British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Who is in NZ to stay? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/who-nz-stay-774089/)

GoingIn2011 Oct 9th 2012 11:07 am

Who is in NZ to stay?

Ok, I know you can never say never but I have seen a few threads with people going back to the UK.

Just wondering who here, unless something totally unforeseen happens of a very dramatic nature, has no plans to live permanently in the UK but plans to remain in NZ til the end of their days if at all possible?

Just curious...

simonsi Oct 9th 2012 12:07 pm

Re: Who is in NZ to stay?

Nothing pulling us back at the moment, have undergone the passing of close family members too so feeling well settled :thumbsup:

Expat Kiwi Oct 9th 2012 1:08 pm

Other than the draw of family and friends the things that seem to pull people back are lack of money, ill health, losing a partner, losing a job or moving back for a better one.

No one emigrates expecting to 'fail' (and I use the term very loosely) everyone gives it their best shot and most positive frame of mind but sometimes life just gets in the way.

love30stm Oct 9th 2012 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 10321480)
Nothing pulling us back at the moment, have undergone the passing of close family members too so feeling well settled :thumbsup:

Same about passing family members, but I don't want to stay in wangas for life! :rofl:

simonsi Oct 9th 2012 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10322246)
...I don't want to stay in wangas for lift! :rofl:

:rofl: or life even :rofl:

Bit Freudian M'dear??? :)

love30stm Oct 9th 2012 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 10322264)
:rofl: or life even :rofl:

Bit Freudian M'dear??? :)

oops :p:rofl: corrected it :)

love30stm Oct 9th 2012 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 10321591)
Other than the draw of family and friends the things that seem to pull people back are lack of money, ill health, losing a partner, losing a job or moving back for a better one.

No one emigrates expecting to 'fail' (and I use the term very loosely) everyone gives it their best shot and most positive frame of mind but sometimes life just gets in the way.

Now set to IGNORE

simonmarkellis Oct 9th 2012 7:46 pm

Here for the long haul, not going back...:thumbsup:

RJT UK Oct 9th 2012 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 10322278)
Now set to IGNORE

Ha! Think I might join you on that one:-)

Catchafire Oct 9th 2012 8:27 pm

Eight years in! Long may it continue!

scrubbedexpat094 Oct 9th 2012 8:38 pm

Well I am for now:)

OH is very settled here & wouldn't want to go back. Me, I swing back & forth but I'm generally happy here. I will be even happier if I could get a new career on the go & then my life would have more of a purpose. I don't like not working, so I'm hoping that in 2013 everything is going to start coming together.

That's the final piece of the jigsaw for me & I believe it will make me feel more settled.

One of the big reasons not to go back to the UK is that that is where the out-laws live :sneaky:

GoingIn2011 Oct 10th 2012 1:29 am

Alrighty!!

It's always going to be a bit of a calculated gamble moving from the UK (or wherever) to settle on the other side of the world. And for some, it has not worked out they way they thought it would. That's fair enough. But I just wanted to hear form those whose gamble had worked out.

Our calculated gamble is working out at the moment but we are only a year in. If it carries on like this, we are no way going back. And we've had our fair share of downs this year - my grandmother died, my best friend (and daughter's Godmother) got married which I had waited 15 years to happen and we couldn't go to the wedding. Some good stuff has happened though - my parents have changed their minds about coming over to visit and have even booked their flights. They've never been out of Europe before and hate flying!

OH will be happier when his career is on a better footing but yeah, here we happily are in NZ. Speaking personally, I absolutely love it. Older kids are not so happy but there's still lots of time for them to come round in the end!

kcampbell Oct 10th 2012 1:48 am

9 years and love it more every day - never go back!

Ninja757 Oct 10th 2012 4:56 am

Staying! Been here just over 15 months and still enjoying life. Both working hard in good jobs and 15 year old is liking his school and has loads of mates!.......Eldest Daughter and Grand daughter are visiting at the New Year too which will be great!:thumbsup:

love30stm Oct 10th 2012 5:07 am

Nice positive posts! Only wish we could afford to live in Auckland on the wage drop my husband would get if he applied for jobs he's seen on seek :(