Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Who likes this 'dump'..NZ that is?

Who likes this 'dump'..NZ that is?

Old May 21st 2008, 8:05 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who likes this 'dump'..NZ that is?

I love it 70%. I dislike it 30%. If I leave I promise, promise, promise not to end up loitering around this forum desperately venting negativity. What *is* with that?

There are loads of things that are awesome about NZ- it's quite special, but it's not some kind of paradise that you can just rock up to and expect the good life- the hard work really begins when you arrive.
Old May 21st 2008, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Add me to the happy clappers too.

I think I agree with Bourbon_biscuit... 70% love, 30% hate... what kind of backward country says "no" to Ikea?????
Old May 21st 2008, 8:58 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably 90/10% in favour - I love it here and the 10% is just life - I disliked other countries I've lived in far more than 10% and still managed to be happy

what kind of backward country says "no" to Ikea?????

I read this recently on an Irish blog - isn't this the reason it's not opening here?

THE opening of the state's first Ikea store could be held up for a year due to delays in the upgrade of the M50 motorway.Under the Swedish store's planning conditions, it cannot be opened on the outskirts of Ballymun in Dublin until a crucial interchange is completed by the contractors working for the National Roads Authority.The head of Ballymun Regeneration Limited, Ciaran Murray admitted yesterday that the opening of the €100m flatpack furniture store could be pushed from January 2009 to January 2010 as a result."There is certainly a concern there could be a significant time delay," he said.An Bord Pleanala has insisted on the necessity of the Ballymun interchange upgrade due to fears that the huge traffic levels to Ikea -- 2.8m shoppers or 400 an hour -- could overwhelm the already...

Old May 21st 2008, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

add us to the happy clappers - been here nearly 3 years and no regrets.

Cheers
Vicki
Old May 21st 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

themoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant futurethemoores has a brilliant future

We have only been here 5 months and absolutely love it so far. Its not perfect, but we knew that when we were coming out. Anyone who thinks that it will be eutopia will be disappointed the perfect place doesn't exist. So far we have found it great - but we haven't experienced winter yet!!

The kids love it and are thriving. If they are happy, then so am I.......... also has something to do with enjoying the cheap (very) Australian wine!!
Old May 21st 2008, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joshlin
add us to the happy clappers - been here nearly 3 years and no regrets.

Cheers
Vicki
Well there you go pascalr. The survey seems to show NZ in rather a good light don't you think? Way, way from perfect as even the happy clappers will admit, nevertheless a good place to reside for now.

When are you out of here then??

Surely you can only take so much of the 'it's just not right' country.
Old May 21st 2008, 9:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

To be fair to this user, he does not have the right to reply right now. So perhaps the thread should keep 'on topic' rather than calling this person in to post when he can not.
Old May 21st 2008, 10:40 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Been here nearly a year now. It's certainly been challenging but in a good way. And as you all know I'm definitely firmly rooted in the happy camp
Old May 21st 2008, 10:45 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here 19 months now and wouldn't dream of going back to the UK.
Put me in the happy club
Old May 21st 2008, 11:47 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

I love NZ even though I'm not there! The good definitely outweighs the bad.

(Same for Oz, BTW)
Old May 21st 2008, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

It is the sort of place for people who do not mind hanging on by a thread scrimping and saving, paying high taxes and low wages. Crap health system, NO a poor poor place, best to go where you can earn more. House prices are out of reach for anyone with no capital, it is place to become a third world Brit par excellence and spend all your hard earned savings feeding the greedy Kiwi politicians
Old May 21st 2008, 6:48 pm
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Genesis
By popular demand here's a thread to find out who likes NZ.

Another one of our BE members (still perchance in a developmental stage of knowing if NZ is right for them!!!) described it as a 'dump' and he is keen to see how many will put their hands up and say......

I DO!!! I love NZ...totally and utterly for everything it has bought to my life. Warts and all...cos we all know it ain't perfect!!!!!

As a very 'happy clapper' I am always keen to help even some of the less positive members of our happy little forum.

Any more takers?

Thus far NZ is one nil to the happy crew.
Count me in, I love NZ

I moved here nearly 2.5 years ago and have no regrets. Of course the country isn't perfect but it suits me fine, and as another poster mentioned, life is what you make of it.

Jen
Old May 21st 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
It is the sort of place for people who do not mind hanging on by a thread scrimping and saving, paying high taxes and low wages. Crap health system, NO a poor poor place, best to go where you can earn more. House prices are out of reach for anyone with no capital, it is place to become a third world Brit par excellence and spend all your hard earned savings feeding the greedy Kiwi politicians
Do you need to change your avatar?
Old May 21st 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
We'll put you in the "no" camp then...
Old May 21st 2008, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
To be fair to this user, he does not have the right to reply right now. So perhaps the thread should keep 'on topic' rather than calling this person in to post when he can not.

Bev how do I know what he can do? I had no idea he could not post. He is the one who suggested this thread so I think the post is 'on topic'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.