what you pay for with airlines, I went with them cos the flights were under £900.
Thanks again for all ye're help.
Abbey
We've just heard that our boxes will arrive on 4 October so that's 2 months. Just to give you an idea! Good luck
Old Aug 21st 2010, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

We used to send things via Parcel Force which takes about 5 - 7 days plus you can track it. Maybe this would be too expensive but its worth asking at the Post Office.

June